IGNORED

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

davejm

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a downloadable story-driven adventure video game developed by Starbreeze Studios and published by 505 Games released August 7, 2013 for Xbox 360 on Xbox Live Arcade, it will also be released for PlayStation 3 (PlayStation Network) and Microsoft Windows (Steam) late summer 2013.

The gameplay revolves around the interaction between the two brothers with each other and the world.[2] They must overcome obstacles and solve puzzles by working together. The player controls each brother with one of the analog sticks, allowing each character to move freely and individually. There are also individual action buttons for each brother. NPCs will have different reactions when interacting with each brother, where sometimes only one of the brothers can get specific information from specific NPCs.

I've been looking forward to this since seeing a preview a while ago. Anyone else like the look of this? Reviews seem positive, and it's out on Xbox Live now so I'd be interested to know if anyone's played it. I'll be waiting for the Steam version out at the end of the month.

Started playing this last night. Only about 20 minutes in but seems nice so far.

I'm finding the controls need some getting used to but that might just be me, can all feel a bit uncoordinated controlling two separate characters at once. Looking forward to playing more though.

I'm finding the controls need some getting used to but that might just be me, can all feel a bit uncoordinated controlling two separate characters at once. Looking forward to playing more though.

Just keep the little dude to the right of the big one as often as possible and you'll be fine.

Lovely game this.

I'd not heard anything about it until watching the Polygon review earlier in the week. The guy on that said that the controls were initially difficult but you then get used to it, which is supposed to reflect that the brothers learn to work together to overcome the... blah blah blah - you get what i mean :)

Can recommend it!

Finished this last night, took about 3hrs, and whilst I loved the the journey the game took me on, the gameplay itself for the bulk of the game is fairly simplistic with only a few genuinely clever interactions between the two characters.

It's well worth picking up for the experience, just don't expect the 9/10 game that Eurogamer promised. EDGE's review is on the money: http://www.edge-online.com/review/brothers-a-tale-of-two-sons-review/

I haven't played Journey but it's definately greater than Dear Esther.

It's one of my games of the year, it's short but very memorable. And what they do with the controls starts off as annoying but becomes amazing, especially when....no.....too soon even for a spoiler tag. You'll know it when it happens.

It's pretty much this generation's Another World with Josef Fares building on Eric Chahi's style of storytelling.

I'm glad it's being converted to PS3 and PC, it deserves to be seen by as many people as possible.

It really is a wonderful game

I thought the initial environment was very safe- village, countryside, mines, but I really appreciated that once the graveyard section began. I thought the giant stone tower was a wonder, but everything after that was incredible. Such a beautiful game, and I was glad with the gradual descent into the wonderful.

I also got a shock at the hanged bodies, and I stopped a man from hanging himself, and just left him sobbing with his dead family nearby. Properly harrowing stuff.

I rarely use my 360 so I could be doing this wrong, but I can only see options of 1000 points for £8.50 or 2000 points for £17.00.

Game have the 1200 point codes for £9.99.

I've not bought them through the dashboard in ages so had forgotten they were in different amounts.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this in one sitting last night, I just couldn't put it down.

Reminded me a lot of Ico with a touch of Journey, and I really loved how they squeezed so many inventive puzzles in whilst only needing to ever press two buttons and move two sticks.

There were some truly brilliant moments, off the top of my head...

The wolves, the hanging guy, the flying part, the rope climbing bit, the girl rescue, the spider 'boss', the end...

The more I think over it the more great parts I remember, and more importantly, so few bad ones, if any.

• 2 weeks later...

This is available on Steam now... priced at £11.99...

store.steampowered.com/app/225080/

You can get it from GreenManGaming for a tenner though...

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/pc/games/adventure/brothers-tale-two-sons/

Not sure if it's made it's way to PSN yet, but it was supposed to be out today there too.

Will be picking it up on Steam once I know I have a few hours free to move the PC downstairs (5.1 surround!!) and complete it in one sitting.

Just finished this and thought it was bloody fantastic. Really sad so few people seem to have picked it up, if the length of the thread is anything to go by at least.

It's one of those games that's all about the journey rather than particularly in-depth mechanics, but what a journey that is. Funny, sad and frightening. Imaginative, captivating and horrifying in equal measure. It's an absolute delight from both a visual and audio perspective, and has such incredible atmosphere.

What an experience :wub:

Beat this today myself, as well, and loved it. Some truly epic environments to wander through and I don't want to even put anything in spoiler tags, but, yeah.

Brilliant. Well worth a tenner, and even though it's short it feels short in a good way, like Journey, as if there's just no fluff at all, nearly every scene is unique and has its own ideas.

I've been playing this on PS3.

It's mostly ace.

There is a bit too much just push stick to guide brothers down paths and across ledges for my liking and I'm 100% bored of structures collapsing behind me in games. It always looks fantastic though, even if the gameplay isn't always there. Most importantly, the individual 'puzzles' you have to negotiate have all been engaging and varied. The way each brother interacts differently with stuff to illustrate their personality traits is really well done too.

And it has the best use of a rope in videogame history.

It's definitely one to play through in a single setting if you can.

I'm already sad it's over. It's like if Ico, Journey and Hans Christien Andersen had a baby. I knew basically nothing going in and it was all the better for that as I was constantly surprised and delighted at the imagination on show.

More like this please.