rllmuk
FishyFish

HBO's Westworld. Yee-Haww Co/w,bo.Y@@@ [FATAL ERROR]

Yes - 

Spoiler

I think Maeve is planning on getting out alone, but using anyone else as the distraction. I'm not sure about Bernard's child, I think that the memories were implanted to simply anchor him in such a way that he did the job Ford needed him to do. The same as Maeve and her daughter. 

I'm interested to see what tipped Delores over the edge to murder Arnold (unless Arnold dared her to try and kill him, to break out of her cycle, and paid the ultimate price for that success). I think now more than ever, we cannot trust anything that we see via a host. One minute Teddy was a civil war killer, and now that incident appears to actually show him as a sheriff - still killing people. 

I also maintain that Ford knows practically everything that is going on. Given how he knew about Bernard and Teresa, knew that Teresa sat at that exact table the first time she visited the park - I think it's safe to say he knows someone has messed with Maeve's programming. I think this is all part of this legendary narrative.

I can't figure out where the English guy fits in, other than to make the old host capable of getting past security to sneak out all the park's secrets. I was thinking, given how they own a giant park, why Delos didn't just bump Ford off, but I think he's going to reveal some bizarre fail-safe, whereby the data is destroyed should he die/be killed.

I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

And I still can't figure out the near unkillable Ghost Nation hosts. 

Spoiler

I think the girl that was bumped off in flashback by Bernard will be reunited with the security guy.

Other than that, I got nothing.

Spoiler

Did love the way Ford was introduced this week walking through his crypt of dead bodies as demonic organ music played in contrast to Arnold being visited in church through confessional. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Goose said:

Yes - 

Hide contents

I'm interested to see what tipped Delores over the edge to murder Arnold (unless Arnold dared her to try and kill him, to break out of her cycle, and paid the ultimate price for that success). I think now more than ever, we cannot trust anything that we see via a host. One minute Teddy was a civil war killer, and now that incident appears to actually show him as a sheriff - still killing people. 

I'm fairly certain Ford made Teddy and Dolores go on a murder spree to kill Arnold and the scientists who knew about him.

• Upvote 2

I was thinking this morning, I wonder how literally we should interpret that dialogue where Arnold says he was killed by Dolores. I'd need to rewatch it, but maybe it left some interpretation whereby Dolores was the reason Arnold was killed, without it actually being Dolores that pulled the trigger so to speak.  

This could be something like Ford getting mad at something (maybe a programming change) that Arnold has done to Dolores

4 hours ago, Harsin said:

Hide contents

I'm fairly certain Ford made Teddy and Dolores go on a murder spree to kill Arnold and the scientists who knew about him.

That would also explain:

Spoiler

Why Dolores was never "retired" despite killing a human - it was deliberate programming, rather than a glitch.

Otherwise, why keep her around after *that* incident? Unless it was a glitch, and her depressing "damsel in distress" loop was actually punishment from Ford.

It was the programming at fault so there would be no need to destroy the robots as the attitude is to just format and rewipe. Bit like if you get a virus on a PC which needs formatting. You wouldn't throw the whole box in a skip.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Bit like if you get a virus on a PC which needs formatting. You wouldn't throw the whole box in a skip.

... But you should never trust it again. What if it was an MBR or bios virus?!

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure 

5 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

It was the programming at fault so there would be no need to destroy the robots as the attitude is to just format and rewipe. Bit like if you get a virus on a PC which needs formatting. You wouldn't throw the whole box in a skip.

In that case, why is there a whole room in the basement full of retired Hosts, and why go even further with Clem?

22 minutes ago, Wroth said:

Surely she's had a least a bit of a hardware upgrade in the past 30 years? That would be the most unbelievable part of the show if not.

Yeah. It would be odd to keep the old ones around but leave them as purely mechanical save for some "blood". Maybe they're not as organic as the new ones, but you'd think they'd at least have some upgrades.

On 29/11/2016 at 00:07, Harsin said:

Reveal hidden contents

Dollar to doughnuts that Dolores is Wyatt in all those a teddy flashbacks. General led out and capped while sitting on a chair was Arnold.

Agreed - between Delores and Teddy's flashbacks and the reveal that Teddy was shooting the same people as Delores was, she has to be Wyatt; and once we know she killed Arnold the scene with the General makes sense.

I don't know if I fully believe Bernard is dead though. We don't see it and this show is not one to shy away from gore in other circumstances. Maybe they just want me to cling on to a sliver of hope til we see him wheeled off in the next episode. But I'd like to think he realised the only way he could be free of Ford's meddling was to make him think he'd won again.

An interesting idea from /film is that 

If you re-watch the scenes with Bernard and Ford,

Spoiler

there are inconsistencies in the scenes. Also bear in mind that Ford/Bernard admitted that they'd had this conversation before. Could we be seeing the same conversation from different points in time? Extending that further, could the scene in which he apparently shoots himself, be from the first time they had the conversation? 

