Falcom Thread - Awww Ys - TX - June 17, TX+ - Fall 17, Ys 8 Fall 17, Trails3rd - May 3rd, TrailsCS1 PC - Summer 17

10 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Day 1! For sure, I'm 40 hours into Ys VIII and I'm in for more Falcom Ys goodness. Absolutely brilliant games.

Although... 2021 but not a PS5 native version? Wtf? Sigh :(

Game is already out in Japan, it's just a translation job so no ps5 version at that point. I am sure there will be a port eventually. 

Falcom games taking years to be localised to the point they come out on defunct hardware is kind of a thing unfortunately. Loads of text and handled by small publishers like Xseed and now NIS. 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Game is already out in Japan, it's just a translation job so no ps5 version at that point. I am sure there will be a port eventually. 

Falcom games taking years to be localised to the point they come out on defunct hardware is kind of a thing unfortunately. Loads of text and handled by small publishers like Xseed and now NIS. 

I assume it will be backwards compatible, so no big deal. Or I'll go for the Steam version 

• 3 weeks later...

Nearing the end of Ys VIII*, I just completed the final raid with recommended level 85... at level 67:sealclap: That was seriously epic and fun, all of the biggest and baddest enemies showing up at once, two or three of each. Just my team and the main gate left. Excellent :wub:

82 hours in, whatagame whatagame

Spoiler

The big bad tree just opened up its mist for me. Feels like going in there is the endgame so I'm mopping up as much as possible

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Nearing the end of Ys VIII*, I just completed the final raid with recommended level 85... at level 67:sealclap: That was seriously epic and fun, all of the biggest and baddest enemies showing up at once, two or three of each. Just my team and the main gate left. Excellent :wub:

82 hours in, whatagame whatagame

Reveal hidden contents

The big bad tree just opened up its mist for me. Feels like going in there is the endgame so I'm mopping up as much as possible

82 hours? 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

84 hours since posting that, but yes? Why?

What have you been doing? It took me half that and I saved everyone and coloured in all the map. I’m intrigued in what you’ve been doing to prolong it so?

26 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

What have you been doing? It took me half that and I saved everyone and coloured in all the map. I’m intrigued in what you’ve been doing to prolong it so?

Taking my sweet time :)

This happens with every RPG I really enjoy; I turn into the world's slowest player. I think Ys VIII is wonderful, the island is a joy to explore and the combat is fast and fun. I'm really near the end though!

Since I'm having so much fun, I'm trying to 100% as many things as possible but I had to give up on completing the fish list :( My arthritic hands are not up to the kind of button mashing the last fish requires! 

45 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Taking my sweet time :)

This happens with every RPG I really enjoy; I turn into the world's slowest player. I think Ys VIII is wonderful, the island is a joy to explore and the combat is fast and fun. I'm really near the end though!

Since I'm having so much fun, I'm trying to 100% as many things as possible but I had to give up on completing the fish list :( My arthritic hands are not up to the kind of button mashing the last fish requires! 

Use a battery track and field style :)

As I said above, I've already rescued all the villagers, found all the recipes, done all the raids, and completely fortified the village (after doing all the raids, lol). Had an hour to myself this morning and now I've unlocked the trophies for doing all the side quests and achieving 100% approval rating amongst my people. Map is showing as 99% complete overall - surely, surely I'm near the end now? But first a bunch of new hunts unlocked all of a sudden so I'm compelled to complete all of those first :D

Whatagame

In my falcom news I'm now 18hrs into CS2 and loving it just as much as CS1. 

You really do end up caring for all of class VII and the other characters.  Highly recommend Cold steel 1&2 may need a break before diving into CS3 mind or I'll be all jrpg'd out. 

86 hours and Ys VIII is done! In the end I skipped the last batch of hunts. I tried the lowest level one and it opened by throwing level 96 enemies at me while I was 72 :D I assume that you need to dip in either post game content or NG+ to do those.

All in all, a wonderful experience. Smooth, fast combat, fun exploration, fun characters, fun story. It's just a very fun and imminently playable game. Loved it :wub:

For now I'm going to focus on other stuff, as brilliant as they are I can't play Falcom RPGs back to back. But I'm definitely looking forward to playing another one soon! Either Trails in the Sky 2 or one of the Ys games that I've yet to play.

