rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Capwn

Orange is the new Black - Netflix Original

I'm sure there was a thread on this but for the life of me I can't find it. Perhaps I'm getting confused with reading thoughts about it in the netflix thread.

Anyway, I watched all 13 episodes over a week. I didn't think I'd enjoy it but I did. Not quite sure how representative it is of a real standard woman's prison but it covered some interesting conundrums that I've not seen before. It borrows the 'lost' formula of having episodes based on a certain character which works really well here as those flashbacks are usually about how they ended up in prison. Unfortunately not many of the characters stories were that deep, with some it explained the reason within 1 episode where as I think it would have worked better if their stories were explained with a few episodes. Only 13 episodes and over a dozen characters so that was always going to be problematic.

Some of the sub plots are a bit hammy. There is a filler episode about a missing chicken and the final episode is mostly and bizarrely mundane. So it's no 'Wire' but it's refreshing to watch a show dominated by women.

• Upvote 1

Probably wouldn't have bothered with this, but a bunch of critics I respect were going gaga for it, so I watched the whole thing in about a week and really enjoyed it. Worth it just to see Captain Janeway as a scary Russian.

I watched the first episode, the tone really threw me, like the woman didn't seem overly bothered about being sent to jail.

It bothers her pretty quickly. I think part of the character's role is to introduce us (as good, law abiding liberals) to what prison is like. So to begin with, it's an abstract concept, then the realities of locked doors and walls and other inmates become clearer.

I really liked it.

Surprisingly representative is your answer apparently Adam:

It's worth pointing out it's based on a true story -- the real Piper Chapman has a "special consultant" credit. She really did go to prison under the circumstances the show describes.

Janeway really does steal the show. Yeah, it seems a bit "first season of Community" for a short while but gets really good after a couple of eps.

It's worth pointing out it's based on a true story -- the real Piper Chapman has a "special consultant" credit. She really did go to prison under the circumstances the show describes.

It's a pretty free adaptation of reality, characters and events are significantly altered from the book.

Good show though!

I find her a bit annoying to be honest. Piper is annoying too, but she's sposed to be isn't she?

She definitely is. It's one of the things I like about the show, how unsympathetic they allow the lead to be. Just about everyone else is so nice! Got to be a deliberate choice, and works really well, especially considering that we put ourselves firmly in her shoes.

• Upvote 1

I just re-watched Oz about a month ago, because I wanted to show my boyfriend a good series.

Probably wasn't the best idea before watching this, as it made it seem a bit flimsy in comparison. Quite enjoyed it, but not a lot of depth to it. Ok to watch while you eat your tea.

• Upvote 2

I blasted through season 1 in a week a month or two ago. I was a big fan of Weeds, but I don't think is quite on the same level... yet. It has plenty of potential. The butch lesbian is my favourite character.

There is a lot of crossover actors from Weeds - Healy was also Shane's boss at the PI company in Weeds.

I was kind of blown away because every episode of season 2 is available.

It never occurred to me that this would happen - just instinctively preparing myself to watch it as a weekly series.

The future of television!

Yeah I think it's really cool that netflix does that, especially as presumably people get the free trial, or resub for a month to watch what they want and cancel again. They would presumably get more money the longer they dragged the good netflix only stuff out for.

I didn't think I would like this at all, but I crashed through series one last wek and found it utterly brilliant. It's right up there with House of Cards in my book, and the characters are far more nuanced here than in that show where they are either dead or dislikable, if also entertainingly, manipulative. Series two opened with a bit of a surprise too!