IGNORED

Resogun - PS4 launch shoot-em-up, 1080p 60fps

Meat

I managed to do the second level perfectly yesterday (no deaths, all humans, max multiplier) thinking it was the first! I must have pressed continue or something and it only clicked when I got to the boss.

Feasibly, I reckon this means that given the right conditions I should be able to perfect the first two in the sam run. Problem is I'm such an inconsistent gamer! I get too stressed and excited when the stakes ae high!

I was struggling with the risk dynamic but am picking it up now.

A tip for others if it's all a bit much. Start out by not worrying about boosting or chaining at all. Just learn how to save the humans from the keepers. Then once you can do that then add the task of keeping the chain going. Then once done add the dynamic of boosting to your game as well.

Questions I still have...

1. I understand you can boost through lines of ships to get the multiplier up but what's the difference between doing that and shooting them? Does it give you a higher multiplier for example?

2. I struggle with overdrive. Is there a particular strategy for this or is it basically just another form of smart bomb to clear out busy screens.

3. When boosting I know that if you hold down you do a long boost and you can do short tap boosts as well. Trouble with the latter is that I seem to run out of boost suddenly, hit a ship and explode. Any tactic here particularly?

I think they missed a trick by lot having more dynamic friends hi scores integration like Geometry Wars 2 but they've got to have something for sequel. :)

...I'm kind of having to ignore the fact Loki's scores exist ;)

Ha! It was a good run. I completed it on Experienced and only managed 22 million!

I was struggling with the risk dynamic but am picking it up now.

A tip for others if it's all a bit much. Start out by not worrying about boosting or chaining at all. Just learn how to save the humans from the keepers. Then once you can do that then add the task of keeping the chain going. Then once done add the dynamic of boosting to your game as well.

Questions I still have...

1. I understand you can boost through lines of ships to get the multiplier up but what's the difference between doing that and shooting them? Does it give you a higher multiplier for example?

2. I struggle with overdrive. Is there a particular strategy for this or is it basically just another form of smart bomb to clear out busy screens.

3. When boosting I know that if you hold down you do a long boost and you can do short tap boosts as well. Trouble with the latter is that I seem to run out of boost suddenly, hit a ship and explode. Any tactic here particularly?

I think they missed a trick by lot having more dynamic friends hi scores integration like Geometry Wars 2 but they've got to have something for sequel. :)

1. I use it to insta kill hard ships. The ones with three spiral spines are a bitch later on. Especially if they're keepers. I use it to blast through land enemies as well which shoot upwards just to clear the air space.

2. It can be used as an "oh shit" moment. But I use it purely as a point generator.

3. You let off a little blast when you phase out, so I try to land either in open space or right in the middle of a circle of enemies. I nearly always use short boosts though. Only ever use long ones when a human is in danger of being beamed up or clearing out the floor space.

Don't the keepers come down though the little pipes at the top of the screen? I often see them on the other side of the map by looking for them above the play area in the background, as soon as the controller voice announces their presence. Dunno if this stays the same throughout the game, but it is the case on Level 1.

I did a quick video with voice (just to try it out really) of the absolute utter basics of Resogun here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsfynI-3jtw

Be nice if people did some more indepth runs and things! Still haven't got past the 3rd level but I'm determined to keep starting from the first level every time and learn some of the patterns of the waves better.

They need to fix the announcements for the keepers, and indicate where they are if they're off screen. Then it will be about perfect.

You need to watch for the green trail, sometimes it's on the opposite side of the level but still visible.

I did a quick video with voice (just to try it out really) of the absolute utter basics of Resogun here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsfynI-3jtw

Be nice if people did some more indepth runs and things! Still haven't got past the 3rd level but I'm determined to keep starting from the first level every time and learn some of the patterns of the waves better.

Yeah, level one start every time for me as well, same way as I play all shooters even if it means I don't see the later levels. How did you get the video onto Youtube?

Upload to Facebook -> Save video from Facebook -> Upload to Youtube

Using the developer option in Chrome it's easy to pick out the MP4 file and just grab that.

Edit: Just noticed watching my video back that picking up humans also keeps the multiplier going. Wondering if throwing them and moving will keep it active aswell...

Upload to Facebook -> Save video from Facebook -> Upload to Youtube

Using the developer option in Chrome it's easy to pick out the MP4 file and just grab that.

Edit: Just noticed watching my video back that picking up humans also keeps the multiplier going. Wondering if throwing them and moving will keep it active aswell...

Yeah, I think it does. You can use it like the manual in Tony Hawk, I think, to keep chains going.

Well annoyed. Scored just under 12 million but went all the way to the 4th level. First time I got 11 million I didn't even beat the second boss.

No more until next weekend. I know I can get a monster score, just need the patience to keep playing. I play one round and then stop.

Finally got a decent score of 18 million. I used the third ship and did lots of overdrives. Also, the humans keep the multiplier going when you pick them up and when you drop them off. Endless throwing doesn't make any difference. Got to Level 4. Multipliers carry across levels so I can already see how ridiculous the scores are going to get in a few months time!

BabBRO6IIAAm25v.jpg

Haven't had chance to play much (Spent all day yesterday downloading DCUO and my new job starts tomorrow) but I got my first million on experienced tonight. Wow. That second level is intense, crowded and so much fun. I hope we get lots more of these sort of zone shooters. I loved both Geometry Wars on the 360. We should all buy Jeff Minters next Vita game so he has enough money to start PS4 devving.

I tend to wear contact lenses when I'm out on the bike. I got back after the ride, and started playing Resogun with my contacts in.

I had to take them out and put my glasses back on because they were drying out due to not blinking enough... Really liking this game, even though my scores are still in the low millions.

I wonder what other treats the PS+ store will have for us this year?

Saving the humans isn't actually worth that much at the end of a level, is it? It's just guilt that drives me to keep them alive, particularly because keeping your multiplier going is easy without them. Dying is the issue on that score! It is fun to save them, though. But there doesn't seem to be any real penalty for losing loads of them.

Saving the humans isn't actually worth that much at the end of a level, is it?

They're worth a fair amount as long as you finish the level on a decent multiplier.

You get 200,000 in bonuses for saving them all (10,000 per human with a 100,000 bonus for saving all ten).

If you finish the level with a 6x multiplier, it's already 1.2 million in the bag!

Level 1 on Experienced: 6.2 million

(I'm assuming YouTube will process the quality to 720p eventually)

Nearly had your top arcade rookie score earlier Loki, just relaxed when dipping in to pick up my tenth human on level 4, and clipped a bullet with my last life. Cursed a fair bit. What a game.

PS4 as a £350 Resogun machine? Bargain.

Really starting to get the hang of this game now, nowwhere near the skill level [or points] of some people, but I seem to be improving all the time.

It's the game I've played the most on the console and really impressed with it so far.

Started to ramp up my score once I moved over to using Phobos with its increased Overdrive.

Nice play benshi!

I tried out the other ships properly last night and only just realised all their weapons were different (the third ship has some insane damage out!).

The second ship seems like the best bet though. Nice balance between agility and overdrive.

I was reading the neogaf thread on this and apparently some keepers will only appear if you have a high enough multiplier at the time they're due to spawn. Would explain the times when humans seem to die without warning.

That would explain it if true.

Was really frustrating when trying to 'get then all' not to get the audio warning clearly. I was checking the top left as well.