rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Wiper

The Greatest PC Games of All Time: The Results - Top 5 now up.

Amazing. This is a fascinating look at people's varied gaming histories, and really highlights the diversity of the PC as a platform. Thanks so much, and really look forward to the rest of the countdown.

Might want to recheck your results.

Damn, I did try to pick up on any Roman numeral issues, but missed that one. I'll run through and make sure I didn't miss any others. Thanks for the heads up!

Ah, no, that was correct, actually (completely misread what you were pointing out, there). That one got shunted off your list, as you listed Ultima VII: The Black Gate and Ultima VII Part Two: Serpent Isle as a single entry. On the plus side, in checking that out I stumbled upon a different error on my part - I'd accidentally entered Eschalon Books I & II as a single entry, so there are now 278 games in the list.

Jesus Wiper, you didn't have to do all of this manually I hope? If so, here's a plus 1 for your troubles.

It wasn't too bad - the main issues were validating all the different entries (and working out what people meant by things like "Medal of Honor - i forget what one it was, had a church level for mp?" [answer: Allied Assault]) and picking up on duplicates, but I'm well used to doing that sort of work in my job (with, frankly, far less reliable data). A couple of hours work, tops, and that includes half an hour of copying and pasting from the thread in the first place.

This one looks like it got left out of a larger total, probably because most people just called it "Alpha Centauri":

111. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1

I like that there were just enough votes to make it that a game needed at least two votes to get it into the top 100.

• Upvote 1

This says as much about RLLMUK as it does about PC gaming, when League of Legends (the world's biggest game by playerbase) and Starcraft II (probably in the top 5 biggest games by playerbase) are so low on the list.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This says as much about RLLMUK as it does about PC gaming, when League of Legends (the world's biggest game by playerbase) and Starcraft II (probably in the top 5 biggest games by playerbase) are so low on the list.

I think this has most to do with the average age of the mukers. I simply think games like LoL and Starcraft 2 are too new to make it into the top 10 lists of fellow forumites, even though we all know there are people on here who love them to bits.

I'd be surprised if the top 10 isn't made up of at least 50% of games released in mid to late 90s.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I belive my personal favourites resides in that time period as well, but that might be down to our age at the time, and the games more likely to make an impact on us.

With that said, FANTASTIC work, Wiper, you're one dedicated freak :wub:

Damn, I did try to pick up on any Roman numeral issues, but missed that one. I'll run through and make sure I didn't miss any others. Thanks for the heads up!

Ah, no, that was correct, actually (completely misread what you were pointing out, there). That one got shunted off your list, as you listed Ultima VII: The Black Gate and Ultima VII Part Two: Serpent Isle as a single entry. On the plus side, in checking that out I stumbled upon a different error on my part - I'd accidentally entered Eschalon Books I & II as a single entry, so there are now 278 games in the list.

Ah. Fair enough.

Top work on all this, and to think PC gaming has been dying for the past twenty years.

179. Ultima Underworld - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 6

If ever a franchise needed bringing back in glorious master-race-o-vision it's this one.

• Upvote 1

That was my vote. The game absolutely blew my balls off at the time. A complete and proper 3D environment that even predated Wolfenstein.

Once again The Avatar got gypped. Its a wonder he didn't tell Lord British to go f**k his kingdom and the dragon it flew in on.

Ultima in general is a brilliant series. Ultima online being the greatest mmo ever and still way ahead of the others in terms of content and mechanics.

I didn't vote as my memory is terrible.

• Upvote 2

I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get various Ultima games (mostly 7) to run on my PC but never managed it. So many boot disks re-arranging memory and still never quite had enough of the various types it required. I guess if I had got any of them running they may well have featured on my list.

The gog versions run really well on Windows and Mac these days. They even have the two Worlds of Ultima games free. Why EA is wasting the Ultima franchise on shit like Ultima Forever is beyond me.

This one looks like it got left out of a larger total, probably because most people just called it "Alpha Centauri":

111. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - with 1 sole voter, who placed it as their number 1

I like that there were just enough votes to make it that a game needed at least two votes to get it into the top 100.

Ack, you're absolutely correct. I'll tidy that up in a sec.

I'm pretty sure I posted my top 10 correctly (http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/272770-the-greatest-pc-games-of-all-time/page-6#entry9409154) and yet SpaceChem is ranked 278th, 1 vote, 10th place when I actually ranked it 1st on my list. This actually might move Alpha Protocol up as well as I ranked that 2nd.

Ah, that's my fault entirely - when I copied and pasted your votes I didn't notice that the numbered list you'd used was not picked up by Excel, so all of your votes were considered 10th-placers (one of the vagaries of Excel and the forum code - sometimes it registers numbered lists, sometimes it ignores them) Let's see how that alters things...

Edit: and fixed. Alpha Centauri is now correctly logged, and Alpha Protocol (plus czusw's other votes) are in their proper places.

• Upvote 3

We haven't even got to DOTA yet :P

(also, you should surely be directing your ire at everyone, including yourself, for the fact that not one person included a Men of War title in their top 10. Not one! Now that's a WWII-themed RTS that deserved some recognition)

God knows I love Men of War (and I still mean to write something up about just how much Company of Heroes 2's singleplayer campaign approximates an inferior rip-off of it at times) but I don't think it's top 10 good.

Well, clearly, neither did I, but that's because while I like strategy games, they've never been my favourite genre. Personally, aside from Homeworld and Combat Mission I don't think there's any real-time strategy games that can touch it (though I'd maybe consider Ground Control on a par). But then, my focus is entirely single-player, obviously.

You fucking idiots! You got it wrong! Theme Hospitalf, Terror From The Deep and Frontier not even making it into the top 100, let alone getting to their rightful place as joint second (along with Pirates! Gold, Transport Tycoon Deluxe and Civ 1). You damned, dirty apes.

I should have voted. :(