IGNORED

HBO's Westworld. Yee-Haww Co/w,bo.Y@@@ [FATAL ERROR]

FishyFish

I was hoping for a bit action from Dolores' point of view when she was plugged into Rheoboam. 

A wall of Mr Smith type algorithms bashing against her AI in a 'Three Body Problem' style virtual landscape. 

Having her lay there like a great big functional USB stick really took away from her internal struggle to be a free agent. 

23 hours ago, Popo said:

Mentioning this and Picard in the same breath is a tad harsh!

18 hours ago, dug said:

Jesus Christ, Picard makes Westworld seem like fucking Blade Runner.

:lol:

You realise I meant season 3 of WW only though, right? 

FWIW, Picard and WW S3 ep1 both took interesting characters / amazing settings, transplanted them into an environment that was far less compelling, and also lobotomised the writing at the same time. 

Maybe WW S3 improves considerably but, as it was all about the park, it seemed like generic sci-fi world #3254 to me, and immediately felt worn-out. Hence the noping. 

In many ways it's the weakest season, no doubt, but there's some nuggets of pure joy in there. The soundtrack is as good as ever, especially in a certain scene in episode 4, and William is still the best grumpiest arsehole on the planet. I thought Bernard and Stubbs were a great double-act, too. Stubbs just seems to exist to get beaten up and shot to shit outside of the park. Poor bastard.

There's also some great "what the fuck" moments too, two of which revolve around "Hale".

Picard is literally bottom of the barrel in every single department you can possibly imagine, whereas Westworld just seems to be throwing shit at a wall, and sometimes things stick.

Next season will be very interesting, I think, after that post-credits scene.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Vespa Alex said:

I can’t remember what happened in most of the last couple of seasons. Time to read a synopsis. 

It turned into some generic cyberpunk show featuring some actors from Westworld. 

Are they really making a series 4?  Not sure how to feel as for me it went steeply downhill ever since season 1, and the 3rd season killed it for me completely. That trailer makes it look quite good again but trailers are designed to do that aren’t they…

• 1 month later...

June 26th? I had no idea it was that close. I went through a phase of rewatching the first two seasons a few times during initial lockdown, but I’ve only watched season 3 once. I didn’t hate it, but it took time to recalibrate. 

Poor Aaron Paul. When not playing Todd he always seems to be having a miserable time.

Think I'm done with this but do like playing guess the music still with the slowed down piano versions of stuff - think it's NIN in the trailer as my brain really recognises the notes, just not at that speed.

28 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Think I'm done with this but do like playing guess the music still with the slowed down piano versions of stuff - think it's NIN in the trailer as my brain really recognises the notes, just not at that speed.

Yeah it's The Day The World Went Away. 

It's one of those shows where not even a recap helps you remember what happened last season. I wish it stayed with the wild west theme throughout, I think jumping between different themes only adds to the confusion.

Looks like we’re in for a good old fashioned mystery box of a season. 

Spoiler

So it looks like what was left of Dolores after she was deleted by Rehoboam is now a new character, called Christine. But who was the strange guy hassling her? What did he mean when he said her stories were ruining his life, and to leave “us” alone?

Could the game she works on somehow be connected to the Place Beyond, and somehow the last hosts have once again been enslaved to live and die for the pleasure of humans? It seems unlikely, because only Bernard has the key to reach there, and as far as we know he’s been sat in a dusty hotel room for the past 8 years. 

And who is Teddy now, really? My theory at this stage is that he’s the final copy of Dolores, who we last saw in the body of Lawrence. He saved Christine from the mad guy, and appears to have left an image of the maze on her balcony. Is Teddy trying to lead Christine towards self-awakening? That’s what Ford created the maze for in the first place, so this seems to parallel with that. 

But wait! The last time we saw the maze was inside the park. Is the New York were seeing real, or another illusion? Or maybe it’s the Place Beyond, and Dolores uploaded a copy of herself, disguised as a different character? That would explain why Teddy’s there - and maybe that’s why he’s trying to ‘wake up’ Dolores?

Then there’s robo-William and his new mind control flies. Seems Delos has been hard at work creating new kinds of hosts over the past few years. What does he think is on the servers? The data from the park was uploaded to the Place Beyond, along with the hosts, wasn’t it? Or maybe this was their final destination? Maybe this is where Christine is currently living out her life in an imagined New York?

There we’re some references to a war, but I’m not sure if that’s something supposed to have happened in the unseen period between seasons 3 and 4, or the earlier war in which Caleb was a veteran by the time we meet him. 

Lots of questions! I thought it was a strong return to the kind of storytelling I started watching the show for in the first place. 

Ooh forgot this was back today, gonna get straight on it once I've finished tonight's episode of Sherwood (which is a fantastic series btw, BBC at is very best)

Tried it for 20 minutes. Fucking clueless as to what’s going on, or who any fucker is anymore. Zero intention of ploughing through 3 series worth of YT summaries. I’m oot. Have fun!

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

Tried it for 20 minutes. Fucking clueless as to what’s going on, or who any fucker is anymore. Zero intention of ploughing through 3 series worth of YT summaries. I’m oot. Have fun!

That’s what I did just before watching! I watched a single 20-minute recap:

8 hours ago, jonamok said:

Same. This show has gotten worse for each season. 

Season one was utterly brilliant, but it went downhill from there. Season two and onwards is probably the worst HBO has produced in a long long time.

I don’t have a solid idea of what’s going on yet, but

Spoiler

Teddy showing up with that smile on his face

at the end gave me a surprisingly large dose of the warm and fuzzies.

48 minutes ago, Sane said:

There's no reason to assume this will be any better than the absolutely terrible season 3 but I find myself inexplicably drawn to it. 

There’s still time for it to all fall apart, but I’m not so sure about that - the first episode was strong. 

Second episode was ok too, but it continues my issue with season 3. When the show started the technology was mysterious and fairly 'physical'. Now its all "just yeah we can do that when I close my eyes" or "for some reason its not working now" whenever it fits the plot.

Spoiler

The choice of the golden age will help with asset reuse in the other HBO show The Gilded Age (I know it doesn't work like that with them being different production companies..)