rllmuk
FishyFish

HBO's Westworld. Yee-Haww Co/w,bo.Y@@@ [FATAL ERROR]

During that one section, there was a definite 80s movie/John Carpenter vibe. The music alone was excellent.

Speculation based on nothing

Spoiler

Let's assume the board are wiped out and that the inmates do easily take over the asylum. Westworld appears to be far enough from anywhere for outside help to get there. What's stopping Delores and her crew taking over the manufacturing and replacing the board with robots? 

You knew there were was at

Spoiler

least another world coming as early in the episode somebody said 'worlds' quite deliberately. 

Couple of things that seemed to be ignored/not used

Spoiler

There was reference to Abernathy and that the British guy had been able to make him believable enough to get out of the park with the data, but that never seemed to occur. I half expected Maeve to see him on the train. 

There was still no confirmation that Elsie or the head of security are dead. There was no real explanation about the Ghost Nation as well. 

And that's fine, because we did get a lot of answers and setup for the future.

Spoiler

Perhaps we're going to see similar events elsewhere, and perhaps even at the same time. So while Westworld is falling apart, Samurai World is having a similar occurrence. Hell, you can't introduce something then opt not to use it later. S3 confirmed to be set in Samurai World, and we'll see other cast members returning because it will actually be set during the same time as the first season.

• Upvote 1

Question for those that have seen the movie. Did season 1 play out the full arc or the movie plot (or beyond)? Curious to watch the movie but not if it potentially hints at where the entire show is going towards. If that makes sense?

On 11/29/2016 at 21:17, BruceBruce said:
  Hide contents

So to sum up.... the man in black is William, just much older. Meaning Dolores was having flashbacks the whole time and those events didn't occur in the present. 

Bernard is a host that looks like and has the memories of Arnold. Which actually means that son of his was real if you think about it, and so his grief is legitimate.

Teddy's new backstory was actually based on something that happened in the town buried beneath the sand (and now dug up again), where someone took control of Teddy (possibly Dolores) and murdered a bunch of hosts and people back then.  This means this Wyatt guy is actually just Dolores, but the backstories were altered to align with reawakened memories the hosts were having so they'd stop glitching out, I guess?  This is why they buried the little town and started over.

Around that time is when Dolores kills Arnold I assume.

Bernard shoots himself, or at least we assume he does.. it occurs off screen.  Either way, he's a host so it's not like he's dead dead. Elsie was never shown as dead at all... so they won't leave it as a loose end.

Maeve is completely self-aware and recruiting.  Meaning she'll probably find the storage room, and by extension: Clementine and Bernard.  Probably won't be able to help Clementine much, but it's possible for Bernard I suppose.  We've seen hosts get shot in the head before and survive. So he'll probably join Maeve, and they'll plan an escape.  Possibly setting off all of the idle hosts to attack the facility as a distraction?

Just speculating.

Okay, I was kinda right...  but still way off.  But now I know what's going on.

Spoiler

William is the man in black, confirmed.  Bernard is Arnold, confirmed.

I can't believe I guessed that Wyatt was just Dolores.  But the backstories introduced were done so by Ford in order to cause chaos, not to stop the glitching.  And the reason the town was buried was due to the massacre, staged by Arnold to prevent the park from opening when he noticed the potential emergence of consciousness and the suffering the hosts would have to endure. Ford didn't realize this, until he lost Arnold and understood his pain. 

Bernard (Arnold's host) was still alive, of course.  But turns out that killing him was just a step in the plan Ford had to awaken Dolores' consciousness, knowing Maeve would run into him and potentially fix him, leading him back to Dolores.

See, what I think happened is that Ford manipulated Maeve's story, making her want to escape, as implied by Bernard when they meet.  He used this as a diversion in order for the rest of his plan to succeed.  So Maeve was never completely self-aware, so I was wrong.  But her new story made her find the storage room, including Bernard and Clementine, and she helped Bernard as I guessed, because Ford is essentially making her do all these things.  The distraction allowed for the idle hosts in cold storage to be moved, we don't know by who but I imagine it was another part of Ford's plan, possibly to prevent them from being "simplified".  So considering Maeve's plan was just a story made up by Ford, and the facility's power was essentially shutting down earlier in their control room, they'd have no way of knowing if she made it out to the train, and the lockdown would prevent them from getting there easily, as the only people near the train station were other hosts, which also could've been manipulated by Ford.

The funniest thing about the episode was finding out they only rely on security footage as a backup method of security.... haha.