The only game of theirs I really didn't get on with is Tokyo Xanadu. The sparse visuals and much clunkier take on Ys-esque combat make it feel like a budget developer ripping them off. 

I should probably restart cold steel at some point, I got about ten hours in and then stopped playing my vita for a few years. 

Sell me on the Ys franchise, please!

FYI, I like:
- Zelda

- Souls
- metroidvanias

- action-adventures & hack & slash games

I don't like:

- Dragon Quest

- Final Fantasy

- Tales Of

- RPGs with combat that consists of menu selection, and that take too long to 'get going'

Will I like Ys? I've never played one before, nor have I ever done any proper research into them. But every once and a while I'll see the name pop up and I'll get fascinated for some reason.

2 hours ago, Ozzy Womandias said:

FYI, I like:
- Zelda

- Souls
- metroidvanias

I don't like:

- Dragon Quest

- Final Fantasy

- Tales Of

- RPGs with combat that consists of menu selection, and that take too long to 'get going'

Will I like Ys? I've never played one before, nor have I ever done any proper research into them. But every once and a while I'll see the name pop up and I'll get fascinated for some reason.

You should like the more recent entries. The combat should suit you; and if you like colouring in the map in Metroidvania’s noting areas you can’t access until you have a certain ability then you’ll like exploration.

6 hours ago, Ozzy Womandias said:

FYI, I like:
- Zelda

- Souls
- metroidvanias

Ys is like all of this^

I don't like:

- Dragon Quest

- Final Fantasy

- Tales Of

Ys is absolutely nothing like this^

It certainly sounds like it's right up your action rpg alley! I'm no expert but I got into Ys fairly recently through Ys Origin. And I just finished Ys VIII which is brilliant. However, they are somewhat different.

Ys Origin is short and sweet. It's also very cheap. It's an action RPG in which you fight your way to the top of a tower floor by floor. The controls are fast and fluid, making the combat a lot of fun especially once you get bigger and more abilities. Those abilities also unlock previously unreachable areas, and you're definitely exploring rather than mindlessly charging forwards.

It has 2D sprites in a 3D polygonal environment, but the sprites are lovely imo. It has a timeless look.

Ys VIII is epic, long, and more expensive because it's newer. In this one you explore an island and find castaways which you recruit for your expanding base (think Suikoden). The exploration is absolutely brilliant because the island is really well designed. Things interconnect like in metroidvanias/Souls, and you gradually explore further and further from your base. As you acquire new abilities/items, new pathways open up etcetera. There are always clear landmarks visible so you always get a sense of where you are in regards to familiar locations (like looking around in the first half of Dark Souls 1). The combat is again fast and fluid and fun!

However, it was originally a Vita game. I played it on PS4 and despite the high res sharp polish, it shows. Especially in the intro bit before you arrive on the island. It also means that the island is broken up into smaller areas, it's still one big map and you can see the entire thing at all times, but you do also see a loading screen as you move from one area to the next. However, the loading is extremely fast - blink and you'll miss the loading screen - and despite the starting areas being smallish, you'll soon arrive in far far bigger areas.

The above is just so you know. Ys Origin has imo aged better visually because it uses sprites, but the PS4 version of Ys VIII still looks fine - just don't expect TLOU2.

... I think you've sold me on the Ys franchise.

12 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

However, it was originally a Vita game.

The more I can play portably, the better.

Would you recommend this on Vita or on Switch?

I've got the switch version. Switch and Ps4 versions have extra content over the Vita and include some dlc (just costumes). I gather the framerate is pretty shoddy on Vita too, where it's generally a locked 30 on switch in handheld. 

For me these are perfect handheld games (I found the series on the Vita playing the PSP game Ys 7), I'll say the environments in the switch version can look at a bit weird at times handheld, it's hard to describe, like they forgot to put some post processing on so the landmasses have really nasty shimmery jaggies and the cliffs look too flat. If it's like that on Switch I imagine the Vita version is sub-optimal.