rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Wiper

The Greatest PC Games of All Time: The Results - Top 5 now up.

We're only up to 87 Scribblor. Calm down. :P

But yeah, TLJ is incredible and personally I'd have like to see it higher, but oh well. Plenty of good stuff to come!

I've come to expect a better class of antagonism from you than "Ehh.", step it up! :quote:

I appreciate the descriptions though, far better than a dry list. It's nice to see Little Big Adventure 2 in there, it's not a series I see mentioned often.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, I don't actually hate DOTA 2 - I just don't understand its genre's appeal (that isn't me being disingenuous - I may not enjoy MMORPGs or sports games, but I at least understand what there is to like about them - MOBAs I just don't understand whatsoever), so can neither criticise nor praise it usefully. So I gave my general reaction to the genre - a bemused shrug.

(and then made a jab at it in the opening paragraph, because I could)

And yeah, I was glad to see Little Big Adventure 2 do so well - such a wonderful series.

• Upvote 4

I've been playing Pirates! Gold (the DOS game, not the original and DEFINITELY not the 2004 remake) today, and it's great. So I expect to see it in the top ten, alright.

I've been playing Pirates! Gold (the DOS game, not the original and DEFINITELY not the 2004 remake) today, and it's great. So I expect to see it in the top ten, alright.

I take it you voted to help make sure that would happen, then?

*does a quick search of the voting thread for "Pirates"*

Oh. Oh dear.

WoW is surely going to be number 1 - stacks of people voted for it. As someone who mainly looked upon it from the outside, it was less a game and more a cultural phenomenon.

The remake is exactly the same, though. Just far prettier.

WoW is surely going to be number 1 - stacks of people voted for it. As someone who mainly looked upon it from the outside, it was less a game and more a cultural phenomenon.

Number 1 is going to be Tie-Fighter.

Aye, the top 10 is... interesting. Some things I expected (disappointingly) came to pass, but there were enough surprises to keep things interesting.

Aye, the top 10 is... interesting. Some things I expected (disappointingly) came to pass, but there were enough surprises to keep things interesting.

CoD, Grim Fandango, Half Life 2 in top 5 I reckon.

This is a most enjoyable read Wiper, good work!

The remake is exactly the same, though. Just far prettier.

With a dreadful dancing game, a worse ship system, rubbish treasure map/save family hybrid and a shite land battle system, it's actually much worse. And to be honest I don't think it is prettier. It's charmless. I prefer the Amiga version's graphics (personal preference though).

I wish I had voted, Wiper, but I've been on the forum so infrequently lately that I never saw the thread when voting was open. Doesn't mean I can't express an opinion though, does it?

Some good games here. Nice to see Master of Orion 2 and delightful to see Homeworld. Both are incredible.

I wish I had voted, Wiper, but I've been on the forum so infrequently lately that I never saw the thread when voting was open. Doesn't mean I can't express an opinion though, does it?

I was just ribbing you for the fact that you were the sole hope Pirates! had to get into the list - poor, poor Pirates!. :(

Aye, if I'd have voted for any of the Civilizations, it would probably have been Call to Power, as it's the one I have fondest memories of. Alas, that's clearly not a common perspective.

I played Call to Power but only ever found it a pale attempt to move Civ forward after the success and acclaim that Alpha Centauri garnered. In many ways it's probably a better game than Civ 3 and indeed Civ 4 and 5, but Alpha Centauri still beats it handily for me.

I played Call to Power but only ever found it a pale attempt to move Civ forward after the success and acclaim that Alpha Centauri garnered. In many ways it's probably a better game than Civ 3 and indeed Civ 4 and 5, but Alpha Centauri still beats it handily for me.

Funny how much difference time makes. I remember back then PC Gamer and PCZone both gave Call to Power a higher score - they were reviewed in the same issue.

Oh, no doubt, Alpha Centauri's in a league of its own. But if you want pure Civiliztion, Call to Power (and Civ 2) would be my first choices.

45. Half Life 2 Episode 1 - with 4 votes. Average placement: 4th
Look, mummy, interactive cut-scenes and scripted combat sequences! Oooooooh.

Not a fan, then? :P

Oh, no doubt, Alpha Centauri's in a league of its own. But if you want pure Civiliztion, Call to Power (and Civ 2) would be my first choices.

As much as I played Civ 2 to death back in the 90s, I've found that I've really gone off Civilization in general. It's just Whig History: The Game and I find it an uncomfortable halfway-house between Paradox strategy games and super-simple empire building browser-game type things. Like the Command & Conquer series it's very stuck in the past, I feel.

Fortunately for me, I have only a passing interest in 4X games (literally - I will happily buy and play most any 4X game... once, to completion, then never play it again), so the Civ games' relatively simplistic nature suits me, and I've never really had a chance to get tired of them, or put off by their perspective on history (though their mashing of historical and mythological heroes together for the Greek faction still bothers me...).

Generally, though, I'd rather play a city builder. Preferably The Settlers II (now there's a game that languishes far too low in the list).

Generally, though, I'd rather play a city builder. Preferably The Settlers II (now there's a game that languishes far too low in the list).

I almost put Settlers 2 on my own top 10 list but decided to go with LBA2 as the 'game I played far too much of at the age of 10' entry. Absolute peak of the Settlers series there though - I remember being so very excited about Settlers 3 and then being very disappointed indeed when I finally got it.

and as an addendum to Things I Don't Like About Civilization, they managed to compound the sheer wrongness of the historical approach by going full Great Man Theory in Civ 4 :P