The natives were planned by Ford as well.  If you notice, I think in episode 6, he essentially has a miniature setup of what was to go down in this episode.  Where the natives appear from the tree line.  So they shoot William, and probably proceed to murder whomever they can of the board members.

As for Dolores, she's a fully conscious being now, listening to her own voice instead of hearing it as Arnold.  She solved the maze, just in time to CHOOSE to kill Ford, which he actually mentions in his speech.  So putting her through all of this was to try to awaken her consciousness and choose to kill those that created her.  And it worked.  Turns out Ford wanted the hosts to be free ever since Arnold passed, and this is how he planned to do it.

Also, I think the bag given to Maeve actually contains vital information.  She left it on the train. Then memories of her daughter flooded her mind, making her get off the train before departing, just as Ford planned. So maybe this was Fords way of getting more information outside of Westworld, like he was making Bernard do with the satellite relay things, whilst simultaneously causing a distraction so the new town massacre could occur uninterrupted.

Elsie and the Hemsworth are still MIA.  But I think they're both alive, as we didn't see them die. 

Again, just speculating.

Spoiler

Also, we discovered that Westworld isn't exclusively the company's sole venture.  There's also S-World, which I assume means Samurai World based on the hosts seen there being samurais.  It got me thinking, (though the actor is Korean) it might be possible Felix (the one who helped Maeve escape) was actually a host himself, originally from Samurai World, re-purposed by Ford into a staff position to see to Maeve's every need and ensure the plan successful in case her improv feature strayed the base narrative of her story.  And the other guy, was a real human being, thus being an asshole trying to screw the plan up. 

And Felix is on the opposite end of the spectrum of the plan, so Ford named him the opposite of Dolores.  Dolores means sorrow or sadness, whilst Felix means happiness.

Seems deliberate.

• Upvote 6

One of many things that still confuses me:

William's story seemed to imply that he turned extra psychotic when he realised Dolores was just acting out a role and didn't remember him. Though the end twist was that all along he'd been wanting to 'save' the hosts, that was his goal in seeking out the centre of the maze.

So the reason he mistreated Dolores, was it not because of contempt but because he was trying to provoke her into defending herself against the guests? Seems a little reckless, unless we accept that the collapse of his family life outside the park left him with a bit of a death wish. Did he care for her or not?

Each of the three bigwigs evidently had the exact same goal, but they were all operating independently and with a great deal of suspicion about the others.

The apparent awakenings of both Dolores and Maeve seemed to be shown as false, the former via Teddy's rescue culminating in that scene on the beach where it was revealed that it was all still scripted, and the latter when Bernard showed Maeve she was still running from a script. Did any of them actually reach consciousness or are they all just running Ford's narrative?

excellent end to the series, as many have said the internet hive mind guessed a lot of this very early so I'll be staying away from that stuff next season as not sure it added to my overall viewing pleasure

Spoiler

so we had the reveal of Samurai world with a very brief explanation about it with 'its complicated'

also in addition to Logan wearing his hand of the king lapel pin there was a dire wolf (or a large white dog at least) walking thru the killing field of hosts at the start of the ep - are these just GoT easter eggs or pointers to something for next season - easter eggs I suspect.

overall really really good show, love a programme that stays with you after watching and makes you think, there aren't many of them around

good write up from Joanna Robinson here (she hasn't got too much time, doesn't need to get a life, she's paid to do this stuff !)

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

Samurai World sounds like the most dangerous park ever, how would they even maintain any safety in there. I want next season to be a new story set there and at the end all the cowboy cast break in fighting, Blazing Saddles style.

And Ford was clearly making a copy of himself - human shot and replaced by robot then robot shot and human returns...it's like poetry. Bit disappointed the show misjudged the Internet, was hoping for a double bluff ending with William meeting MIB and some new shenanigans to be revealed. Ford being a goody from the robots point of view, but a villian from the humans was great - really well played character that they have to bring back next season.

• Upvote 2

Well that was amazing. Perfect choice of Radiohead's

'Exit music...'

Wake.. from your sleep
The drying of your tears
Today we escape, we escape

Current TV is one of the few times the phrase can be used unironically, but with the likes of this and Saul and GoT, what a time to be alive!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Capwn said:

Question for those that have seen the movie. Did season 1 play out the full arc or the movie plot (or beyond)? Curious to watch the movie but not if it potentially hints at where the entire show is going towards. If that makes sense?

It has similar themes

In the film, the robots get infected with a virus (forward thinking eh?") and turn on the guests who have been killing them for fun..

There are 4 worlds and there's a security lockdown where everyone in the control centre gets locked in and eventually suffocates due to the power to the air con going off..

oh and i don;t think you can blame the hive mind for working stuff out... a lot of it was some brazenly sign posted...

