Playstation VitaTV Announced

Robo_1

I suppose that's one way to reuse the investment in the PSV innards, though the lack of controller bundled in renders it another incremental upsale to existing Sony owners, it doesn't even have any form of input control as standard.

The size is impressive, makes the Ouya and AppleTV look like they need to go on a diet by comparison, and packs significantly better tech than either of those to boot.

Oh man, so I could put this in another room and stream my PS4 to it? Holy shitbeans! Really want to buy everything digital now.

Surely you'll be able to play whatever's in the PS4's drive as well? You can do that with some PS3 games on Vita now IIRC.

I suppose that's one way to reuse the investment in the PSV innards, though the lack of controller bundled in renders it another incremental upsale to existing Sony owners, it doesn't even have any form of input control as standard.

The size is impressive, makes the Ouya and AppleTV look like they need to go on a diet by comparison, and packs significantly better tech than either of those to boot.

First point... Depends how it is marketed. The "standard edition" may be marketed as the one with the controller etc... then the other edition is for those who already have a PS3 or PS4.

2nd point.. again if marketed right it could kill off the ouya/android mini consoles.

If Wipeout 2097 was on the PsOne store Im embarrased to say Id buy it for that alone.

Surely you'll be able to play whatever's in the PS4's drive as well? You can do that with some PS3 games on Vita now IIRC.

Aye, but that's one at a time! That's how I've been using the Vita though - mostly digital, with the odd retail title which stays in the slot until it's finished or I'm bored of it.

Most likely, yes, but swapping from one game to another might get old fast if you have to walk the length of your house first.

Biggest question mark for me is the resolution when streaming from the PS4. Will it be a full 1080p, the Vita's sub-720p, or somewhere in between?

Edit -- Sony's spec sheet says '720p, 1080i, 480p output'. So definitely not full-fat 1080p then. Hmmm.

Man... if only they'd make one of these that was portable so it didn't have to be hooked up to a TV. Can you IMAGINE what it would be like being able to sit around the house streaming PS4 games on some awesome little screen?

or having the choice of either, just imagine...

This looks like a good little box, having sold my ATV2 this could be the one to replace it in the bedroom if it does nas streaming ala ps3!

Just to point out a negative but just imagine if Sony knew where they were going with the vita and ps4 and had made a standardised control interface with the same button/feature count and this would have been bloody amazing alongside vita off screen play with no compromised controls.

Woah woah woah woah sweet child of mine. I've just heard about this. Some questions.

Will you be able to buy games on the PS4 (Vita) and make them play right to the Vita TV? Vita/PS One games.

The PsOne classics - I can't stick the discs in my PS4 can I? I guess I'll have to re-buy them on download on the service?

Also - does this mean a PS4+ Vita TV = same price as an XBoned? ;)

Can't wait for more games to be supported in future updates - imagine Persona 4 Golden on the big screen-

eOLmWvk.jpg

shit.

I thought the appeal of the Vita was being able to play all of the indie/PSN games on a handheld. I'm surprised so many people want one, don't you already own PS3s?

Never have. :(

Most likely, yes, but swapping from one game to another might get old fast if you have to walk the length of your house first.

Only if you're incredibly lazy and/or swap discs every five minutes and/or live in Buckingham Palace ;)

I dunno, maybe it's me being the weird one here!

are there some rllmuk-marketeers who could explain why they chose to call it playstationVITAtv? I mean, I'm not exactly complaining they're putting 'vita' in the spotlight, but looking at its possibilities & capabilities, linking this neat little box to the vita brand seems a bit... humble?

are there some rllmuk-marketeers who could explain why they chose to call it playstationVITAtv? I mean, I'm not exactly complaining they're putting 'vita' in the spotlight, but looking at its possibilities & capabilities, linking this neat little box to the vita brand seems a bit... humble?

It's a PlayStation Vita. That plugs into your TV. Hence, PlayStation Vita TV.

You should. You'll get to play all the games this will enable that are worth playing plus a load of other ones.

Why not just get a PS4? What am I missing? :)

Agreed. It's not a great name. Is it basically an Apple TV thing that plays Vita games as well?

The vast bulk of the native software that will run on it comes from the PSV? it's the new updated config PSV without controls or a screen basically. Sony's Android PlayStation Suite initative seems to have died a death so that doesn't seem a promising source of content. I wouldn't get ahead of oneself expecting homebrew or other un-sanctioned software running on this, the PSV still doesn't support any video format apart from what Sony allows.

If you want a box to do un-sanctioned stuff, unless the PSV gets hacked, better off buying something else, this is for people who want to play PSV and PSP games on a big TV or extend their usage of the PS4 to other rooms in the house.

They don't play PS3 games.

Thing is surely everything I could buy on the PS3 I can on the PS4 - not big retail titles yet all the downloadable games?

Nope. PS3 software doesn't run on PS4s.

What I mean is; aren't they going to have a pretty wide selection of titles on the PS4 to download - or is it all going to be brand new?

Man... if only they'd make one of these that was portable so it didn't have to be hooked up to a TV. Can you IMAGINE what it would be like being able to sit around the house streaming PS4 games on some awesome little screen?

that's exactly what i thought it did.

:-(