IGNORED

Artemis Fowl (Artemis Foul)

JohnC

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-harvey-weinstein-teaming-up-594999

Disney and Harvey Weinstein bury the hatchet to make a live-action movie based on the first two of the popular Artemis Fowl books. Screenplay by Michael Goldenberg, who wrote Contact, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and, er, Green Lantern...

Seemed like this had been coming forever, but I see it sort of got shelved in the Weinstein split from Disney.

• 4 years later...

Hadn't heard anything on this for, well, nearly 5 years. I guess Harvey is out now, but the movie is starting production. It's even got a release date of 9 August 2019.

It's being directed and produced by Kenneth Branagh and will film in England, Northern Ireland and Ho Chi Minh City.

The full cast has also been announced, with newcomer Ferdia Shaw playing the title character, Lara McDonnell as Captain Holly Short (the fairy Artemis kidnaps), Dame Judi Dench as Commander Root (leader of the fairy police force, LEPrecon), and Josh Gad playing Mulch Diggums (a kleptomaniac dwarf).

Other members of the stellar cast include Nonso Anozie playing Butler (the Fowl family bodyguard), Tamara Smart as Juliet (Butler's niece in this adaptation), Miranda Raison as Angeline Fowl (Artemis's mother) and Nikesh Patel as Foaly (a genius Centaur working for the LEP).

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Proper trailer. Not read the books, but I'm seeing some criticism about the main character. Specifically that he's being introduced to this world where in the books he's already a criminal mastermind in this world, or something.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was wondering if my kids might fancy this for movie night but just saw the reviews and have been put off. Critics are sometimes wide of the mark I suppose and my youngest thinks Home Alone 3(!) is the best one in the series so maybe we’ll give it a go.

So we watched it last night and I have to say it really isn’t as bad as the reviews make out; the overall design and style looks very high budget, the cast is really good and even the child actors are OK (not sure if the guy playing Artemis was great, but he did the job, the girl playing Holly was really good). I think the three main issues for adults are:

a) it’s still a bit derivative with clearly influences from Harry Potter but then, that’s probably down to the source material being clearly influenced by... Harry Potter

b) when you get down to it, the original story isn’t all that interesting. Again, it’s a problem with the source material and it probably explains why it took years for the film to be made

c) this is really a kids film, it really isn’t suited as a multi-generation film that’s going to appease adults (mainly because of the two issues above).  It’s still watchable for adults, but probably not if you don’t have kids to watch it with you.

There’s a lot worse films out there and it’s still miles above the majority of Netflix original films, it’s a decent way to spend 90 minutes or so.

But my son loved it and that’s the main thing, I guess. It’s a shame it’s been dumped like this because there’s clearly been a decent amount of money and talent gone into it (I didn’t realise it was directed by Kenneth Branagh!!). It might end up as one of those films that grown up kids talk about in 20-30 years time, like Flash Gordon which was originally seen as shite by the critics but everyone who watched it as a kid knows it is the second greatest film of all time (after Highlander). 

My lad has the graphic novel of the first book which is brilliant.  And paints a much more interesting and diverse world than we get here.  I thought it was pretty dull and it didn't really hold my kids' interest.  Shame really.

This is a mess, but it’s got real heart and two amazing performances from the young leads. 

I think there’s a slightly longer, slightly better cut out there. Shame the action scenes are a bit of a mess, Branagh has none of the flair for action he showed in Thor and Shadow Recruit.

I worked on this and I’m fascinated to see what actually made it in. As I understand there’s several major scenes, from even the most recent trailer, that aren’t in the finished film. It was supposed to launch a franchise and the sets were built as such, but it was obvious that wasn’t going to happen after it got pushed back a year.