IGNORED

RLLMUK F1: Season Lucky 7 (Spa, 3rd December, 9.00pm)

kiroquai

Career vs. GP mode = undeveloped car and understanding of the tyre vs. fully developed and full management of tyre wear. That's what I've read a fair bit anyway, and it does make sense. Would certainly explain the difference in the feel of your car between modes.

n 2nd was Alonso with 1:37.586. Now, in my career, the pole lap was set by Vettel, and it was 1:36.031. So, we're basically looking at a 1.5 to 2 second gap between Legend and Expert AI. Which isn't too bad, I suppose.

Remember when they patched the difficulty last year and made Pro a lot harder? I think that's what the fifth step is this year. 2013 Pro is unpatched Pro from 2012, and 2013 Expert is patched Pro from 2012 with Legend unchanged. Makes sense.

Good luck with China. I've just done it and its a real slog in the Sauber. No grip, AI all over me. Make sure you go for a setup that is kind to your tyres (unlike me!).

I can't see that race improving your outlook on the single player racing. I'm

just trying to get to Europe now...

Hi everyone, didn't know where to put this, but since everyone here is an F1 nut I'm hoping someone knows!

So James Allen has been running a competition for inside access to the Mercedes factory in Brackley.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/10/unique-opportunity-to-go-behind-scenes-at-mercedes-f1-factory/

I've only just gone and won a place! However the tour is on Friday - this Friday - which means I'm in panic mode as I have no idea how to get there. I live outside Cardiff, which looks not too far, but of course being an F1 factory it won't be slap bang in town. So anyone who's been there/live local suggest the quickest, hassle free route? Other than car of course. Oh the shame of an F1 fan who can't drive

I've been quite a few times, but sadly only in my car! I do seem to remember that the factory is a short walk from Brackley Tesco bus station (about a mile) but I'll email my mate who works there tomorrow just to confirm.

Brackley is a bit of a pain in the arse as it doesn't have a train station, but it is well connected by other means! Possibly the best route for you to take is Cardiff to my home town of Banbury on the train, then hop on a bus from Banbury to Brackley Tesco (timetable here.) Alternatively Banbury to Brackley isn't too far (about ten miles) so a taxi wouldn't cost the earth with any luck (there's a crap load of the things always parked out front ready to go!)

Have fun though :), it's an awesome place!

So, 1st Season in Career Mode was finished last night. I signed for Red Bull mid way through the Season as I was standing in 5th place when I got offered it. And im my rookie seasons I ended up winning the Championship by 10 points!

Brasil was a dry to inter to wet race. Must say its a lot better and I would defo do a dynamic race. Race Engineer is very helpful when to pit for tyres too. Especially as I was running in 1st place and I wasn't sure which lap was the best to pit on. Luckily when i Pitted the AI seemed to followed suit.

Brasil then into the 1st corner, I started 5th and dived down the middle of the Mercedes to get 3rd. Alonso was 2nd and had a collision with Vettel on the first corner which caused Vettel to spin off and loose his wing. Managed to stay in front then. Even on the Inters and Wets I could keep the gap and increase it a little from the AI also.

Signed for Ferrari for this Season. Lets see how we get on.

I've been quite a few times, but sadly only in my car! I do seem to remember that the factory is a short walk from Brackley Tesco bus station (about a mile) but I'll email my mate who works there tomorrow just to confirm.

Brackley is a bit of a pain in the arse as it doesn't have a train station, but it is well connected by other means! Possibly the best route for you to take is Cardiff to my home town of Banbury on the train, then hop on a bus from Banbury to Brackley Tesco (timetable here.) Alternatively Banbury to Brackley isn't too far (about ten miles) so a taxi wouldn't cost the earth with any luck (there's a crap load of the things always parked out front ready to go!)

Have fun though :), it's an awesome place!

Word from my friend: 'Brackley Tesco is pretty much literally outside the gates, and the stop for the Banbury bus is about 30 yards up the road' :)

LeChuck: a train to Brackley would make sense, but he'd have to be on a train that traveled back in time to the late 1970's, which is when their station shut down :lol: . Banbury is the most convenient local place to hop to and then get to Brackley these days :)

So, 1st Season in Career Mode was finished last night. I signed for Red Bull mid way through the Season as I was standing in 5th place when I got offered it. And im my rookie seasons I ended up winning the Championship by 10 points!

Bloody hell mate, you dont hang about! I think you are one of the few people in here who actually completed a full season of career mode on 2012. What keeps you going?! Also, what difficulty are you playing on out of interest?

It's as if Codemasters put all their efforts into the classic mode, and flashy animations like that annoying one where you get into your car every session instead of concentrating on really improving the game itself. That little animation looks nice, and I know it's only a few seconds, but once you've seen it several times... I mean, I'm not a developer, I don't know how coding a game works, but how much development resources went into creating that animation, and testing the impact of including that animation? I may be way off the mark here, but wouldn't those resources be put to better use elsewhere? Like a far more intuitive User Interface, or improving the AI, or balancing the difficulty levels in career mode.

