IGNORED

Nintendo 2DS

therearerules

It all seems to come from that source. I suppose it's plausible that one bigger screen is cheaper than two smaller ones.

I think the idea that it's all touch sensitive is probably bollocks. That's an added layer (I think) which could easily only cover the bottom bit.

I think the idea that it's all touch sensitive is probably bollocks. That's an added layer (I think) which could easily only cover the bottom bit.

I would hope it isn't true. Adding that feature to 2DS would fragment the xDS range.

I also hope we don't see "2DS games" as well as 3DS games. Let's just keep it as "works on 2DS, 3DS, and 3DS XL".

Are the hinges really that flimsy? Genuine question. Seems odd to sacrifice screen protection on a kid's toy when Nintendo could have looked to fix / improve the hinges.

They are well made but still the most likely thing to break. Especially when young kids don't really take care with delicate electronics. I wouldn't worry about the hinge for myself. I suspect they are also pretty complicated/expensive to manufacture with all the information which needs to travel across the two halves of the machine.

This isn't an attempt to improve the 3DS - it's an attempt to make a cheaper (& more profitable device) which also happens to be more robust.

It all seems like a win for a kids version. Cheaper + Stronger + More comfortable + No 3D (which a lot of people think is harmful and many don't like).

I would hope it isn't true. Adding that feature to 2DS would fragment the xDS range.

I also hope we don't see "2DS games" as well as 3DS games. Let's just keep it as "works on 2DS, 3DS, and 3DS XL".

There's no suggestion Nintendo are adding the feature. There was an article claiming that all one screen meant the top half had the touch sensing gubbins which might appeal to hackers or whatever. Clearly they just won't put that layer on the top.

The reason it does not fold is because the 2DS only has one screen panel masked by the plastic cabinet to look like 2 screens and not 2 separate screens. So the design makes a bit more sense when you consider that.

It makes perfect sense... but I still see it and want to fold it. It's ingrained in me.

It's actually uncomfortable to look at it. I'm going to stop looking at it.

I suppose the massive touch screen rumours come about because some people think the touch screen on Nintendo stuff is the same as everybody elses, an actual capacitive layer laminated directly onto the LCD, which would have meant the top portion would have been touch sensitive if the one big screen masked off pretending to be 2 seperate screens is true, wonder if you press hard enough on the edges on the bottom screen portion, you can get it to do the crushed LCD effect, as you'd effectively be pushing on the part of the LCD that is hidden by the bezel.

The ifixit teardown should answer the question in due course.

Maybe the large touchscreen is just re-use of the pile of parts from the few million Wii Us they cut from the latest estimates. And before you hit that neg button, it isn't even that far fetched. It wouldn't be the first time stockpiled parts from a bad selling product are being used in another product to offload inventory (large inventories are bad for the books, but buying in bulk is cheap).

It looks very uncomfortable to use.

Also, how many games need the gamepad on wiiu? Zombie u is the only that would be a real problem as far as I know.

Few games absolutely need the Gamepad but many make use of it and all assume it's there. There's no way to remove Gamepad without either breaking games or making them confusing/awkward to use.

It looks very uncomfortable to use.

Also, how many games need the gamepad on wiiu? Zombie u is the only that would be a real problem as far as I know.

It looks very comfortable to me.

The vast majority of them do. There might be a couple that just do straight mirroring but most have stuff ranging from minor controls, to inventorys, to major gameplay functions.

The design looked really strange to me at first but I've come around to it. The simplicity of the design is what makes it really appealing to me and from what I've seen it also speaks to a lot of other people. This might become the next DSLite.

Speaking of which, the removal of features that I rarely use also helps along with that. I wouldn't be too surprised if this winds up becoming the best selling system this holiday. It'll certainly help convincing more developers to publish more titles for the 3DS.

Soooooo... who else is pre-ordering the Famicom White/Red?

ignIMZgHNXuDg.gif

Yeah, im getting a white red one - well i mean one of the kids if of course ;)

People saying wii u without the tablet need to step back from the crack pipe, nintendo land is the reason it will never happen let alone every other reason. It's already going to be 149/199 at christmas so there is no price issue i can see.

I'm just glad they're bringing out two colours so my boys can have different ones for Christmas. They'd already decided they both wanted 3DSes anyway (this of course being subject to change multiple times over the next few months).

It will work out a lot cheaper than the last time we bought them DSes (light and dark blue Japanese DS Lites).

The reason it does not fold is because the 2DS only has one screen panel masked by the plastic cabinet to look like 2 screens and not 2 separate screens. So the design makes a bit more sense when you consider that.

No it's because it is a 2D machine and cannot function in that 3rd dimension. Duh.

I can understand parents getting this as a cheap(ish) present for their small kids, but I'm baffled by adults going gaga for it. "Here's a version of a product that's worse in pretty much every way than the one you already own." "I'm fucking getting one!"