IGNORED

HBO's Westworld. Yee-Haww Co/w,bo.Y@@@ [FATAL ERROR]

FishyFish

Wow, how can anyone watch that and come away with anything but initially positive comments? 

Needless to say I absolutely loved it, was totally drawn in from the beginning by the look of the show and the quality of the acting. 

Ed Harris character and his lone mission was the main draw for me, although enjoyed the Hopkins stuff and also the robot/AI stuff. 

Think might give it a miss for a few weeks so I can watch a few back to back, last night just left me wanting more really.

also the titles are amazing, no idea how anyone could not like them.

Watched it yesterday evening, not quite sure why it's getting lots of praise, it's ok but it's not the next Game of Thrones.

Agree with @Hean Dog might leave a few weeks and watch some episodes back to back that might help get into the show.

8 minutes ago, Hean Dog said:

I totally get the feeling it could be the next Game of Thrones.  

With Game of Thrones I started late and enjoyed the first season in full so maybe I need the same with this will leave alone for a month & watch 4 episodes over a couple of days that might help me enjoy it more. I love anything in a western setting & just wanted more. (Will have to wait till the kid is back from uni and enjoy watching Bone Tomahawk).

10 minutes ago, gospvg said:

With Game of Thrones I started late and enjoyed the first season in full so maybe I need the same with this will leave alone for a month & watch 4 episodes over a couple of days that might help me enjoy it more. I love anything in a western setting & just wanted more. (Will have to wait till the kid is back from uni and enjoy watching Bone Tomahawk).

In terms of a first episode I thought it was unsurpassed.  It moved at a rate of knots and set the threads out nicely.  as you say thought I was left wanting more and I think it would have benefited from a movie length opener.

I thought this was mostly gripping, with the excellent robo-acting and good performances from the established actors papering over the cracks made by the shitty English writer bloke, ropey female exec and some questionable dialogue. I'm not sure whether it was just mime, or some added CGI, but the jittery first generation host down in storage was particularly good. I think my stream stuttered a bit as well which just added to the unsettling effect.

I particularly liked the

Spoiler

fake-out at the beginning, with James Marden being positioned as the human hero, then revealed to be robot as Ed Harris shows what real humans are like. The idea of prodding AI and seeing how you can affect its scripting particularly appealed given how long I've spent replaying Hitman levels and finding ways to torment the NPCs.

I agree with others that they really need to keep things mysterious. It worked for Lost: even though people say they got frustrated with it, it's what kept them coming back. The episode was an odd mix of the enigmatic and the on-the-nose.

There are lots of exciting directions it could be taken, I just hope the robots don't go the way of the Cylons are become a bunch of dullards by the end of the third season.

I really like the opener. Haven't seen the film, and it's not what I was expecting.

Is the world miniaturised and they shrink humans down, or is it a virtual reality game, or does it exist full size in the basement? I don't get it on a mechanical level.

46 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

I really like the opener. Haven't seen the film, and it's not what I was expecting.

Is the world miniaturised and they shrink humans down, or is it a virtual reality game, or does it exist full size in the basement? I don't get it on a mechanical level.

:huh:

Its full sized and set outside, the control tower is on a big rock. The miniature was a holographic projection....

Anyway I loved it. Some on the nose exposition but that's pilot symptom I think.

Argh I just want to binge watch this!!

That was great, don't see the point in GoT comparisons other than HBO spending a fortune on it and it needs to be high quality. 

Loved the setup and intrigued to see where they go with it. Did anybody else notice the contemporary music on the reel piano player, Soundgarden and Stones ?

What is to stop the guests shooting each other ?

The guns won't work if they're pointed at a human. Don't know how they're going to address the issue of knives etc. mind you.

Edit - I really enjoyed this too. Love the dude from Boardwalk Empire putting in a suitably creepy turn once again. I also liked the little bit of a subversion of one of the main elements from the film. Caught me off guard!

It did surprise me how much the violence escalated after about the 40 minute mark. There was one particularly graphic scene in the saloon which I wasn't expecting.

But I think my favourite bit was the conversation between nude robo dad and Anthony Hopkins. Really interesting stuff.

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

Loved the setup and intrigued to see where they go with it. Did anybody else notice the contemporary music on the reel piano player, Soundgarden and Stones ?

Yes, Black Hole Sun and Paint it Black.

What does it mean??

22 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

I have to say, the software people in this have the worst fucking QA process I've ever seen in nearly two decades of professional software development. Even when they've got major defects in the production environment, the boss is just like "no rollbacks!". They could at least run canary builds in a separate area to check that the robots don't go mental and kill all humans.

Although weirdly, it seems that the robots are able to automatically roll back to previous builds on command if that Anthony Hopkins conversation was anything to go by, so I don't know why they didn't just do that. It's only 10% of the population.

It seems they'd rather bring them all in individually and put them in the nude warehouse.

I'm not sure I really understand what the limitations of their programming is. They seem to be able to react and handle any situation, yet they say they are all programmed to run a script and storyline routine every day with the ability for only minor improvisation. Daughter knows to go running off screaming to find a doctor when pops is having a very unexpected and out of routine turn. That's surely not in her daily program and is a pretty big improvisation for her.