Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

So I got to the regular Mom again, the one which is the end of the line boss on your first run. I best her and the trapdoor opened to get to the Womb. I also noticed a gap in the wall so I decided to go through the hole in the wall.

I’d love an explanation of what the heck I just experienced there. I got into a massive cave with wave after wave of bosses, some I’d never seen before (including a massive angel).  I actually managed to take down eight bosses or so before I died, but it really pissed me off that I didn’t manage to find out what the purpose of that room was.

• 5 months later...

Since I got this on Switch I've been totally hooked. I think I've clocked a healthy 200 hours in total now but I feel I'm still learning new stuff every single session. There's just so many items and I simply can't remember what all of them do, and while some are great in combination with certain power ups they can suck if combined with others. I've yet to collect all endings, I think I've done all "normal" endings but now I simply don't know how to unlock the rest. The Endings menu states I need to kill certain bosses I haven't beaten yet, and it also seems like I need to clear Greed mode but I can't beat the final boss there, the enire screen gets filled with mobs and it just drains my health in seconds. Surely I must be doing something wrong as I can't understad how it's possible to beat him. 

Between the PC, Vita, PS4 and Switch version of this I've put in well over 1000 hours into the game. I play it almost every night before I go to sleep. I can beat mother roughly every other go, Mega Satan about one in five - is not that hard one you figure out boss patterns and how to extract the most out of every level.

Repentance is due out later this year. I can't wait to see how that turns out - it's a merger of the official Afterbirth+ and the fan-made Antibirth (which runs on the old Rebirth engine). The final and definitive Isaac, it should have a ridiculous amount of content.

I dread to check how many hours I've sunk into the N3DS version. About a year ago it was in excess of 200 but I still fire it up and lose an hour or two. I always play in Hard Mode and see the credits maybe 1 in 3 goes; it's still always fun and always different. I don't even care about instability because if it fatally crashes I can turn the machine back on and begin at the start of the level I was playing. Even game breaking bugs don't really hurt it.

33 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

I dread to check how many hours I've sunk into the N3DS version. About a year ago it was in excess of 200 but I still fire it up and lose an hour or two. I always play in Hard Mode and see the credits maybe 1 in 3 goes; it's still always fun and always different. I don't even care about instability because if it fatally crashes I can turn the machine back on and begin at the start of the level I was playing. Even game breaking bugs don't really hurt it.

The 3DS version is just vanilla Rebirth - if you have or plan on getting a Switch you should absolutely get Isaac for that. Afterbirth+ Is harder for sure but the mechanics and visuals are noticeably better and there's fun stuff like the Forgotten to play as. 

On 24/02/2019 at 16:32, Popo said:

Yea, I get that. I found the game hard enough to stay alive with the standard amount of health, never mind the good power ups being hidden behind doors which strip you of that. It really felt like the developers thumbing their noses at me, having already paid money for a game I struggled to find the pleasures of. 

Edit - I realise it’s not very sporting simply to register my displeasure when y’all have had the opposite experience. Perhaps someone can offer some advice on how to get into the game? Or maybe there’s nothing more to get and I should just sell it on?

Sorry for the late reply, but this video really made me rethink old gaming habits to get into this game proper. I quickly found out that muscle memory from other rougue likes and twin stick shooters didn't apply here at all: 

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is this a sequel, or another revision/expansion of the original game?

Another expansion but it should be a hefty one, it is including a whole mod with new levels and enemies that was built using the mod creation kit. The team that made it were brought onto the team for the official expansion to port it across.

1 hour ago, keptbybees said:

Another expansion but it should be a hefty one, it is including a whole mod with new levels and enemies that was built using the mod creation kit. The team that made it were brought onto the team for the official expansion to port it across.

The initial plan was to fold the Antibirth mod, itself an expansion of Rebirth, into the official Afterbirth expansion to create a single definitive title but it sounds like it's exceeded that original scope. Can't wait to see what they've done. 

5 hours ago, Marlew said:

The greatest roguelike by a million fucking miles. Makes Hades look like a dogshit flan. 

:lol: Did you ever come to your senses over this hepatitis souffle, by the way?

I feel like such a dirty hipster for saying that I still prefer the original flash version of Isaac, but I'm almost 80% positive that I'm not just saying that for effect.

People who like Isaac should get a huge kick out of Monolith, it's cheap at the minute - https://store.steampowered.com/app/603960/Monolith/

@ImmaculateClump Hey, I liked that! (for some reason) 

That said, I haven't played it since I flogged my Xbox six months ago and I hadn't thought about it even once in the intervening period. It's got no personality but I much prefer the basic gameplay of running and gunning to most of the bigger names.

• 1 month later...

This is still my most played Switch game by about two hundred hours, and I only played it for three months before I made myself quit. This is the ne plus ultra for me, pure gameplay, addictively unpredictable systems and constant adaptation. There's nothing in gaming quite like a bonkers Isaac run. 

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

I have this on Switch (which I usually play), PS4 and Vita... I'm so excited for this that I don't know if I might need to buy this yet again on PC to have Repentance a few months earlier.

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe just had an unlucky few runs but there seems to be bugger all keys and loads of chests. Just taunting me.

Got killed overdoing it in a sacrifice room, forgot the number of times before Uriel spawns and ended up facing her with half a heart. Feels good to be back though. 

Oh my word, first time I've taken on Hush and even though I had the perfect build and dodged really ruddy well - still only got him to 50% health. How much health!?

After seeing some of the Twitch streamers I follow playing Repentance, I recalled I had Afterbirth due to adding it ages ago on PS Plus.

Started it on PS5 and after a few goes started to get the hang of it.  Can't remember why I stopped playing it years ago, but its really has one more go urge.

Quick question though, seeing on some streams they have a stats and percentage list underneath the health and keys section of their screen, on the Rebirth streams I watched earlier. Is that a PC mod or something, can't see it see that option on the PlayStation version of Rebirth.

2 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

Quick question though, seeing on some streams they have a stats and percentage list underneath the health and keys section of their screen, on the Rebirth streams I watched earlier. Is that a PC mod or something, can't see it see that option on the PlayStation version of Rebirth.

It's an option in the menu called "Found HUD", added in Afterbirth+