Nintendo 2DS

therearerules

I for one am sad at the inevitable loss of anything innovative happening in the 3D space in 3DS games, due to this new console. Admittedly the need for a slider ensured that 3D features couldn't be integral to gameplay anyway, but now there will be even less development emphasis in this area. It's a shame, as I love the screen on the 3DS - it's very clever and very cool. Really differentiated the console for me.

My kids have my launch 3ds and its alive still, they have played it more than me and it seems sturdy (kids are 8 & 13)

I have an XL and its for me only, I may be tempted to get a 2ds as one of the kids only had a DS - the other one has 2 broken ds's....

Yeah, I reckon Nintendo know what they are doing!

The 3D seemed like a gimmick when it was first introduced and now two years on (?) still does. I play with it off, as does everyone I know with one. It's neat in Fire Emblem cut scenes, but you know what, I'd rather the console was £40 cheaper.

Are the screens recessed? I'm guessing they are, or at least the touch screen one. For that reason I dont think dropping the clamshell is a good idea. Too much dust or crap will collect there and possibly underneath the screen. Let alone the fragility of the resistive screen. Flush screens with hardened glass, fine but this seems crazy.

Interestingly, there is only 1 screen on this device. That is why they are recessed so that the moulded plastic can be placed on top to give the allusion of two screens. Technically this means the top screen is also now a touch screen although it's unlikely the system firmware will recognise this. Because it's just one single screen, it is likely to reduce the costs associated with two different screens.

I actually like the design of the 2DS, because it's utterly ridiculous. I miss the days of totally ridiculous console designs before everything was the same boring "sleek entertainment" shite. Having enough space under the D-pad so that you don't turn your hand into a deformed vulture claw while using said D-pad is also a plus.

Interestingly, there is only 1 screen on this device. That is why they are recessed so that the moulded plastic can be placed on top to give the allusion of two screens. Technically this means the top screen is also now a touch screen although it's unlikely the system firmware will recognise this. Because it's just one single screen, it is likely to reduce the costs associated with two different screens.

That still doesn't seem likely. A resistive touchscreen like the DS is a screen with a sensor layer placed over it, there's no reason for it to be placed anywhere it's not needed. And having to buy 7-inch screens then basically ignore a quarter of the area can't be economical for manufacture or battery life.

Where is this coming from?

That still doesn't seem likely. A resistive touchscreen like the DS is a screen with a sensor layer placed over it, there's no reason for it to be placed anywhere it's not needed. And having to buy 7-inch screens then basically ignore a quarter of the area can't be economical for manufacture or battery life.

Where is this coming from?

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/oh-so-thats-nintendos-next-move

Curiously, the 2DS is even more of a tablet-style system than it appears at first glance, as it actually features a single large screen in its center, not two separate ones. As one of their cost-cutting design measures, Nintendo reduced the number of screens in the system from two to one, and the appearance of separate screens is merely simulated by the way the case masks out the extraneous portions. This means the entire screen is by necessity a touchscreen, with the upper screen protected by a layer of plastic that sits above it. While this makes no difference for the system's normal functions -- after all, neither the system's firmware or its software would recognize the hidden, inactive zones of the screen or the upper portion's touch capabilities, even if you exposed those portions -- I'm curious to see what hardware modders manage to do with the system.

It is an ugly piece of hardware but I'm with Pokemon it will sell well this Christmas. However all the comments I've been reading that this is a sign that the Gamepad might be dropped from future WiiU revisions are just dumb.

Thinking about it, the visual design of the 2DS makes perfect sense for their "seven and under" target demographic. It's more robust, has less weaknesses like hinges etc, and would fit perfectly in Argos's "children's electronic toys" section with the Vtech and Leapster stuff, while still looking more sophisticated than all of those.