IGNORED

Nintendo 2DS

therearerules

Or someone released a non-clamshell phone.

Motorola Razr V3 fo' lyfe.

If you're on the forum, then this isn't for you. How are people complaining? It does seem odd that they didn't just go straight for sub-£100 though.

They probably did, but Game added a tenner.

I'd be quite happy to see them do a new revision a few times every year just to see the reaction from the people who still think they might add a second circle pad.

Maybe they'll keep removing features until they eventually release an empty cardboard box for £3.

"My kids loved it!"

If you're on the forum, then this isn't for you. How are people complaining? It does seem odd that they didn't just go straight for sub-£100 though.

This actually is for forum people though, in a way. It's for them to give to their children. A lot of people that grew up playing the original Pokemon games in junior school have young kids now, there's loads of them on this forum. It's especially for the ones that get all fucking terrified and have trust issues about letting a kid play with their own expensive handheld; i.e. why I can never be a parent.

Kids who take this version to school are going to be the tech equivalent of turning up for P.E. in Dunlop trainers.

Well Reggie told IGN it was basically for under 7 year olds/toddlers to play with. (as was already said in the thread, never noticed!) It's not replacing anything, the 3DS and 3DS XL aren't going away so I don't see the fuss over it. Just another option.

Are the screens recessed? I'm guessing they are, or at least the touch screen one. For that reason I dont think dropping the clamshell is a good idea. Too much dust or crap will collect there and possibly underneath the screen. Let alone the fragility of the resistive screen. Flush screens with hardened glass, fine but this seems crazy.

It is amusing how quickly multiple people in here got their theoretical "toddlers with hinge rotting marmalade" story sorted out, rather than the actual obvious reason that it's a hideous compromise made in order to cut the price.

Well yeah, obviously, but it's one that's going to work brilliantly for them.

I think it's perfect for the market it's aimed at. And shops here will drop it to the magical £99 price point for sales and the holiday season, with some great bundles for £30-40 more. I say it's a smart move to make money from the dedicated mobile market in 2013. I won't be buying one, as I'm a 31 year old, but I still want a proper 'full fat' 3DS XL, and I will *gasp* even use the 3D.

It is amusing how quickly multiple people in here got their theoretical "toddlers with hinge rotting marmalade" story sorted out, rather than the actual obvious reason that it's a hideous compromise made in order to cut the price.

Finally a handheld that Paddington Bear can play.

if you google Nintendo+cracked+hinge

1.5 million results

theoretical?

Can't find any 2ds games

do 3ds games work on the 2ds

if its not 3d doesnt that mean its just like an old normal ds we already have one of those

a GBC is a NES

A GBA is a SNES

a DS is like, an n64

a 3DS is... a gamecube?

in terms of progression of power, not like-for-like, obv.

I don't think I'd buy one but as others have mentioned, I'm not the intended audience. What is more of a concern is that Nintendo have once again created a slightly muddled name for a new product - but then with the now non-existent 3D capability tied so strongly to the name of the 3DS, it's not like they could have just stuck 'Jr.' on the end of it anyway.

I don't think I'd buy one but as others have mentioned, I'm not the intended audience. What is more of a concern is that Nintendo have once again created a slightly muddled name for a new product - but then with the now non-existent 3D capability tied so strongly to the name of the 3DS, it's not like they could have just stuck 'Jr.' on the end of it anyway.

Just had an e-mail from Game trying to get me to pre-order one, underneath the picture it has a banner going ’PLAYS 3DS GAMES!' so they may be anticipating confusion.

"story sorted out?" Those, conniving, obviously-must-be-defending-their-beloved-games-company bastards! Jesus, you take this consumer electronic toy stuff deadly seriously.

Meanwhile, there is no more Ouendan (or SlitherLink :() in my life because both DS' we had died long ago of kid-broken hinges. Got my story sorted out real good, Hail Nintendo For Some Unknown Reason!

Chris Kohler and Jeremy Parish both have some great takes on this:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/08/nintendo-2ds/

&

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/oh-so-thats-nintendos-next-move

In short: it's less about Paddington Bear and marmalade and more about Nintendo dumping an expensive, custom made 3D screen that only frightened and confused customers in favor of cheaper screens and higher margins.

Parish also notes that today's news really emphasises what Nintendo's core market is: their handhelds.