rllmuk
Stigweard

Peaky Blinders - New Season 25th August 9pm BBC1

Just read about this today and it sounds like it could be really good. I love Boardwalk Empire so I'm hoping this show (set in the same time period) will have the same feel to it. It's also got some fairly big names in the leads too with Cillian Murphey and Sam Neill

The story starts in 1919 in the poor and crime ridden neighbourhoods of post war Birmingham. Returning World War I fighters, political revolutionaries and criminal gangs all fight for an existence in an industrial landscape engrossed by economic problems. Firearms smuggled home from the trenches find their way into the communities, Communists are planning for a violent revolution and Parliament is expecting it. Winston Churchill mobilizes his Special Branch forces to deal with these threats.

This TV series focuses on the Shelby family, whose many brothers and sisters, cousins and uncles, make up the fiercest gang of all, the 'Peaky Blinders'. Named for their practice of sewing razor blades into the peaks of their caps, the Peaky Blinders make their money from off-track betting, protection and robbery.

The Peaky Blinders are led by Tommy Shelby, the most violent brother of them all, but his leadership is about to be put to the test. A merciless Police Chief Lee J Jones arrives from Belfast to clean up the city and, perhaps even more dangerous, a beautiful woman named Grace Burgess arrives in the neighborhood with a mysterious past and a dangerous secret.

What's going on with Sam Neill's accent?

I thought his Irish accent was pretty good tbh. Some of the brummy accents weren't that great though and at one point one girl went scouse.

I did enjoy it though.

Watched the first episode on iPlayer earlier today, I quite liked it. Some of the accents are all over the place, but the rest of them are pretty spot on for the region. Apparently large chunks of this were filmed in Yorkshire, and also at the Black Country Museum in the Midlands.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the series progresses. I had no idea about this part of Birmingham's history, so it's always nice to learn some new things about your home town, even if it is with a whole dollop of dramatic licence.

What was episode 2 like? Haven't got round to watching it yet.

Very good, more character driven. Very violent start, showing why they are called the Peaky Blinders. And then some superb scenes with tense stand-offs between important characters.

Not much interest in this then? I enjoyed it. Tried a bit hard maybe but wonderful setting and atmosphere, decent cast, and generally something a little bit different from your standard gangster fare. I liked that every single episode had to have at least one slo-mo walk past exploding kilns.

Very end was a bit weak. The stand-off with Kimber was absurd - wasn't he talking about people taking the flanks and stuff a minute before but then basically everyone stood 10 feet from each other and pointed guns? And if he had that MG then why not just setup and take down most of the group before they even did anything? The intervention of Aida wasn't planned so I have no idea what his plan actually was. The final cliffhanger was a bit limp and unnecessary too.

But relative to some of the other output my licence fee goes on - Atlantis - I'm not going to complain. Hope it gets another series.

I've still not bothered - I'd just come off a three-season binge of Boardwalk Empire and it all seemed like it'd be too much similar and suffer by comparison. Maybe another time!

Bloody hope so. Thought that was great British telly. Clearly in thrall to Boardwalk, but it did its own thing really well. Loved the use of modern music - mostly White Stripes - to give it its own flavour. And Sam Neil was effing brilliant, his Belfast accent was hugely entertaining.

I was already absolutely buzzing about Season 2 coming out later this year but the news that Tom Hardy has signed on for it has all but confirmed this as the greatest British TV show of all time. Autumn can't come soon enough!

Anyone watching this then? Hardy is magnificent whenever he's on screen, seemingly playing a bizarre mix between his Bronson and Bane characters.

• Upvote 2

Yep great show, I caught up with season 1 on Netflix & season 2 I don't watch when first shown so usually leave till weekend to catch up via iplayer.

• Upvote 1

Anyone watching this then? Hardy is magnificent whenever he's on screen, seemingly playing a bizarre mix between his Bronson and Bane characters.

He's been the facking highlight of it, right mate?

• Upvote 2