Like you I have no understanding of coding. I cant imagine the decison to introduce what is a fairly minor animation has any kind of impact on resources that could be assigned to things like UI or AI as you suggest. More likely Codemasters are happy with the UI they have this year and dont see it as a problem. Speculation of course, but I just dont see the two things as being related. Happy for someone to set me straight mind :)

The AI could do with some balancing. I think the Legendary pace on the whole is fine, but I want the AI drivers and teams to have the same struggles as I do with the tyres and aero package early in the season. Three races in im not convinced this is the case, and as Rice suggests it doesnt seem to get any better in time for Catalunya. Hopefully soon though things will level out.

Also, Joyce, I see you mention how useful the race engineer is this year. I would massively contest that - his comments seem to consistently be about 5-10 mins out. For example, in China practice I was on inters on a drying track. I noticed the swipe showing them over-heating (going yellow rather than green) as the track dried and realised it was time to change to options. It was at this exact moment that my engineer came over the radio informing me that tyre temps were in their perfect operating range and that they were the right ones for the conditions :facepalm:

He also kept mentioning at my Malaysia race (posted above) that light rain was on the way about 10 mins after it was already raining. Its not good. If it actually worked it could be so useful, especially on things like tyre suitability and temps, as I imagine not everyone will look at that part of the swipe menu.

Anyway, here is my China career race from last night. Definitely my worst effort so far, not because of the increased AI difficulty and finishing position but because of the awful lack of grip and some seriously aggressive AI (check out Jenson ramming me in the first corner at one point - not like him!!).

Edit: Ha, even the image Youtube has randomly picked for the video shows my troubles with the tyres!

It's as if Codemasters put all their efforts into the classic mode, and flashy animations like that annoying one where you get into your car every session instead of concentrating on really improving the game itself. That little animation looks nice, and I know it's only a few seconds, but once you've seen it several times... I mean, I'm not a developer, I don't know how coding a game works, but how much development resources went into creating that animation, and testing the impact of including that animation? I may be way off the mark here, but wouldn't those resources be put to better use elsewhere? Like a far more intuitive User Interface, or improving the AI, or balancing the difficulty levels in career mode.

I don't code either, but I know a man who does. And we all know a different man that does too (I think that's what he does anyway!)

What you're talking about though LeChuck is all in the art department. Whoever that guy is is not going to be able to fix the AI instead of spending hours creating driver animation. It's probably a single line of code from one of the junior programmers to play out a canned animation.

Play(DriverInCar)in(Player'sGarage)at(TrackX)

It's probably not a single line to fix the AI. Sadly.

@ Kiro: Heh, yeah it was a bit of a shitstorm. I hate China so I wasnt suprirsed to have a shocker there. The tyres had no grip.

So I assume you've all seen the MS video where they said that current gen racing wheels won't work on the Xbox One, period? That's me out, then. It'll be PC for me, most likely.

Yep, the gits.

PS4 for me.

So I assume you've all seen the MS video where they said that current gen racing wheels won't work on the Xbox One, period? That's me out, then. It'll be PC for me, most likely.

The modular thing sounds pretty awesome, although I don't see why that can't be done on PS4 too.

I mean, it already exists on PC.

Yep, the gits.

PS4 for me.

It really depends on what you guys will be doing. If you're all day 1 adopters, I'll probably go PS4 first. Don't have the spare money for both.

Edit: Do our wheels work on the PS4 then? has that been confirmed yet?

The modular thing sounds pretty awesome, although I don't see why that can't be done on PS4 too.

I mean, it already exists on PC.

I like the modular thing too - its a great idea. If I didnt already own an Elite then I obviously wouldn't be quite so fussed. As it is though Microsoft have put me off going in early, certainly unless there is an exclusive driving game that means I really have to buy the Bone (Forza 5 is not that game).

Re: PS4 wheel compatability - I'm fairly sure I read something saying they should work.

I like the modular thing too - its a great idea. If I didnt already own an Elite then I obviously wouldn't be quite so fussed. As it is though Microsoft have put me off going in early, certainly unless there is an exclusive driving game that means I really have to buy the Bone (Forza 5 is not that game).

Re: PS4 wheel compatability - I'm fairly sure I read something saying they should work.

Yeah, fair enough.

Meanwhile, Meerman - you're full of shit, you know you want Forza :P AT ALL COSTS

I'm a great Forza fan, but I have my limits as well. And I'm not that brand minded anymore. I still do think that it's a much better franchise than the GT series though. And I'm still not 100% sure about the 'simulation-ness' (for lack of a better word) of Driveclub yet. I'm also not a huge fan of fantasy games, which seems to be the platform's main attraction point (unless I'm mistaken). And the less said about the dualshock controller, the better.

It's not about brand-mindedness when it comes to the games themselves Meers.

I'm not suggesting you'll be there on day one either - I just know that when the dust settles you'll own a Bone AND a Quadruple because the games you desire will exist on both platforms this time round. That certainly doesn't go for EVERYONE, but for me, and you, that's a fact :) I made the same statement of resistance post Dreamcast and it turned out I was full of shit too.