IGNORED

what is your greatest value for money game?

carlospie

Iv been thinking about this for the last few days. I often regret my game purchases and don't feel I get as much out of them as I used to. What one game have you purchased in your life that you feel you have invested the most time in and hour per pound you have had the best value?

For me hands down it is counter strike on the pc. I got it for free and played it everyday with my pals for at least two years. It was perfect and I don't think any game will ever top that feeling of value for me.

A close second is pro evo 5. We would play this for hours before our nights out and got so much value for our money.

I played GTA3 every day till Vice City came out and Vice every day until San Andreas came out, which has to be a lot of value. Animal Crossing on the Gamecube, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Skyrim all genuinely sucked away decent sized portions of my life too.

For me hands down it is counter strike on the pc. I got it for free and played it everyday with my pals for at least two years. It was perfect and I don't think any game will ever top that feeling of value for me.

There is no value for money here as you didn't spend money on it ;)

Frankly, the quality of time rather than the quantity is what matters to me when considering value for money, so I'd be tempted to select either Deus Ex or Halo. But, strictly looking at length of time played, it has to be Dragon Age: Origins, my only 200+ hour game. Rock Band probably comes close, but the cost of it counts against it.

(The modernity of the games is probably helped by the fact that until I left for university any contemporary computers/consoles were at my dad's house, with me only getting them at home proper when they'd been retired - e.g. the Atari ST in 1994, Pentium II 200 and Saturn in 2002. And so it wasn't really until my MA, when I started to have a bit of money, that I actually found myself with an up-to-date PC and console at home 24/7... by which point I actually had work to be doing in the day, and a life to be getting on with around that)

Football Manager immediately springs to mind, specifically FM2012. I almost dare not admit to you exactly how much time I've spent on it as it's incredibly depressing. I don't want to admit it to myself. Despite saying that, it's running in the background right now. Bloody unemployment's fault, I promise. Still, it cost me absolutely nothing, so that's pretty good value.

Others that spring to mind: WWF No Mercy on the N64, which I spent an absolute age playing. I still would if I had my N64 out. I played Animal Crossing on the GC every day for well over a year, but I had to buy a switched US/Jap GC in order to play it as a UK release seemed unlikely at that point, so that perhaps screws up the pounds-playtime value ratio.

Resi 4 on the GC would be up there too, which is probably the first game I remember being completely unable to drag myself away from. Thank God I was at university then, and in my "it doesn't count" first year. I'd turn it off to go to a lecture, then... oh, one more go. Turn the Cube back on and dammit, there's another lecture missed. Worth it though.

And Streets of Rage 2 on the MegaDrive. So, so many hours spent playing that, not just as a kid.

I have to say I'm glad so few games have a "total time played" thing like Football Manager does. I think I'd find it a bit scary for some of these.

This is a tough one.

Super Stickman Golf (1&2) for iOS must be a contender; I played the hell out of both of them, and they can't have cost more than £3 altogether. If they'd only fixed the bux/hats thing in SSG2 I'd call these perfect games. Lots of other iOS games should be mentioned due to price, but I can't think of one I've had on my phone for more than a month. Puzzle Craft and Angry Birds, maybe.

Super Street Fighter IV AE: £30 for the game, about £100 for my two sticks, about £15 on DLC. Call it £150. That's still definitely less than 50p per hour. I don't think it's entirely fair to include the tube/coach/train fares that I've happily expended to play with other people from this forum and elsewhere.

GTA San Andreas and Red Dead Redemption were the only big open-world games that I wanted to squeeze every little drop of juice out of. I'm at about 95% completion on RDR, I must get over that line before GTAV.

Meteos on the DS? I loved hoarding the different types of Meteo to unlock things, until my touchscreen calibration went wrong :(

Overall though, I think Super Mario 64 takes it. My dad bought me an N64 after that big price cut, and I didn't have any other N64 games for about a year. I didn't need them, really, as I only got to visit at weekends so I didn't burn through it. I completed it, then got 120 stars, then watched my little brother start to get good at it, then watched him complete it. I swapped it for Blast Corps and got obsessed with that, and bought other N64 games, but that one glorious year. Without that, I wouldn't have played any of the above. So yeah, Mario 64.

Oh oh also Minecraft. I'm not up with all the new developments but it was well exciting to pay for the Alpha and be a part of this big, unstoppable thing that was well designed and reached out to the community. All those Yogscast videos I watched should be considered part of VFM.

I'm tempted to say any game that is old, lo-fi, or otherwise simple tbh.

So long as the core gameplay is fairly open ended, old/cheap/lo-fi games provide great value partly because of the production values. Maximum content for least expense.

A common trend in mainstream gaming now is that higher graphical fidelity and production values can actually limit content rather than free it. Designing a single level might take ten times the man-hours it used to, for example. Look how much work is being invested into each ship in Star Citizen. Yeah they look amazing and it's probably an art designers dream job, but you could never have hundreds of different ships in the game at that rate, and a single modder could never put the work in either. Too big a job.

Yeah, for value games I think less is more.

When it comes to hours invested probably San Andreas and Fallout 3 with far over 100 hours invested. Skyrim probably comes near and Persona 4 is also slowly making its way up there. Another one that kept on going was Advance Wars, but I'm at a loss how many hours I put into it. Playing through the entire campaign took long enough, with some of the latter battles easily taking up an hour. And then all those maps that you unlocked which you could play next to the campaign. And when you take all the retries into account it must have been quite a lot.

Still, I don't find longevity that important, it all depends on the game. I'd rather have a 10 hour game that is genuinely good to play and interesting all the way through than some padded out 40 hour "epic" that gets boring halfway through. Most games don't have such interesting worlds, stories or mechanics that they can keep my attention for 20+ hours and therefore most of the long games I have end up on the pile, unfinished.

Halo. Hands down.

I've consistently played it since it came out all those years ago on the original Xbox, and it's still unsurpassed in the AI department.

Every time I play it, it plays out differently, so it's like a new game every time.

I think I'll start another Legendary run through this weekend.

Most of the stuff I have invested a lot of time in has been the stuff I really loved. Recently that has been Dark Souls where across PC, ps3 and Xbox I have easily accumulated over 500 hrs and have a couple of 100% achievments for these efforts.

Others I can think of are Disgaea, where I had saves over 400 hours and Psyvariar/Psyvariar2 which again I must of clocked up well over 600 hours across multiple versions or region discs.

On PC there is no doubt that many hundreds of thousands had been lost to counterstrike and other half life mods such as TFC and DOD. The others are Eve and WoW which I wouldn't even want to know how much time I spent on these bit I am not sure these represent value for money as much due to the subscription aspect.

Super SFIV - £30 (and a few points for the AE upgrade, but that was pretty much free thanks to receiving points bundled with my Gold sub, points as Christmas gifts, etc...) for 350+ hours of entertainment with rllmuk folk in the lobbies :D

Another one is Rez. I bought it day 1 for the PS2 (that must have been late 2001 or early 2002) and it's been one of those games I just kept playing every once in a while, usually the entire 5 area direct assault. I then bought Rez HD on the 360 as well the moment it came out and I've played that quite a lot too, although not as much as the PS2 version. Each session may be short in itself and time between sessions may have been considerable at times, but if you add it all up it's quite a lot and over 10 years of gameplay.