IGNORED

Resogun - PS4 launch shoot-em-up, 1080p 60fps

Meat

awsome freebie better than silly wave race on xbone

the best defender/dropzone type game ive played even though im appaling at at i get zoned out and forget ive got boost bombs etc just look at the pretty explosions

contrast is also a decent game if you fancy a slower pace

Nearly had your top arcade rookie score earlier Loki, just relaxed when dipping in to pick up my tenth human on level 4, and clipped a bullet with my last life. Cursed a fair bit. What a game.

PS4 as a £350 Resogun machine? Bargain.

It occurs I had very similar thoughts about both the PS3 and Vita early on with Stardust HD and Delta and I'm really not the kind of gamer that normally plays or is any good at these kind of arcade shootables.

I don't know how Housemarque do it but I'd like them to keep doing it.

The PS4 needs Super Stardust VERY HD.

Nice video! I tend to max-out around 10 million on Level 1 on Experienced, Suspect it's quite hard to get higher than that. Loved all the videos so far, and it's interesting to see the different approaches people have. Ill try and get a Level 1 video run up today.

I'd definitely consider Experienced instead of Veteran Sir Horribleman.

Veteran gets pretty intense, pretty quickly!

I had a run on Rookie too, just so I could see the bosses and the enemies to come. I dread to think what Hero will be like :D

I already have 56% of the trophies, this may be the first game I go for 100% on.

So my understanding of the process to get a high score is:

1) Don't die

2) Don't lose the multipler

3) Boost through chains of enemies

4) Use bomb and boost if you are about to lose multiplier

5) Don't let humans die

6) Try to use overdrive when you get the massive walls of baddies

Any of these wrong?

Basically, you need to know the enemy attack patterns to come so you can decide whether to kill them or let them follow you a bit.

Should I just start again with this understanding on level 1? Any other key pointers you guys that are good at it want to share?

That all sounds good to me Sir Horribleman. The only one I'm not sure of is point 3. Does boosting through enemies grant you a bonus? I can't say I've ever had time to notice!

No penalty either Uncle Nasty (Apart from losing the 10,000 for saving him and 100,000 bonus for saving them al; not to mention the extra life, bomb, shield, overdrive upgrade or points). The controller has a habit of making you feel guilty when one does die though ;)

Some enemies seem to be setup in a configuration to boost through. I think it probably sets you up in a better position in some instances.

Oh yeah, it definitely works wonders for taking them out. Just not sure about the point bonus :)

Like I said before, I use it a lot on enemies on the ground as they tend to be a bit tougher (the caterpillar like ones spring to mind) and there's one level where the ground enemies are the keepers, so I take them all out with one big boost

Such an awesome game. Can't wait to have another bash tonight :D

I guess the rule should be

3) use boost to get to enemies that are far away to avoid resetting multiplier. Landing amongst them to kill them is a good idea in this case.

It can also be used to kill tough enemies, and wipe out ground installations.

I think you've got it spot on there kerraig. I've said this a million times before, but Housemarque shooters just take a little too long to have a go.

I think a bash on this is currently taking me about ten/fifteen minutes which doesn't really lend itself to playing over and over in the same session for me. I think my high score on Super Stardust took me well over an hour. Once I did that I basically had no desire to play it again!

I absolutely adore the Geometry Wars games and they've got it just right for me. Nothing takes longer than five or so minutes, so restarting doesn't seem like a massive ballache. GW2 also has a lot more variety, obviously.

Which is not to say that Resogun isn't amazing; it is. It just falls short of the lofty standards set by similar, score chasing shooters (and the lack of your nearest friends score in the corner is a massive oversight really).

Housmarque games are indeed not made for really quick bouts, but lovely visuals and music aside, I do love the scoring mechanics they have in place. The way boosting through points in SSD added to your score for example, or the bonus rocks and bumpers you could unlock by shooting the numbered asteroids, saving bombs adding to your score and so on. It's different than the Geo Wars/Super Hexagon school of play but not necessarily worse for it.

Yeah, I'm the same MW_Jimmy. I quite like the length as it requires more skill and consistency to keep that multiplier going.

I 'just' managed to beat your score by 3 million; that last level is tough on Experienced :D

Thanks man!

Seems the trick to high scores is blasting EVERYTHING with Overdrive using Phobos.

Although a lot of the world leaders have insanely high scores with the other two ships, I think Phobos is more noob friendly.

I was reading the neogaf thread on this and apparently some keepers will only appear if you have a high enough multiplier at the time they're due to spawn. Would explain the times when humans seem to die without warning.

That would explain it if true.

Was really frustrating when trying to 'get then all' not to get the audio warning clearly. I was checking the top left as well.

I found out another reason why some instantly die. On some levels (I think there's an instance on level 2, for the 8th human), the Keepers come down and you have to kill them in a specific order.

The first Keeper glows green like normal, but the rest of them trailing it will have a red Keeper glow. If you shoot them in the wrong order, your human will instantly die.

Yep, have fallen foul of this keeper ordering a couple of times, and now I'm paranoid about unleashing a bomb in these circumstances in case one end of the "wave" catches the back keeper before I hit the front one.

Awesome score btw Loki. Time to try out the Phobos then!