I think this would take some believing, not to mention explaining, but it does hold some weight. 

They also maintain that Elise

Spoiler

is alive, and may well have even figure out that Bernard was a host and was able to stop him killing her. They go one step further and suspect that Elsie is now controlling the Ghost Nation - which seems fairly far fetch.

They too touch upon the idea I mention here,

Spoiler

that Ford's narrative is already running and all the program-breaking hosts, escaping Maeve, are all part of it.

I agree too that it seems odd for Delores not to have been put into storage, if she did indeed killed Arnold. Or was Clementine lobotomised to make a point to Ford and Bernard - dangerous hosts must be removed (even though we know and they know, Clementine's programming was altered).

Do we know that others know Delores killed Arnold/went on a killing spree 30+ years ago? 

And let's not forget, we are assuming Teddy is flashing backing to the event, but we also know Ford implanted the Wyatt storyline mid-season. Which becomes further confusing that when you factor in the MiB. I was always assuming that before Ford implanted the Wyatt story, the character never existed in the park. Did the MiB hear about him from Teddy? In which case, the character is not real. 

Or did Wyatt exist 30 years ago and Ford is now reusing the memory on Teddy? 

My head hurts.

About Dolores:

Spoiler

I think we saw designs for Dolores in Ford's secret lab, next to the designs for Bernard. So I think this is a completely 'new' version of Dolores, made by Ford, after the incident. Not sure what would've happened to the original Dolores...

1 hour ago, sladie said:

About Dolores:

Hide contents

I think we saw designs for Dolores in Ford's secret lab, next to the designs for Bernard. So I think this is a completely 'new' version of Dolores, made by Ford, after the incident. Not sure what would've happened to the original Dolores...

Spoiler

Well all of the originals got remade when they switched from mechanical to biological hosts (to save costs), which means their mechanical versions could be kept in storage somewhere.  But the memories were transferred or copied over to the newer iterations.

Where did you get that from? Wasn't it explicitly stated that the older models were still in circulation because they were works of art in comparison to the new models?

3 hours ago, Darwock said:

Where did you get that from? Wasn't it explicitly stated that the older models were still in circulation because they were works of art in comparison to the new models?

It was mentioned in one of the episodes that the models were reworked with biological features to cut costs with the added benefit of increased realism and "humanity"..

I think it's kept vague to allow there to be some ambiguity about the two time lines, otherwise seeing inside Doloroes tum tum with all the clockwork tech would have been clear evidence that bit was set 30 sum years back. 

Think I'm going to stop listening to the podcast and reading theories on this show and just watch it. The show has thrown no surprises my way because I've heard all the theories. If the 30 year timeline is confirmed next week I'm definitely doing it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mentazm said:

Think I'm going to stop listening to the podcast and reading theories on this show and just watch it. The show has thrown no surprises my way because I've heard all the theories. If the 30 year timeline is confirmed next week I'm definitely doing it.

I'm getting to a similar point - they even discussed it on the Decoding Westowrld podcast this week - can't blame them for discussing theories and they aren't spoilers as such, but I think I need to stay away from over analysing this and just enjoy it for series 2 as my enjoyment has been somewhat limited in later episodes by simply ticking off things I already suspected strongly or knew.

Plus god knows what William did with Delores on the train when he 'fell for her', he certainly didn't feel her up much, unless he mistook those rods and pistons for rock hard abs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

Last episode will be 90 mins long and should answer everything, apparently the 5 seasons will each have their own internal arc, with no over arching story running through the whole thing....

Where did you hear that? That'd be good actually. Set each series in a different park. Make it an anthology show like American Horror Story. Next one Medieval!

5 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

Where did you hear that? That'd be good actually. Set each series in a different park. Make it an anthology show like American Horror Story. Next one Medieval!

*cough*

I'm undecided on the fan theories thing. Clearly people sussed out a lot of the twists (which have been very much presented as twists with big reveals) which means they have less impact. But the fan theories are a fun bit of meta-entertainment for a show like this, and to be honest if I didn't read up on it I'm not sure I'd have a clue what was going on. Other shows (e.g Lost) were better at confounding fan theories by chucking in red herrings and the like.

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

That doesn't suggest an anthology in the vein of Fargo or anything like that. They say chapters in a story, so it'll still be one story overarching plot but they'll try to give closure to each season and give each its own distinct feel.

19 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

In that case, why is there a whole room in the basement full of retired Hosts, and why go even further with Clem?

That basement of de-activated hosts has been shown so many times now that I'm pretty much expecting them all to "wake up" and go on a "Kill the fleshy ones! BzzzZt!" zombie-apocalypse style rampage.