rllmuk
FishyFish

HBO's Westworld. Yee-Haww Co/w,bo.Y@@@ [FATAL ERROR]

They could just start in another park and do a fresh story running alongside this as if it was happening around the same time. Repeat a few times with different parks til the final season where the story continues or something.

I'm in two minds about it, I think if they leave the park it'll just be for a bigger canvas for the issues they've raised to play out over - the consciousness and rights stuff is bigger than just a theme park, and they've been hinting at the world outside being very different due to stuff like Delos medical technology. But then if they leave the park it's basically got nothing to do with Westworld anymore, it's just another scifi show dealing with similar themes, like Humans. Tricky balancing act.

Season 2 will probably focus on humans such as William, the female exec and the two other missing characters (forgotten all their names - the security guy and the behaviour woman) trying to survive in the park against an army of marauding, reprogrammed hosts. Not sure what'll happen in the outside world - you'd expect the authorities to turn up in force, but we know basically nothing about what's outside the park. Maybe it's entirely isolated in some way (in orbit around Earth, perhaps), or maybe there will be a season-long hostage situation with outsiders locked out of the facility. I think glimpses of other parks and the 'outside' will be kept to a minimum, if seen at all. It's called Westworld and it'll stay focused on the theme-park gone wrong idea.

It'll slowly be revealed that it's part of a fictional theme park cinematic universe. Ending in a stand-off between robot cowboys vs cloned dinosaurs vs a gritty reimagined version of the Griswalds, all fighting in the post-apocalypse version of Wally World.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jcafarley said:

I stopped watching this after about three episodes as it was beginning to feel like it might be another Lost.  Is it worth going back to?

It's definitely worth watching, yes it finishes with a few loose ends, but if they decided to not make any further series it would still be a complete story.

12 hours ago, Pob said:

Season 2 will probably focus on humans such as William, the female exec and the two other missing characters (forgotten all their names - the security guy and the behaviour woman) trying to survive in the park against an army of marauding, reprogrammed hosts. Not sure what'll happen in the outside world - you'd expect the authorities to turn up in force, but we know basically nothing about what's outside the park. Maybe it's entirely isolated in some way (in orbit around Earth, perhaps), or maybe there will be a season-long hostage situation with outsiders locked out of the facility. I think glimpses of other parks and the 'outside' will be kept to a minimum, if seen at all. It's called Westworld and it'll stay focused on the theme-park gone wrong idea.

Does it not just become a "survival horror" ala the walking dead   or similar if they go own that route. If they show both sides of the divide  it alomost becomes like  the recent planet of the apes  movie series ?

Genuinely curious to see where they go, as SomethingWitty this season is pretty much self contained and it appears a few people would have been happy if it was just a one season series.

9 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

It's nothing like lost. They aren't dropping in things they have no answer for, they've planned out five years of plot.

It's also why they're not releasing the 2nd season until 2018.  They want it to be perfect.  I'm okay with this.. we wait longer than that for movie sequels that are only around 2 hours long.  I can wait 2 years for 10 hours of new high-quality content.

• Upvote 2

As long as they have a plan it's fine by me. It's just "ongoing, but going nowhere" stuff I hate (like Walking Dead). I like my tv to either have a fully planned story or be self-contained episodes.

• Upvote 1

Who has two thumbs and didn't realise that this was available on iTunes?  *this guy*  So bought and piled through it.

Excellent.  Really excellent.  Thandie Newton was completely brilliant in this, I thought.  Hopkins, Wright and Harris were their usual top-notch selves, but you kind of expect it with them.  She was the standout for me.

Spoiler-ish thoughts.

Spoiler

So, ultimately not only are the hosts trapped in a loop, but so are the humans, with Dolores killing Ford at his request 35 years after killing Arnold for the same reasons.

Disappointed Maeve turned back.  Though interested to see what she does in series 2.

The escape sequence with SnakeTats and Hector was brilliant, not least because of the fantastic Carpenter-esque music.

The problem with so much being a twist or reveal is that even though I avoided spoilers, I knew there was a twist or reveal coming, which spoils it.  Has there been a series so thoroughly analysed like this before.

Guessed Bernard was a host... the William/MiB thing occured to me in episode 9. "He always liked to keep the pretty ones". But like all good twists, I felt the series earned it, it was logical and I didn't feel cheated.  Enjoyed Williams journey from white hat to badass MiB.  Bernard becoming a killing machine was a real surprise though - wasn't too sorry to see Theresa go (though I thought she may be a host) but Elsie was a great character.

The interplay between MiB and Lawrence was a highlight.  I liked the Lawrence character a lot.  In fact, the supporting characters were all top notch.  Clementine, Elsie.  You can never go wrong with Michael Wincott.

Bum notes.  British sweary designer bloke.  The Koreans partner never really felt like he had much depth.  And new exec girl seemed far too young for a senior executive.

Roll on season 2.

• Upvote 4

The last show (to my knowledge) that was this analysed must have been Lost.

The good thing about Maeve's choice - 

Spoiler

Many are stating that her decisions, even at that point, were all pre-ordained - even breaking out and getting on the train. So her getting off the train is showing she too is breaking out of her program loop.

On 17/12/2016 at 07:51, Pob said:

Michael Wincott was in this??

That's what I just said to myself after I read that snake, Plissken's post up there.  Totally failed to spot it was him, but now I know, it seems so obvious.

On 17/12/2016 at 21:12, Barnard said:

There was bit on the BBC 2 program about Walt Disney that talked about the plans Disney had for the park in Florida. 

If cancer hadn't killed the man 10 years too early, we could have been well on our way to having a Westworld. :-(

https://sites.google.com/site/theoriginalepcot/the-florida-project

0_o... i have never seen this...yet have had extremely similar thoughts on "cities of the future"...though with more agriculture towards the out side...but woah...

Watched the original film on Amazon Prime earlier and thought it was quite good for a 40 year old film, the scifi tech element seemed quite normal now but must have been a leap back then.

The main bad guy with the black hat reminded me of the Terminator, I wonder if James Cameron got some inspiration from him?