Pulp Fiction - do you guys LAV it?

I've seen this film numerous times, and having seen Heat at 120/250 on the IMDB top 250, with Pulp Fiction sitting at number 4, I gotta say it's pretty shitty. I mean, seriously, tell me why Pulp Fiction is so good? Everyone seems to think it's fucking awesome, I genuinely don't get it. Most of the characters spend their time talking shit. I'm not trying to be anti, but I can't really find anything to like about it, bar the scene with John Travolta driving on heroin, and a small amount of dialogue from Samuel L. Jackson. It's seriously over-hyped shite.

Gotta say Uma with that killer fringe is damn fine.

Forget my splurge of dissatisfaction - why do you guys think it's so great?

Let's see. It's well-written, with excellent dialogue, great acting from pretty much everyone involved that is not called Quentin Tarantino, is superbly edited and has a wonderful soundtrack.

So yeah, deserving of the praise.

it isn't simple AT ALL. it's acutely ironic and isn't even in chronological order. have you even watched it? Heat? fucking Al Pacino and deNiro. such a 90s action team. i've never even seen it because it looks and sounds so boring.

Oh you should definitely watch Heat. I'm sure you can handle a bit of talking to get to some action scenes.

I think the thing about Pulp Fiction's dialogue is that it's just there and there sometimes isn't any point to it. It fleshes the characters out nicely, but it doesn't have to drive the plot forward, there's no real call backs to anything anyone says in a "see, we laid the foundations of this earlier" type way, ready for the big reveal or twist later. They're just people talking and stuff happens, as eloquently put as that is.

That's not to say all the dialogue is pointless or doesn't relate to the plot or anything, because of course some of it does. But when it does it feels natural, like that really would have come up in a conversation.

I'm no film reviewer or anything though, so I'm perhaps not the best person to leap to Pulp Fiction's defence.

Pretty sure I'll be ridiculed like an idiot for this, but I'll say it anyway as I'd like someone to explain it to me, a bit.

One of the things I've never liked about Pulp Fiction is the way that it's cut, so the events all take place in the wrong order. I have no inherent problem with doing that in films; I've seen many films which have events that take place out-of-order that are superb - obviously, Memento springs to mind.

The problem I've always felt with Pulp Fiction is that normally, in a film, when you do that, you do it because you're rearranging time to fit the narrative structure of the film - like there's some event that happens chronologically early that you, as a storyteller, want to happen at the end - some kind of twist, or "big reveal", or turning point.

Conversely, the parts of Pulp Fiction always seemed a bit randomly spaced out to me. I never fully understood why it was arranged that particular order. Add to this that all clocks, watches and timepieces in the film all read the same time throughout, and it gives me the impression that the order wasn't settled on before the film was shot.

I dunno. I really like it; I like every character and scene - even the overall story. I've just never fully understood why Tarantino settled on arranging the film how he did.

Until today I'd never actually known anyone to not like Pulp Fiction. Even my mother likes it and she normally switches off when a film has more than four swear words.

Yeah, this. I've never seriously heard anyone say, "Pulp Fiction is shit!" Apart from the OP and some other dude with 379 posts, and they're clearly massive losers.

Ignoring the obvious trolling OP - I think Tarantino has been so influential it's hard to put him into perspective.

I can remember watching people walk out of a showing of Reservoir Dogs and everyone was in a state of shock. It was like nothing they (we) had seen before.

Of course, a few years later, everything has been copied a million times and it's like "what was so special". I guess you had to be there.

In spite of that Pulp Fiction is a hugely entertaining film. I watched it the other week with my 13 year old and she was blown away.

I think it's brilliant. Now, Reservoir Dogs on the other hand.......

What the fuck? What fucking forum have I stumbled across today?

Pretty sure I'll be ridiculed like an idiot for this, but I'll say it anyway as I'd like someone to explain it to me, a bit.

One of the things I've never liked about Pulp Fiction is the way that it's cut, so the events all take place in the wrong order. I have no inherent problem with doing that in films; I've seen many films which have events that take place out-of-order that are superb - obviously, Memento springs to mind.

The problem I've always felt with Pulp Fiction is that normally, in a film, when you do that, you do it because you're rearranging time to fit the narrative structure of the film - like there's some event that happens chronologically early that you, as a storyteller, want to happen at the end - some kind of twist, or "big reveal", or turning point.

Conversely, the parts of Pulp Fiction always seemed a bit randomly spaced out to me. I never fully understood why it was arranged that particular order. Add to this that all clocks, watches and timepieces in the film all read the same time throughout, and it gives me the impression that the order wasn't settled on before the film was shot.

I dunno. I really like it; I like every character and scene - even the overall story. I've just never fully understood why Tarantino settled on arranging the film how he did.

I thought the clocks thing was a myth?

Anyway, without the order being cut up, the film would end with Butch on Zed's motorcycle driving off, rather than a still alive Vincent walking out of a restaurant in shorts and a t-shirt like a boss. There might have been no more point to the film being cut up than that, but to me it's a far better way to end the film.

I have to pity the people saying Heat is boring. I had the pleasure of seeing an old print of it at a cinema last year, and I savoured every last little scratched up frame. Pulp Fiction's good too, but I don't appreciate it on quite the same level.

I think it's brilliant. Now, Reservoir Dogs on the other hand.......

Reservoir Dogs is amazing you madman! Everything Tarantino touched in his early career was. I love True Romance, up there with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, probably would have been even better if Tarantino directed it.

For whatever reason I really don't like True Romance. Can't put my finger on it. Natural Born Killers was shit too, as was the god-awful Tarantino section in Four Rooms. The less said about Kill Bill 2 and Death Proof the better.

Having said all that I think that with everything else in mind I really can't think of a writer/ director who has made so many films I've enjoyed so much in my lifetime.