X-Rebirth - Due out November

So there is a thread already, I just posted that first vid in the Steam thread. I have no experience with the genre apart from Starfox on the SNES. Does that count? But the graphics are more than enough to make me want to play this just to look at all the pretty.

So there is a thread already, I just posted that first vid in the Steam thread. I have no experience with the genre apart from Starfox on the SNES. Does that count? But the graphics are more than enough to make me want to play this just to look at all the pretty.

It's not really anything like Starfox, as it isn't on-rails - but it is a space shooter I suppose.

Ooooo what are the earlier games like? This looks great.

The X games are like a blend of X-Wing and Elite. They vary a bit, but to give an idea, you usually start out in a small ship with a small amount of cash, and have some end-narrative goal, though you can often ignore this if you want.

You earn more money via many means, but generally they fall into the following categories:

>> You can buy cargo and sell it elsewhere. Like you might buy beef at an orbital farm and sell it at a busy residential station.

>> You can hunt down criminals.

>> You can build space stations and set up trade routes yourself, eventually making a commercial business empire.

>> You can become an outlaw yourself, preying on smaller ships.

I suppose "Skyrim in space" wouldn't be too far off - but unless they've changed since X-Tension (the last one I played) they're not about pre-written quests or complex stories - it's about emergent stuff. For example, you might build a business empire and eventually go to war with the other corporations and eventually governments, becoming some kind of super-villain - or you might focus on R&D, attempting to build the most powerful, fastest, best-armed ship in the game, and hunt down the criminal element like some kind of space Batman.

The main thing I'm curious about though is how the actual story is handled. X-Beyond The Frontier (the first one) had a very basic story, X-Tension (the expansion) had less. X-2 on the other hand had quite a bit, so I'm interested in seeing if they've taken that a bit further.

Bear in mind the X games have one other legacy; they're usually buggy as anything. Then again, you expect that in PC games of this scope.

If this has Oculus Rift support I don't think I'll ever feel the sun against my face again

posted on their forums in March by a developer:-

No promises, especially as we still don't have one in the office yet, but obviously it's something we would be interested in. It's also something that could potentially be added in a patch if we decided it wasn't possible in the initial release.

Looks like they have Oculus headsets in the office now too, so keep your fingers crossed

I bought X3 years and years ago hoping for something along the lines of Freespace or Wing Commander. I couldn't have been more wrong, and I was extremely disappointed watching rocks float past my cockpit window while the endless tutorials tried to instruct me about moving space biscuits from A to B at a snail's pace.

I think my tastes have developed enough since then that I'm less focused on more immediately-satisfying gameplay and can now appreciate the long game in what is really a massive economy simulator rather than a space combat sim. I'd like to give the X series another shot, and am really interested to see what Rebirth can offer.

I think my tastes have developed enough since then that I'm less focused on more immediately-satisfying gameplay and can now appreciate the long game in what is really a massive economy simulator rather than a space combat sim. I'd like to give the X series another shot, and am really interested to see what Rebirth can offer.

This is a personal, quite selfish thing - but I hope they've developed the story element. The reason for this is if you want a massive, space-based Excel skin then EVE Online already exists - but X can be something different and I think they should really throw their weight behind the stuff that differentiates it, like narrative content and action-based combat.

This looks absolutely amazing! I really like the vid showing off 360 controller support, it's completely sidestepped the horrible learning curve of the previous games for me and made this look instantly approachable, like some kinda crazy space Skyrim.

Amazing that you can get off your ship and run around in first person too, that already adds a whole heap of immersion you don't usually see in these games. And those space environments...my god.

Let's hope the voice acting is decent this time, it's always been an issue in this series.

Going from X3 years ago I suspect you'll need a hefty rig to play it in stunning-o-vision

Not according to the system requirements:

Minimum:

OS: Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit), Vista SP2 (64-bit), XP SP3 (64-bit)

Processor: Intel i-Series at 2GHz or AMD equivalent

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: NVidia GT400 series with 512MB RAM or better, ATI 4870HD with 512MB RAM or better

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Hard Drive: 6 GB available space

Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card

Additional Notes: These specs are still being determined

Recommended:

Processor: Intel i5 (Quad) or i7 at 2.5GHz or AMD equivalent

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Graphics: NVidia GT500 series with 1GB RAM or better, ATI 5870HD with 1GB RAM or better

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Hard Drive: 10 GB available space

Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card

Additional Notes: These specs are still being determined.

I was worried my EVGA 780 SC wouldn't cope, but it looks like I'll be more than okay.

I do hope its a bit more accessible than X3TC/AP. I own both of those but honestly i just have no idea whats going on in them.

Good news! reading here and there about this game it seems like X Rebirth is sorta like a reboot. They're aiming to offer the same complexity, but make playing the game less complicated. A good step in that direction (and for future Oculus Rift support I think) is the way the game can be controlled with a 360 controller. Playing X Rebirth from the comfy couch is GO:

Also, they clarify that they will of course support joysticks and that the control scheme shown in this vid is fully customizable. It all looks rather brilliant.

Why can't I pre-order yet! The Steam store page is up, I keep throwing money at it but it won't let me actually give it to them :(

I need to buy a flight stick. Should I cancel my next-gen console pre-order? Buy a flight stick instead :unsure:

• 2 months later...