IGNORED

"AMD: PS4 performance advantage over XB1 bigger than many expect thanks to hUMA" (Gaf)

Meat

Is this basically saying that instead of having to carefully prepare data for use by a compute shader, programs on the CPU and GPU could basically just share the same pointers to data in hardware? If so, pretty cool stuff. Dunno how this would work in PC land, how would memory protection be enforced?

Huma Mahmood Abedin (born July 28, 1976) is an American political staffer best known for her work as long-time aide to Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Best known as wife to 'Carlos Danger', surely?

Cerny said to the verge:

Cerny: I believe an underappreciated aspect of what's going on is that PlayStation 4 is the world's most powerful games console, and I think that is going to become increasingly apparent as time goes by. Even if titles are multi-platform, if the game experience is more responsive or more visually attractive on a certain platform, it definitely does play into the overall success.

Meanwhile AMD have retracted their statement. Bit late now chaps!

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2052820/ps4_vs_xbox_one_amd_retracts_performance_comparison.html

Cerny: I believe an underappreciated aspect of what's going on is that PlayStation 4 is the world's most powerful games console, and I think that is going to become increasingly apparent as time goes by. Even if titles are multi-platform, if the game experience is more responsive or more visually attractive on a certain platform, it definitely does play into the overall success.

This is it

Since when has the most powerful won a generation?

So far it's happened 100% of the time. Ok so there's only been one other occasion when we've had similar launch conditions, so it doesn't really mean anything. But anyway

PS vs Saturn.

Does anybody remember any other simultanious console launches?

So far it's happened 100% of the time. Ok so there's only been one other occasion when we've had similar launch conditions, so it doesn't really mean anything. But anyway

PS vs Saturn.

Does anybody remember any other simultanious console launches?

we need some kind of matrix that lists generation "winners" by both "power" and the order they launched in

eg

2600 1 1 3

where 1 is the position in the console war

and 1 is where it launched in terms of other consoles of the same gen

and 3 is the position measured by "power"

except the example I just chose was fucked up in terms of "consoles"

so, yeah, it would be 1:1:3 if measured against the colecovision and intellivision, right?

nes 1:1:2 (ms 2:2:1)

snes: 1:2:1 (md 2:1:1)

PS1: 1:2:2 (Saturn 2:1:3 n64 3:3:1)

PS2: 1:2:2 (DC 3:1:2 xbox 2:3:1)

xbox360 1:2:2 (ps3 2:2:1)

(in brackets I show either the console that came second and whether it launch first, or the was most powerful)

so a "perfect" console would launch first and be most powerful to truly "win" a console generation:

1:1:1

or something

(obviously my scores are a combination of poor memory and personal opinion, some consoles are scored equally in terms of power)

I don't think having the most powerful console is a guarantee of anything, but it will certainly inform the decision of the enthusiast crowd, the people who buy the most games. Already there's talk from EA reps that one version of Need For Speed is going to be noticeably better on one next gen console over the other.

I don't think we're going to see straight up 30/60fps advantages to the PS4, but given the known specs and the mounting number of comments from developers and other tech heads, I think we're going to be well beyond the occasional extra piece of foliage or anti aliasing difference.

Just read an interview with the War Thunder devs, and they do address the power difference between the two consoles:

So it’s about policy, not power.

AY: No it’s not about power.

KY: We are scalable. We are running on a toaster [laughs].

AY: Well, obviously PlayStation 4 is more powerful than Xbox One.

How much more powerful?

AY: It depends what you’re doing. GPU, like 40 per cent more powerful. DDR5 is basically 50 per cent more powerful than DDR3, but the memory write is bigger on Xbox One so it depends on what you’re doing.

How is that going to translate to on-screen results for the kinds of games you want to make? So to optimise War Thunder on both consoles you could hypothetically make a better, prettier version on PS4?

AY: Yep.

KY: Probably yes. But again, that’s not a very big deal.

AY: Well, for an online game the difference between Xbox One and PS4 is not that big a deal. PS4 is more powerful, basically, but the main reason is not about power.

Edge (Source)

The trouble comes when you define generations.

Is it fair to lump the N64 in with the PS? Or the Xbox with the PS2? They were designed and released years apart, making use of the advances in technology. So many other factors determined which console sold the most.

But here we have two consoles, launched at the same time, with zero user base. Surely it's going to down to the quality of the games as to which one wins?

What do they choose Acronyms that are so easy to rip the piss out of?

It's a logical acronym, Heterogeneous Unified Memory Access, does exactly what it says on the tin, engineers are logical people, they ain't in marketing, unless contorting cool sounding backronyms is more important to people.

It makes using all the available hardware resources easier, it's been on AMD's hardware roadmap since 2006, they are so bloody slow that it won't actually be available in a shipped PC product until 2014, but it seems at least one console manufacturer got it ahead of the PC, 10 years is a long life span, anything which will allow better utilisation of the available hardware will come in useful over time as the rest of the wider hardware industry merges GPU/CPU into one usable resource, to use as you like.

pJdlkTr.jpg

VRNT3Em.gif

r6ibYa3.png