Sign in to follow this  
mechamonkey

Guardians of Middle Earth

Now coming to Steam yusssss!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100965004

http://youtu.be/agb8HlwR3Fs

This is still by miles my favourite MOBA, it's direct control rather than clicking and something that has absolutely dominated my playtime this year.

How to redeem your free copy on PC if you own it on console.

From the Guardians Website (https://www.guardiansofmiddleearth.com/buy):

Guardians of Middle-earth Steam Redemption Instructions
We are pleased to offer Guardians of Middle-earth Steam free of charge to eligible users who purchased and played the console version. Please follow these steps to redeem your copy:
From your XBLA or PSN account, start Guardians of Middle-earth*
Navigate to PROFILE section
Hit the BACK or SELECT button to bring up your unique VIP code
Start the Steam client or install from: http://store.steampowered.com/about/
From the Steam client, select GAMES >> ACTIVATE A PRODUCT ON STEAM…
Enter your console VIP code
If eligible your account will be prompted to download the Guardians of Middle-earth PC version (Standard Pack) **
*Please note the XBLA or PSN full game must have been purchased by 8/15/2013 and at least one match completed to verify VIP code.
**On August 29, 2013 your account will rollover to the retail version of Guardians of Middle-earth PC version (Standard Pack)

When Guardians of Middle-earth was released last year, it aimed to take the traditionally PC-centric MOBA genre to consoles, and despite some technical difficulties, it did so fairly successfully. Now, developers Monolith and Zombie Studios are looking to bring the Lord of the Rings themed game back to its roots: the mouse and keyboard.

Now, GOME was simplified a bit when it came over to the controller set, and for good reason. Skills have larger areas of effect to allow for easier control with a twin-stick setup, the traditional in-game item shop was removed in favor of a loadout system, and a match timer was added to shorten games. The result is a much more accessible experience than its MOBA ilk like League of Legends or Dota 2, both of which have been dominating the PC scene for some time.

guardiansofmiddleearthpcagandauralternat

The core gameplay from the console release hasn’t changed too much. You still have 36 Guardians to choose from (all the DLC packs are included with the PC edition), many of which were either in the Lord of the Rings trilogy or have since been seen in The Hobbit. Legolas is still there, as are Bilbo and Sauron himself. It’s still got two main maps in 1-lane and 3-lane arenas. Hell, it even supports Steam Big Picture mode and controllers, just in case you really dug playing that way.

But that doesn’t mean GOME has made its way to Steam entirely unchanged. The biggest addition is the inclusion of exclusive alternate skins for each of the 36 Guardians, all of which can be purchased by way of the in-game store.

The character skins join the three map skins available as DLC for the original version of the game, which change the look of the map to The Shire, Goblin-town, or Mirkwood.

guardiansofmiddleearthradagast3png-8827a

Survival mode, a wave-based game where teams of five do their best to try and survive the onslaught of wolves, goblins, and other Lord of the Rings creatures as they stream towards the team, also makes an appearance. First introduced as DLC for the console versions, Survival is a fun little distraction from the more serious modes, but it’s hard to imagine it being anything more than that.

While technical issues were prevalent in the console versions of Guardians of Middle-earth, the PC edition seems to have solved several of those problems. My online demo experienced very little lag, and I wasn’t dropped from a match a single time. That would have been somewhat unheard of when the console review was written, so it was a welcome change of pace.

guardiansofmiddleearthradagast2png-e93b1

Part of that comes with the help of Guardians of Middle-earth’s full Steamworks integration. With the help of Valve’s servers and software, the developer has smoothed out the matchmaking process, as well as added leaderboard support.

• Upvote 1

I play on 360 (Gamertag Mechamonkey Mk2) mostly but I do have it on PS3, (PSN Mechamonkey_mk2)

Love the fact you get a free copy of the basic game if you have a console version!
Steam prices are a bit mental though, can't wait to see the alternative skins.

The 360 version has a horrible bug where is says the dlc is out of date and puts you into Gold (trial) mode. You need to go to the settings and choose restart in regular mode till it works.. Only occasionally happens to me now though.

Other than that and the fact host migration is still broken the game isn't bugged at all any more!

We are pleased to offer Guardians of Middle-earth Steam free of charge to eligible users who purchased and played the console version. Please follow these steps to redeem your copy:
If eligible your account will be prompted to download the Guardians of Middle-earth PC version (Standard Pack) **
*Please note the XBLA or PSN full game must have been purchased by 8/15/2013 and at least one match completed to verify VIP code.
**On August 29, 2013 your account will rollover to the retail version of Guardians of Middle-earth PC version (Standard Pack)

Just did mine, it works and is showing in my Steam Library (although it's currently locked)

Edit: Added to first post along with additional info.

Just did mine, it works and is showing in my Steam Library (although it's currently locked)

I keep getting "invalid product code", but then I may just be being a bit cheeky as I got the game free from PS+. Has anyone had any luck registering a PS+ version?

@carlospie I don't have any probs to be honest and I've been hammering it since launch. However my connection is rock solid (BTInfinity2 with homeplugs) but there are people that drop out occasionally (same with any Moba to be fair)

@Radish I used my 360 version code, haven't tried with the PSN+ version yet.

This unlocks on Steam in a few hours so looking forward to giving this a bash later.

Interestingly they have made a few changes, all commands available at level 1 should be interesting!

Also the control scheme has changed so that you can now also play traditional MOBA style with mouse and keyboard should you choose to.

For people that stumped up for the full 50 quid all dlc etc version they got a mithril relic that is probably the most utterly overpowered broken thing I've even seen in a game, it essentially makes you 70℅ faster tougher and able to hit harder, its insane and completely game breaking.

Other than that the PC version really needs a bit more polish, the voice chat is buggered and basic attacks are bugged with a controller making you turn and move away from what your attacking lol.

Got it.

Elrond's summon archer ultimate has a 5 second cooldown. I've basically been soloing whole teams.

I'm having great fun with this to be honest, sure it's got a few too many bugs for a port of a game but nothing that's stopping me playing.

I've never got on with Arathorn he's probably my least used character, I don't like that he has no escape unlike the other archers. Actually he does go invis doesn't he after his ult, I'm probably just rubbish with him :)

Looks like the devs sorted the control issue before the holiday day and pax hit, so I'm hoping the game will get a few more tweaks this week, I like the new load out system but you can't tell which relics you've got equipped or what gems are in them at the moment, even renaming would be good.

I've still got hopes for this it's a brilliant game but its had a very shaky start.

The controls seemed fine for me, which is a huge relief.

I bought Elrond so I'm going to give him a test run later, and I'm running with the default loadouts for now.

They need to make the menus a bit more user-friendly if anything.

Do cooldown and Ability power on Elrond it's hilarious, he's a one man army.

I will, thanks ^_^

I'm not sure what it is about Arathorn. could be the mix of ranged and melee abilities. The amount of times i've had enemy guardians close in looking for an easy kill (while i'm pew pewing soldiers) only for me to unleash melee ability hell on them. He doesn't really have much in the way of an escape except the ultimate, but i've found he never really needs it, though I do play quite cautiously.

• Upvote 1

The gems fit in. But its colour coded. Go on load out then fit a relic. Then out the right colours in. So red red yellow relic needs those colours.

Stack ability (blue) on a rat horn its hilarious

The gems fit in. But its colour coded. Go on load out then fit a relic. Then out the right colours in. So red red yellow relic needs those colours.

Stack ability (blue) on a rat horn its hilarious

Oh aye I understand how they go in, I played the Xbox version for freakin' hours!

I just can't see an option to slot them on the PC version. Like I said, i'm being daft :blush: