rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
therearerules

Nintendo 2DS

I think most parents aren't particularly bothered about scratches, especially if they don't use the units themselves. As a parent you assume the stuff you give your children will get hammered, wear down and eventually break. So you want it to be sturdy and reliable, but assuming that it will remain cosmetically 'as good as new' is ridiculous with young children - clamshell design or not. With that in mind, the delicate / fragile hinges would be more of a concern than a screen getting a few scratches on it as a broken hinge will need replacement/repair while a scratched screen will still work fine.

Gorilla glass may be scratch resistant but it's not drop resistant. I'd be surprised if the 2DS wasn't more resilient to a fall on the pavement than an iPad is.

I love the clamshell design. You can close the lid and toss it in your bag. I'm always wary about doing the same with 'exposed' screens.

Oh well, it's a shame they've felt the need to ditch it, but it makes no difference to me.

This has happened before without much fuss, the DSi update made the Guitar Hero DS games unusable because it didn't have a GBA port to plug the controller into. And so far it's two games you can't complete on the 2DS, the other being Phantom Hourglass which I think has a similar kind of puzzle.

You can still complete it, you just flip the 'sleep mode' switch instead. Same effect.

Any 'reflection' puzzles you can just look it up on gameFAQs (or guess the answer). Not "unplayable" by any stretch.

Seeing as this doesn't do 3D, I assume the top screen won't be super reflective like on the 3DS and 3DSXL. That to me would be a good improvement. Also, the button layout looks as if it will be far more comfortable than the 3DS or 3DSXL for someone like me with large hands. I think I'm warming to this 2DS.

Not seen it mentioned here yet, but Nintendo are not releasing the 2DS in Japan.

I think this show their faith in it - it really is just a cheap thing for us stingy foreigners.

• Downvote 1

I love the clamshell design. You can close the lid and toss it in your bag. I'm always wary about doing the same with 'exposed' screens.

Oh well, it's a shame they've felt the need to ditch it, but it makes no difference to me.

They've ditched nothing. There will doubtless be a 3DSXL2 and 3DS2 in the future.

Wonder if the 2DS will come with a book saying "if something asks you to close the console, press sleep instead" and a pre installed bookmark to a Nintendo FAQ page talking through specific problem games.

I think people on here who like it look at it and think ..simpler, better for kids. But I think a lot of parents will think well..100 quid...no screen protection...false economy, pass.

Have you seen the absolute f'ing mess that young kids make of the screens and nooks and crannies of a clamshell 3DS?

Try this: pour yourself a big glass of milk. Now make yourself an open Nutella sandwich with about 1.5cm of Nutella all over. Now get your 3DS and start a game that uses the touchscreen. Now blindfold yourself and carry on playing the game while swapping the sandwich and milk in and out of either hand. Do this until finished, then take a look at the 3DS. Then, don't clean it and just close it and put it at the bottom of your bag for a few days.

• Upvote 2

That just helps me not want any kids. Imagine their pain living with me. Dad I wana new nintendo... son, you must finish Super GNG on your 60hz Super Famicom before you're allowed any more games.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Well i think shutting the 3ds helps prevent scratches yes, which a parent would possibly agree with.

People hated the Gameboy and Gameboy advance.

Those hinge-phones are all the rage too.

You may be right, i dont have kids but i have seen some horrifically scratched screens so maybe that goes with the territory. I still think it resembles one of those Tiger electronics cheap knock off things though, it just looks crap. I shouldnt even be discussing it that much as its not aimed at me, i think its rubbish, but hey.

You can fit a screen protector.

You can't fit a hinge protector.

The internet reaction to this is weird. All "I want to fold it" and "looks ugly" plus "Nintendo be crazy".

I guess all the well to do geek types forget that some people might not want to shell out £180 on a handheld these days? You know, you don't HAVE to buy it. Jeez.

The internet reaction to this is weird. All "I want to fold it" and "looks ugly" plus "Nintendo be crazy".

I guess all the well to do geek types forget that some people might not want to shell out £180 on a handheld these days? You know, you don't HAVE to buy it. Jeez.

This is the internet. We don't buy anything, but we have to moan about everything.
  • Upvote 1

Oh, I think a cheaper padless WiiU is next.

Amazed anyone thinks this. The Gamepad is a core feature which is used in some way by almost every game. How could they possibly remove that without breaking the games? Aside from the fact the Gamepad is ace.

It's absolutely never going to happen. What I think Nintendo could do is relaunch the Wii U with less confusing name. I don't think they will.

• Upvote 2

This is all the build up and preparation work for their next console, which will be a hybrid home/handheld console, and the handheld bits will all slot into the main container a bit like the way the wedges fit into a trivial pursuit counter.

I think it's a good idea for people who want a cheaper, sturdier alternative.

I also think it's ugly as sin and I want to fold it.

These are not mutually exclusive opinions, chap. :)

I feel like I'm losing my mind. I've got kids approaching DS age and I would much rather spend the extra few quid and get them a proper one.

I feel like I'm losing my mind. I've got kids approaching DS age and I would much rather spend the extra few quid and get them a proper one.

Pretty sure nobody is stopping you.

• Upvote 1

I can see a Wii U without the tablet pad arriving at some stage. Yes, there will be a few unplayable games, but the majority of the games available seem to be playable on one screen alone. And if they ever want to get the Wii U down to a really mass market price then the controller is the obvious thing which pushes up the price.

One of the aforementioned articles speculated that if Nintendo could go back in time we'd have a non 3D 3DS and a non tablet Wii U. I think there is a lot of truth in that. Without the Wii U tablet Nintendo could probably knock at least £50 off the launch price of the Wii U without affecting margins.

Amazed anyone thinks this. The Gamepad is a core feature which is used in some way by almost every game. How could they possibly remove that without breaking the games? Aside from the fact the Gamepad is ace.

I was under the impression that very few games actually require the controller screen in order to play the game. It could just become like Kinect features, usable if you have Kinnect but otherwise perfectly playable if you don't. Nintendo could still sell the controller separately but lower the price of the Wii U and encourage people to pick up a Wii Pad sometime down the line.

It's absolutely never going to happen. What I think Nintendo could do is relaunch the Wii U with less confusing name. I don't think they will.

Most likely outcome is that Nintendo will release a GamePad-less Wii U, but with an even more consumer-confusing name like the Wii+ or something equally ridiculous. Nintendo have lost all sense of logic.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can see a Wii U without the tablet pad arriving at some stage. Yes, there will be a few unplayable games, but the majority of the games available seem to be playable on one screen alone. And if they ever want to get the Wii U down to a really mass market price then the controller is the obvious thing which pushes up the price.

Pretty much every single game has some sort of functionality for the second screen, even if it's just toggling which screen it's viewed on.

They'd either have to stop those games being played entirely or have some sort of patch for each game to disable those elements. Neither is going to happen.

A padless WIi U is never going to happen. Never.

Unless the Nintendo 2D Tablet mock-up becomes a reality later on and then doubles as a separate Gamepad for a cheapo WiiU Mini Base Station.

Though yes, it's a bit farfetched.

Oh Nintendo, you have to love them, but gee they sure are rubbish.

I think their next handheld should be a 7-inch touchscreen with dual thumbsticks called Game Boy 2.

• Downvote 2

You can afford to do that though. Many can't.