rllmuk

23 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Just completed it, absolutely blown away by the ending. It's one of the best games I've ever played, just sublime. If it wasn't for Zelda this year I couldn't see another game getting close to GOTY for me.

To think they nearly packed it all in because the development was so protracted. 

It calls to mind many games, obviously ICO but I was surprised by how much it had a really similar vibe to the original Tomb Raider. It's also got a very Mario 64 mechanic for some bits and it has a lovely nod to Limbo as well.

Beautiful, beautiful game.

And the ending..... just....

Ditto!

Adored the game!

On 27/05/2017 at 23:49, metallicfrodo said:

It calls to mind many games, obviously ICO but I was surprised by how much it had a really similar vibe to the original Tomb Raider. It's also got a very Mario 64 mechanic for some bits and it has a lovely nod to Limbo as well.

Bought! I loved the sense of isolation Tomb Raider managed to generate (something the recent games totally failed at) to and I loved Ico for the same reason.

• Upvote 1

Well, I thought that was just a magnificent little game - probably my game of the year so far :) . 

Wonderful change of pace from the usual epic RPG games I tend to favour these days!

Just finished. It was a nice little game - relaxing, pretty and touching - but it didn't quite hit the heights of other indie darlings for me. I think partly due to how derivative it can be visually, but also that the gameplay is quite perfunctory and it's just a bit too long. 

While games like Brothers and Journey, which are the closest contemporaries I can think of right now, are also very slight in the gameplay department, they also have more of a unique voice and personality, explore their themes more concisely, and keep things moving more efficiently. In those games the relative shallowness of the gameplay doesn't matter because you're encountering something new or interesting every 10 minutes or so.

By contrast Rime is much slower to keep things moving and this exposes the shallowness of the gameplay much more, to the point where I was starting to get bored during the third level, where pushing blocks and carrying orbs around to solve a long succession of very easy puzzles was starting to wear thin. Honestly, I think I would have actually liked the game more if each level was half the size and it was a 3-4 hour experience rather than the 6-7 one it currently is. 

I'm not sorry I played it at all. It certainly has its moments. I just don't think it's going to linger in the mind much compared to the best in class. 

• Upvote 5
13 hours ago, Majora said:

Just finished. It was a nice little game - relaxing, pretty and touching - but it didn't quite hit the heights of other indie darlings for me. I think partly due to how derivative it can be visually, but also that the gameplay is quite perfunctory and it's just a bit too long. 

I pretty much share your opinion of it. Played and finished it over the weekend and loved the visuals and music but the gameplay wasn't engaging at all. The puzzles and platform sections never felt challenging enough. I would rank it more as an experience than a game. Saying all that it's definitely worth a play and I'm glad I purchased it.

Also, every game should have an awesome big eared fox as a companion :wub:

Yeah, it's really good.  I've got different thoughts to the guys above; I like the easy nature of the puzzles and although I agree the gameplay is shallow I don't mind that so much as I've been playing games lately that overload you with systems.  I knew what I was getting into from reviews/impressions I'd read so my expectations were in check.

It's a nice change of pace, and there are really nice touches/moments dotted throughout that are keeping things interesting.  I'm at the start of the final area and I'm sad that it's nearly over.

I know this is anecdotal, but all the performance issues I experienced were when panning the camera over certain environments or even in closed in rooms where certain effects were being rendered.  Dropping to 1080p solves those problems.

And if everyone else experiencing issues is solving them by lowering resolution then surely that's just game engine performance issues.  How would Denovo ever be tied to 3d rendering? 

I like games like this where you just potter around in no great hurry, performing little tasks. The Witness was similar but its puzzles were much more aggressively difficult and it didn't have the same relaxing feel that this does. The music's really nice too.

I wasn't too bothered about the fox to be honest, I thought they overdid the button hints though when you were in the water, always telling you to dive if there was an underwater cave you needed to go through. After the first one I don't think there should have been a dive hint.

Finally finished this yesterday. Overall it's pretty average to play, but the visuals, atmosphere and especially the music elevate it way above most games I've played this year and it deserves more love than it seems to have gotten.

In a few years time I fear it will feature on a lot of 'best PS4/XB1 games you've never played' lists.

On 09/06/2017 at 15:59, Gizamaluke said:

The rain effects! I felt like I needed to towel off.

The heavens decided to open last night during the section you described which added to the atmosphere. 

Another great title to add to a long list in 2017. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might hate this. I've only played 40 minutes or so, but nothing about it feels right. The music is lovely, and obviously it looks nice too, but it feels like a mess. It clearly wants me to follow the fox, but there's things hidden around so I'm supposed to explore as well, but I'm fairly sure it just cut off a previous section of the environment and now I can't get back to where I wanted to explore. I keep seeing little areas I want to look at, but can find no access to. Then they seem quickly forgotten as I move forward a bit with the fox.

I also just had a moment that made me question the logic of the puzzles. Looking through the keyhole things places gold pieces onto doorways, right? But I just did a puzzle where it took some gold plating from a doorway and placed it on a plinth, which I then had to move to create another doorway. I have no idea how I was supposed to know that the gold would come OFF the doorway and onto the plinth, and now I have no idea how I'm supposed to know what the next keyhole I find will do, add gold to a plinth or add it to a door.

Am I playing it wrong? Am I being thick? Should I just keep going forward and just let whatever happens happen?

The mechanic you're describing just transposes the gold sections - it's up to you to figure out which way.

...well this was right up my street.  The puzzles may have been a bit simple and the mechanics sometimes a little clunky, but the setting and experience were exactly what I like these days. I also love how these games are obsessed with these physically unlikely stone towers. Felt like playing a Ghibli film.

I don't know if I'll go back for all the secrets, but I'll definitely look them up on Youtube. It was a moving story, and reminded me of the Unfinished Swan.

With this, Inside, and Little Nightmares, it's been a cracking few months for me.

Picked this up for £17.49 on PS4 and I'm enjoying it :)

Gameplay-wise it's a bit simple I guess, but it's a gorgeous game and I'm enjoying wandering around, exploring the world. It's a nice game to chill out to. After playing Breath of the Wild it feels like it needs a climbing mechanic as I keep trying to jump against walls, but I suppose most games will feel like that for a long time.

IMG_7042.thumb.JPG.7e3abe6beaa3ac5ceb62448595176715.JPG

11 minutes ago, schmojo said:

The mechanic you're describing just transposes the gold sections - it's up to you to figure out which way.

...well this was right up my street.  The puzzles may have been a bit simple and the mechanics sometimes a little clunky, but the setting and experience were exactly what I like these days. I also love how these games are obsessed with these physically unlikely stone towers. Felt like playing a Ghibli film.

I don't know if I'll go back for all the secrets, but I'll definitely look them up on Youtube. It was a moving story, and reminded me of the Unfinished Swan.

With this, Inside, and Little Nightmares, it's been a cracking few months for me.

I loved Inside - but I haven't played Little Nightmares yet. I'll check it out :)

Sometimes you just want something a little different from a game. A change in pace or just for a game to tell you a simple story and this is what Rime was for me.

I initially struggled a little bit with the controls initially but once used to them what a journey. The ending as well... as already mentioned in the thread, this will be remembered as a classic that no one played.

I still can't decide on this, from what I read from different people it could be my kinda game or totally not my kinda game. I kind of get a Abzu vibe more than Journey in terms of gameplay, i.e you are being pushed from A - B and just hitting buttons along the way. I guess Journey does something similar but somehow felt more open, also it has a unique mechanic carrying it through with the social aspect. What is the flow like? Is there a sense of constant progression? or are you going back and forth in the same area for hours at a time?