The whole choosing a hat thing at the start... it was blatantly obvious from that point on that this was a story about the choices people make, the journey they take and the awakening they get along the way.

It seems obvious to me that they wanted the audience to guess how hings were going.. I don;t know about anyone else, but I wanted my theories to be proved right and In this day and age it was weird for me to sit there, happy as larry knowing i had successfully worked out what was going on. In this day and age we're used to tv shows that have massive long story arcs with twists that you'd never guess.. social media is full of "OMFG did you see what happened in such and such YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT"... tv shows have been trying to out do each other with Game of Thrones Red Wedding type twists...

This was the complete opposite and I think it worked brilliantly and it was all the more refreshing for it. It didn;t treat the audience like idiots... it left enough clues so you could work out and play along as the show progressed...  yes some of the machinations were a bit far fetched or not worked out fully, but as a whole it worked brilliantly...hell, the homage to the original film with the Yul host in the corner, they even let the sculptor show her work off on instagram so people could get a better look at her work, anything else and that would have been stamped down upon.

Bravo!

• Upvote 4

I know it's HBO and not Netflix, but it really feels like a series that should be all available at once. There was an article about how shows are essentially giving up their episodic storytelling now everything is long term, and Westworld is a pretty good example of that - they didn't even try to have every episode introduce a conflict and resolve it by the end while moving a larger narrative forwards (like say Breaking Bad), instead it was literally "here's a load updates on every plot thread that will just end once the allotted time is over"

• Downvote 1

I'd disagree. The good thing about WW is it has taken time to develop to ingest each episode and consider each week bringing new theories and discussions. An instant all for one would ruin that, this thread would be much shorter for it.

• Upvote 6

Two curious bits from that Vanity Fair article - 

S2 casting or rather not

Spoiler

The guy who plays young William isn't returning but Ed Harris is. Though whether that's just a one episode thing is not yet known

Speculation related to a missing character 

Spoiler

If you read the article it tells you about a behind the scenes clip on the show's fake website, where it is implied or even shown that Elsie is alive within the context of the show.

Interesting too the Evan Rachel Wood described Season 1 as almost a prequel to the real show/story.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the finale, am I right in thinking one of my earliest (almost said as a joke) theories is true?

Spoiler

SW means Samurai World? So there are other departments such as Pirate World? Medieval World? Roman World? etc

9 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Regarding the finale, am I right in thinking one of my earliest (almost said as a joke) theories is true?

Hide contents

SW means Samurai World? So there are other departments such as Pirate World? Medieval World? Roman World? etc

Well its no big secret. The original film mentions other worlds even includes a bit of Rome and the sequel is set in Future World.

Hmmm, so...

Spoiler

but the focus will always be on the wild west theme right? They won't suddenly do a 'This season it's pirates!' will they? I guess Hopkins was one of the creators of WW but there will be an even higher up figure who overseas the entire complex. The weird thing is that they made it sound like Hopkins and Arnold were responsible for the tech, perhaps WW was the first and then they branched out from there?

5 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Hmmm, so...

Hide contents

but the focus will always be on the wild west theme right? They won't suddenly do a 'This season it's pirates!' will they? I guess Hopkins was one of the creators of WW but there will be an even higher up figure who overseas the entire complex. The weird thing is that they made it sound like Hopkins and Arnold were responsible for the tech, perhaps WW was the first and then they branched out from there?

Possibly...

Ford and Arnold created the AI and bots, Westworld was the first world... things struggled and they needed outside investment, I'd imagine that in the 40 years since the massacre the outside investment controlled the company and built the other parks, but Fords interest was in his baby, the first park. so he let them do what they like with the other parks, westworld was his concern, the interesting bit will be if the reveries have spille dover into the parks (in the same way they did in the film)

Think of it as Disney land... you have main street and the castle/fantasy land and then they built the other bits, frontierland etc, but disney land is known for the castle and the classics.

I'm guessing if they are using AI in theme parks just for lols then outside the park the tech must be very very high end (those trains!).

Spoiler

The point of westworld though is that sentience can only be achieved in the park since only in the park are the AIs asked to process loss and grief. Still not explained how they managed to buy so much land, especially land that clearly belongs in a national park. 

Spoiler

I am sure there will be other parks, no one said Ford or Arnold invented AI or anything like that. Westworld must be unique in some way, it's probably the oldest or the most nuts. 

If you haven't seen the film watch the Simpsons episode in itchy and Scratchy land, pretty much the same and has some classic jokes.