Nintendo 2DS

therearerules

Hang on, so you can get the 3DS for £130 as long as there is a deal... Right... So there definitely won't be any deals on the 2DS for similar amounts, will there...? Or maybe there will be.

Also, what has the Wii Mini got to do with anything? Or Game's trade in offer? You come across as someone on a street corner rambling about Aliens landing in South America that causes a typhoon in Hawaii and the conclusion from that is that Barack Obama is a lizard.

The deal seems to be trade in your xl and pay a tenner, you'll be looking at paying at least 100 notes for this thing. You really think its worth 100 quid? Wii mini is another of Nintendo's value offerings that was absolutely terrible, and bombed. It's about as relevant as it's possible to be.

Which games have sections that are unplayable with 3D turned off? I always play 3DS games in 2D because my eyesight means 3D doesn't work for me and I haven't had any problems so far. 3D Land would be the most obvious but that has a camera button to change perspective in the bonus rooms that make it easy enough to figure out what you're supposed to do.

The deal seems to be trade in your xl and pay a tenner, you'll be looking at paying at least 100 notes for this thing. You really think its worth 100 quid? Wii mini is another of Nintendo's value offerings that was absolutely terrible, and bombed. It's about as relevant as it's possible to be.

I know what the deal is. But that's just Game being Game. Nothing to do with Nintendo. Do I think it's worth £100? Yeah, probably.

I don't have an issue with the console at all, but quite a few games would suffer from the lack of 3D with some sections almost unplayable.

Which games are harder to play in 2D? I like the 3D but everyone else in my family play in 2D all the time. I don't remember anything made difficult by that.

This is an odd move but I can see where it might appeal.. I might go for a cheapo 2DS I suppose (i dont currently have a 3DS or indeed care a toss about 3D)

However why didnt they take this opportunity to fix the misconceptions over DS and 3DS etc. what about this as a plan

1) Ditch the DSi/DSlite (they still produce/sell them I think for a smidge over £100)

2) Bung the 3DS innards into DSi style clamshell cases obviously adding circle pad etc etc new logo

3) Market it as 2DS or DS2 sell it for about £100

4) Profit....

Hey presto no more old DS to worry about confusing the market. You just have one product line the "new and improved DS" that plays all DS branded games DS, DSi and 3DS. If you pay extra for the 3DS you can play some titles in whizzy 3D... if you want a budget machine it'll play all DS branded games in 2D

so basically embrace the confusion over DS branding and bring it all into line as a new range of DSes

Why hasn't Nintendo improved the battery life for this new model? That's one area where being budget conscious (though how much ARE decent batteries?) directly impacts upon the user experience. My iPad lasts for 10 or 11 hours on a single charge. My original 3DS lasts for 3 and a half at the most. Why isn't Nintendo considering how handhelds are perfect for long trips, particularly for kids? I'm sure it can argue that it went with the best battery solution at the time when designing the 3DS (doubtful though that is), but I don't think there's much of an excuse with the 2DS.

How low does Vita have to go in price before it's actual realistic competition to this machine? Just needs some kid-friendly software!

The 2DS is for the price-conscious customer. They don't want to sabotage sales of the 3DS and 3DS XL by putting them at a disadvantage spec wise.

Well we'll see how it plays out but i think it's wholly unnessecary, and wont take off.

Not to push the issue too much, but think of this scenario come this christmas:

You have two children, both want a new Pokémon and new Mario Party for their 3DS. However, the second one of your children is getting older and wants her own 3DS. However she's under age 7 and you don't want to sod through a manuel checking where the parental controls are on a system you'll never play with and that you have to fork over 170 euro's for. Beyond that, the kids also want two extra games for the combined price of 80-90 euro's.

All of a sudden, hey look at that! A nice budget version that won't force you to sod through parental controls and also saves you the cost of one extra game. Instead of paying 170 + 80/90 = 250/260 euro's, you get to shave of €40 that attack on your wallet. Both kids now have their own 3DS, both have games they can share and they can finally co-exist in peace. Plus you won't have to worry about marmelade in the process anymore either.

Anybody who thinks this won't outsell the other 3DS iterations is mental.

I must be mental, i dont think it'll sell that well. Kids arent daft, they;ll want the proper 3ds. Parents will look at the clamshell version, and this scratch magnet and think lets pay the extra few quid for the screen protection. IMO obviously, we'll see.

I think it sounds great! Play 3DS games cheaper. What's not to like?

I must be mental, i dont think it'll sell that well. Kids arent daft, they;ll want the proper 3ds. Parents will look at the clamshell version, and this scratch magnet and think lets pay the extra few quid for the screen protection. IMO obviously, we'll see.

I reckon it will be bought for kids for Christmas. It's a cheaper alternative. 2 kids, get 2!

