rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

The Great British Bake Off

She did adress it, but only whilst she was doing it. Loads of time she was saying "I should probably be focusing on the cake/biscuits/whatever" whilst fannying on with ott decorations. She just didn't act on it, even after Mary and Paul told her to focus more on the main element.

• Upvote 1

Being aware of what she should be doing isn't addressing it, it is merely acknowledging it. She continued to faff around right up to the last as we all saw.

Definitely the right winner (not just on the final weekend but over the series, which is often not the case), but I'll be honest, I thought all of the showstoppers were very lacklustre. Tamal's just looked far too haphazard and, frankly, a bit messy and both Ian and Nadiya's look rather dull. Nadiya's look far too sterile (though the flowers looked fantastic) and Ian's just lacked any real pizzaz (though the long carrot across the top was a good touch.) They all had put up much better stuff in the previous weeks so it didn't feel as extravagant as the situation demanded.

But yeah, it was lovely to see Nadiya's talent just explode over the weeks and as I said last week, she really did put out superb stuff (I can still picture that beautiful peacock tail.) And whilst being humble is a trait I love about most Bake-Off contestants, she was really humble and yet so full of talent. It was actually a shame to see that, as of the little end-of-series montage, she hadn't as yet gone on to other things (unlike probably half of the other contestants).

Anyway, I love Bake-Off and already am excited about Series 7!

The right person won for once. It was hard not to end up wanting her to win, just due to the constant look of fear/verge of having a breakdown look she had on her face most of the time.

I really liked Nadiya's show stopper. It looked elegant. Tamal's was a bit messy, but looked interesting. Ian's on the other hand looked like it had been assembled by a 10 year old!

The two highlights for me were Nadiya's "everything ok Paul" retort and Sue's "no, no" when answering her own question to Ian if he motored! :lol:

It always looked like she was going to win even when she wasn't doing well. You can't put all those emotional shots of her in the programme and not have her come out on top to someone like Ian.

But she still won on merit in the end.

True but part of the joy of seeing her win was the fact that she went from a bundle of nerves and no confidence to having utter balls of steel in the final. The Nadiya of week 2 would never have back-chatted Paul like that. That she was clearly so talented and nice was a bonus.

Surprised the other two went to pieces. Especially Ian, who clearly wanted to win all the way through. He knew he'd blown it. (Though I can't hate him too much when he broke down at the end, the stress is so enormous.)

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/mar/16/noel-fielding-and-sandi-toksvig-to-host-new-great-british-bake-off

The departure of Mel and Sue put the nation’s bakers in a spin. Now Channel 4 is banking on another double act to appease them: Sandi and Noel.

The comedian Noel Fielding, best known for The Mighty Boosh, and Sandi Toksvig, the panel show stalwart and QI host, have been announced as the replacements for Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins, who left the show after its move from the BBC.

As had been widely rumoured, the cookery writer and presenter Prue Leith will step into Mary Berry’s shoes as a judge, working alongside Paul Hollywood, who was the only member of the original team to move channels with the show for its eighth season.

Very very odd choices - but in some respects they're going "different" rather than trying to directly copy what came before.

2 hours ago, englishbob said:

Peoples outrage at Noel Fielding, fucking morons

Why?

The guy has been fairly shit ever since the Mighty Boosh ended and even that was pretty awful by the end of it.

• Upvote 1

Fielding works best on the spur of the moment stuff, so is ideal here. Provided he stops shaking/playing with his hair over the food.

Boosh first series was fantastic, and then it got worse. I put that down to having more money and trying too hard when the second series hit. The charm of the first is that it was very low budget.

Shit is a bit strong. He is no Phil Jupitas

I agree with @englishbob, when he has to think on the spur of the moment hes rather very good. Well at least from the panel shows I've seen him on anyway,#

What it does show though is that C4 are taking this show in a VERY different direction, one that I don't think a lot of the regular Bake Off fans will like. GBBO is quintessentially British, Noel Fielding isn't

My aunty and uncle know a guy through the Somerset village bakeing/jam + chutney competition circuit who got to the final cut 2 series ago i think. And the producers asked him if he was gay and he said "no" then asked him to maybe act abit gay to sort of imply it and he said  "im married with kids" and so he got dropped.

He seems to be pretty funny from what I've seen of him, if occasionally overtly obscure for the hell of it but panel shows are very rarely 'spur of the moment' these days, they're often rehearsed a load and often they're given the questions  or topic before hand so they can come up with jokes.

So anyone watch? I think keeping exactly the same format was the right move but Prue is certainly no Mary Berry, I dont really like her the much.

Noel and Sandy were good but not as fun as Mel and Sue.

The Watermelon and BLT cakes were amazing. 

IMG_20170829_215055.jpg

• Upvote 1

Very impressed by the illusion cakes, glad they're stepping it up again with something like that again - the last few series felt a bit safe in terms of cake presentation compared to some of the crazy shit they did earlier on (the barn always sticks in my mind).

Was surprised by just how on format it was.  It was like the new Mel & Sue were just handed their scripts and set loose.

I'll watch more, but not live.  Far too many ad breaks.

14 hours ago, Stigweard said:

So anyone watch? I think keeping exactly the same format was the right move but Prue is certainly no Mary Berry, I dont really like her the much.

Noel and Sandy were good but not as fun as Mel and Sue.

The Watermelon and BLT cakes were amazing. 

Agreed. Some moments had M&S written all over them but we were left with a nervous giggle instead. Noel and Sandy I like anyway and they were "inoffensive". I think it's going to be a decent series but won't repeat the latter day hype of the original

It's more of the same but just a bit lacking in places - the main thing that's grating to me is Feilding's voiceover bits - just feels like he's reading from a script unlike Toksvig who is a lot more natural. 

Pru Leith is also no Mary Berry but hopefully it'll all settle as the series goes on. 

Scouse nan is officially called Vera Duckworth in our house. 

• Upvote 2

I just watched it on +1 and thought it was rather good. Not quite right, but definitely not too far off. It's kind of odd hearing Noel Fielding sounding a bit timid, but perhaps he's just trying to rein in his natural weirdness. I reckon with a couple of episodes under his belt he'll probably have found a good place to be. Sandi was just fine. Prue's got perhaps the toughest job, because she'll never be Mary Berry, and that's what she'll be judged on. I think she's doing a good enough job being herself though, and folk will probably warm to her.

That showstopper round was a belter though. I didn't think anything would top the watermelon (although as much as I like watermelon, the idea of a cake flavoured with it sounds a bit icky to me), but the loaf and sandwich was just magnificent.

Will probably record and skip the adverts in future though too.

Fools complaining about the ad breaks. It’s the perfect opportunity to nip to the kitchen for another cuppa and biscuit/slice of cake. 

40 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I'm very happy with the new Bake Off. Noel and Sandi are great. Some genuine laugh out loud moments. They just work together. 

Scouse Nan for the win. 

I like the Scouse Nan, the boy likes the Wool from Knowsley though as that is round the corner from where he used to live.

I thought it was even better than before, but then I love Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig. Not that I didn't like Mel and Sue.

Its just such a lovely, life-affirming programme. Only now it has Noel Fielding saying "It tastes like a clown's nose". :)

• Upvote 4

I liked it, and was surprised at how good Noel Fielding's voice over work is.  Such a relaxing voice, I'd love to hear him do some audio books.

We were guessing which female contestant Paul Hollywood will be letching over this series.  At first I thought the Russian woman, but she's too fucking needy.  It'll be the brunette.