Nintendo 2DS

therearerules

Daily Mail rejoices! Evil 3D technology banished; women all around the world simultaneously give birth now that they know their children's eyes are safe once again!

But yeah it's a good move on Nintendo's behalf, still anyone considering buying one for themselves that already has a (personal) 3DS should be shot. There's no advantage to it and I think the design is horrible.

But it definitely does strain your eyes no matter how old you are. It will affect you more if youre four as youre still developing.I guess that's the thinking. Go to jail!

Medical evidence of this sort of 3D effect has been found to improve eyesight, not damage it. It doesn't strain your eyes if you're doing it right (after all, we see in 3D all the time and it doesn't affect us).

There's a switch to simulate closing it and put it to sleep, that'll do the same thing surely.

It can't. Some of the puzzles people are on about require the screen to partially close so you can see the reflection of one screen in the other.

They're all DS, not 3DS, games though I think.

I don't see what it really matters. I love my 3DS XL; if for whatever reason others end up loving this, so be it.

Surely it can only bother someone who has to buy every new piece of Nintendo hardware for the sake or it. You can't be worrying about those people.

Wasn't the DS declared the "third pillar" at one point?

But then 3DS arrived while DS was still around. I presume you can still buy a standard DS now?

So now there's 3DS XL. And they've introduced the 2DS which is basically a DS which can play 3DS games (but in 2D), and which doesn't fold.

Mate.... sort your product management team out. Get them out together. Get them good and drunk. Then document the results and call it a product strategy.

They could have gone all 80s movie sequel-without-the-original-lead-actor and called it a DS Too.

If I had kids, they'd be getting one each. If I'm honest, my niece and nephew will be getting one each from me this Christmas so I can teach them how to play Pokémon.

Then defeat them.

Why hasn't Nintendo improved the battery life for this new model? That's one area where being budget conscious (though how much ARE decent batteries?) directly impacts upon the user experience. My iPad lasts for 10 or 11 hours on a single charge. My original 3DS lasts for 3 and a half at the most. Why isn't Nintendo considering how handhelds are perfect for long trips, particularly for kids? I'm sure it can argue that it went with the best battery solution at the time when designing the 3DS (doubtful though that is), but I don't think there's much of an excuse with the 2DS.

How low does Vita have to go in price before it's actual realistic competition to this machine? Just needs some kid-friendly software!

It can't. Some of the puzzles people are on about require the screen to partially close so you can see the reflection of one screen in the other.

They're all DS, not 3DS, games though I think.

How would that work? Neither screen has a camera, so nothing is picking up the reflections (unless you mean that you have to reflect the screens off each other and then view the merged images). Certainly for the puzzle in whatever game that asks you to press all those buttons at the same time then hitting sleep should work right?

It's actually quite funny watching a whole bunch of vocal but clueless Internet commentators completely misunderstand this.

Pokemon XY will be absolutely enormous.

That's very dismissive, Nintendo fans arent all just kids, they have a big fanbase, and this thing is not exactly setting the imaginations on fire. IIRC the Micro wasnt exactly a success, the WiiU basic pack wasn't a success, people arent stupid..they don't want bad versions of better products. Then once GAME et al start adding tenners here and there jacking up the price, it just gets silly.

RRP is meaningless, the market price is the true price, and the fact you can buy a 2nd hand Wii for 40 quid....who's going to pay 100 quid for a Wii Mini? No one, that's who. This 2ds shoulda been about 80 quid, marketed as a starter ds for kids. The guy who said the 3ds is RRP 169.99....I didnt even pay that at launch, and there are always deals knocking it to around 130. The final lol has to be GAME's trade in offer..pay them a tenner to swap your full featured 3ds for a 2ds? What kind of chump would entertain such a move. The whole thing is just symbolic a company in creative (not financial) crisis.

Thinking about it some more, I think i've figured out where the 2DS is going to slot in. It will probably become what the GBA SP and DSLite became for their respective handheld lines, namely the most prolific iteration that most people bought.

Being released with such destinctive design, cheaper price, launched on the same day as Pokémon X & Y and removing a feature that scared many customers, not just parents, away from the product will cause it to rise to heaven in terms of sales.

That's very dismissive, Nintendo fans arent all just kids, they have a big fanbase, and this thing is not exactly setting the imaginations on fire. IIRC the Micro wasnt exactly a success, the WiiU basic pack wasn't a success, people arent stupid..they don't want bad versions of better products. Then once GAME et al start adding tenners here and there jacking up the price, it just gets silly.

RRP is meaningless, the market price is the true price, and the fact you can buy a 2nd hand Wii for 40 quid....who's going to pay 100 quid for a Wii Mini? No one, that's who. This 2ds shoulda been about 80 quid, marketed as a starter ds for kids. The guy who said the 3ds is RRP 169.99....I didnt even pay that at launch, and there are always deals knocking it to around 130. The final lol has to be GAME's trade in offer..pay them a tenner to swap your full featured 3ds for a 2ds? What kind of chump would entertain such a move. The whole thing is just symbolic a company in creative (not financial) crisis.

Hang on, so you can get the 3DS for £130 as long as there is a deal... Right... So there definitely won't be any deals on the 2DS for similar amounts, will there...? Or maybe there will be.

Also, what has the Wii Mini got to do with anything? Or Game's trade in offer? You come across as someone on a street corner rambling about Aliens landing in South America that causes a typhoon in Hawaii and the conclusion from that is that Barack Obama is a lizard.

Hmm, it may well be aimed at the demographic that is afraid of 3D popping their young kids eyeballs, but the packaging pictures still have the PEGI 7 age logo on it, so at least officially it hasn't made any advances in that regard!

(It also has the USK age rating of zero, LOL. And someone else's rating of 6+. Not confusing at all)

Nintendo-2DS-008.jpg

Hmm, it may well be aimed at the demographic that is afraid of 3D popping their young kids eyeballs, but the packaging pictures still have the PEGI 7 age logo on it, so at least officially it hasn't made any advances in that regard!

That's most likely the ratings of the included software.