It looks a lot more robust to me. Most people who've owned DSs will have had one or two go wrong down to the hinge etc. A bigger problem than scratches. I'd choose this model for my youngest (nearly 8 ) the foldable one for my 13 year old who's far more likely to carrying it around in her bag.

I was surprised at the lack of clam-shell but I can see how much simpler this must be to make so it must be hugely more profitable.

Which games have sections that are unplayable with 3D turned off? I always play 3DS games in 2D because my eyesight means 3D doesn't work for me and I haven't had any problems so far. 3D Land would be the most obvious but that has a camera button to change perspective in the bonus rooms that make it easy enough to figure out what you're supposed to do.

The up-in-the-cloud sections of Mario 3D Land don't have the perspective shifting option of those bonus rooms, so you can't really play them in 2D. Well, you can, but it involves a lot of guessing where each cloud is.

Aside from that, I haven't seen any other gameplay functionality that requires depth perception. That's the only one I know of, and it's a minor part of it. The screen folding thing purely triggers a switch, which the 2DS has on the front instead; it's only the DS launch game Another Code: Two Memories that I know of that required you to see a reflection of one screen in the other, and you could easily solve that puzzle without it. A minor issue.

Yeah, so this is obviously a good idea, but I must echo the sentiment that it's an outrageously ugly piece of hardware. It looks like it should fold, but it doesn't! All that extra space on the surface looks wrong. The wedge shape looks wrong. Everything about it looks wrong! Bleugh. I do hope it's incredibly sturdy, it looks it. Sub-100 quid, maybe with a bundled game, would shift loads.

if you had kids, you'd realise that you want the most robust device with the least amount of potentially breakable moving parts.

It looks a lot more robust to me. Most people who've owned DSs will have had one or two go wrong down to the hinge etc. A bigger problem than scratches. I'd choose this model for my youngest (nearly 8 ) the foldable one for my 13 year old who's far more likely to carrying it around in her bag.

I was surprised at the lack of clam-shell but I can see how much simpler this must be to make so it must be hugely more profitable.

I think people on here who like it look at it and think ..simpler, better for kids. But I think a lot of parents will think well..100 quid...no screen protection...false economy, pass.

I think people on here who like it look at it and think ..simpler, better for kids. But I think a lot of parents will think well..100 quid...no screen protection...false economy, pass.

Well I don't represent all parents but I look at the possible breakage of the whole console (hinge problems) as more of a worry than a scratch on the screen. This is with regard to my youngest who's more likely to be careless with the fairly delicate 3DS. She's not so bad with it but I'm always wincing at the way she holds it or leaves it the edge of chairs etc.

I think worrying about screen scratches is more of a gamer/collector type thing. Kids stuff gets scratched.

Scratch magnet? Won't someone think of the iPad/Kindle/Nexus 7/Samsung 10.1 and every other tablet out there!?

How would that work? Neither screen has a camera, so nothing is picking up the reflections (unless you mean that you have to reflect the screens off each other and then view the merged images). Certainly for the puzzle in whatever game that asks you to press all those buttons at the same time then hitting sleep should work right?

Literally what I said - you half-close the DS so that you can see the reflection of one screen in the other. The reflection combined with the image already shown solves the puzzle.

Well I don't represent all parents but I look at the possible breakage of the whole console (hinge problems) as more of a worry than a scratch on the screen. This is with regard to my youngest who's more likely to be careless with the fairly delicate 3DS. She's not so bad with it but I'm always wincing at the way she holds it or leaves it the edge of chairs etc.

I think worrying about screen scratches is more of a gamer/collector type thing. Kids stuff gets scratched.

You may be right, i dont have kids but i have seen some horrifically scratched screens so maybe that goes with the territory. I still think it resembles one of those Tiger electronics cheap knock off things though, it just looks crap. I shouldnt even be discussing it that much as its not aimed at me, i think its rubbish, but hey.

Literally what I said - you half-close the DS so that you can see the reflection of one screen in the other. The reflection combined with the image already shown solves the puzzle.

This has happened before without much fuss, the DSi update made the Guitar Hero DS games unusable because it didn't have a GBA port to plug the controller into. And so far it's two games you can't complete on the 2DS, the other being Phantom Hourglass which I think has a similar kind of puzzle.

Are you suggesting that the clamshell helps against scratches? Have you ever seen a second-hand 3DS to start with?

I think most parents aren't particularly bothered about scratches, especially if they don't use the units themselves. As a parent you assume the stuff you give your children will get hammered, wear down and eventually break. So you want it to be sturdy and reliable, but assuming that it will remain cosmetically 'as good as new' is ridiculous with young children - clamshell design or not. With that in mind, the delicate / fragile hinges would be more of a concern than a screen getting a few scratches on it as a broken hinge will need replacement/repair while a scratched screen will still work fine.