The Great British Bake Off

Is Dave more or less smug than last year’s Smugbot 3000, David?

Thought Matt Lucas did okay first ep, but after watching ep two feels like he’s trying a bit too hard. A few too many ‘look at me!’ moments when it would be nice for him to have more rapport with the contestants.

He’d best turn out to be amazing at some point because right now his inability to do anything in the time (and I mean he admits to never doing the practices in the time) just doesn’t actually make for interesting viewing (which is all I actually care about - not the people).

On 01/10/2020 at 17:47, Professor Rob said:

That’s two weeks in a row now that people have been sent home when others were quite clearly worse.

Really? I'd have said Rowan was by far the worst today in at least two of the challenges if not all three of them. 

Last week If have preferred him going rather than Mak (although tbh I don't think Mak was destined to last that long).

Who do you think was worse? Hermine? Dave? (Hermine's voice is a tiny bit grating to me so tbh wouldn't be sad to see her leave).

The right one gone this week, at least a week late unfortunately.

Not sure how this series is going thus far really - there's thankfully not an insufferably smug bastard showing off every week like last year but equally I don't think there's anyone particularly brilliant either.

• 1 month later...

Up to the semi-finals now and, without wishing to sound unkind because they could probably all still bake well (ha!) outside the tent, this is the weakest final four in a while, isn’t it?

Hermine has produced some good showstoppers, but everyone is struggling in the technicals. Can’t recall a proper wow bake this series, and the presentation of the dishes feels lower in standard.

Maybe it’s the time of filming, maybe it’s an unwanted affect of lockdown with not all original applicants wanting to isolate for the competition. Just feels like a bit of a b-side series at times.

Lucas and Fielding are arse achingly unfunny and just seem to make everyone a bit uncomfortable. They seem to have been parachuted in from a very different, much worse programme. Feels like a teacher has let the two precocious kids do their own thing for a serious history project because it's a way to get them to shut up for a bit.

39 minutes ago, glb said:

Up to the semi-finals now and, without wishing to sound unkind because they could probably all still bake well (ha!) outside the tent, this is the weakest final four in a while, isn’t it?

Hermine has produced some good showstoppers, but everyone is struggling in the technicals. Can’t recall a proper wow bake this series, and the presentation of the dishes feels lower in standard.

Maybe it’s the time of filming, maybe it’s an unwanted affect of lockdown with not all original applicants wanting to isolate for the competition. Just feels like a bit of a b-side series at times.

I think they've cut the baking times in the hope it produces disasters and tears. The producers fundamentally don't understand what people liked about the series. -people who are good at something doing it well. They seem to think these days that it should be like Nailed It.

The dipshits.

I think that’s exactly it. It’s like Come Dine With Me where they changed the focus to ker-azy characters rather than just a few interesting people calmly making tea for each other. I could watch that for hours.

In an attempt to manufacture drama they’ve made most of the challenges a complete fools errand. They’re either way too complicated or they obviously don’t have enough time. About 80% of the finished dishes look like they’ve been served with a hammer. I was transfixed with the jellies they did as they looked amazing and they all broadly did it. My partner was watching some ancient ones on repeat recently and it’s like a different show. Watching a housewife staring into oven having an existential crisis over a sponge isn’t great to watch. 

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

I think that’s exactly it. It’s like Come Dine With Me where they changed the focus to ker-azy characters rather than just a few interesting people calmly making tea for each other. I could watch that for hours.

In an attempt to manufacture drama they’ve made most of the challenges a complete fools errand. They’re either way too complicated or they obviously don’t have enough time. About 80% of the finished dishes look like they’ve been served with a hammer. I was transfixed with the jellies they did as they looked amazing and they all broadly did it. My partner was watching some ancient ones on repeat recently and it’s like a different show. Watching a housewife staring into oven having an existential crisis over a sponge isn’t great to watch. 

100% agree. Common denominator?

Channel 4.

Didn’t realise about the shortened bake times. Would much rather see people doing things well, especially amateurs that might get a life-changing break as a result of impressing in the competition.

Bake-Off appealed because its friendly competition with a camaraderie that is absent from many other shows. In previous series there have been several bakes where I’ve thought, ‘that looks good, I’ll have a go at that’ whereas this time around it’s lacking such inspiration because the end results are being compromised before they’ve started.

Have to agree here, in the technicals they've been set up to fail either with the timings or the instructions.

The key thing thing with last week's pudding was that the lemon needs to cook, they just didn't have the time to stream it properly.

Matt Lucas is awful.

the shows every year in a tent with no air conditioning where they are expected to temper chocolate or make ice cream drive me mad - as you're all saying above its not set up to see who is the best, but who can handle the entirely inappropriate conditions for the challenge at hand, which isn't really the point of it. If it were some challenge show for army cooks then fine, but its not.

making ice cream in 35c heat then being laughed at by a sneering Hollywood cos it's melting is a shitty thing to do to them.

The jelly art cakes looked good, checking through YouTube there are some serious artists out there. Need to find someone selling those in London.

I think all reality style shows have had a massive dip in quality of participants, as mentioned up thread they seem to ignore actual quality and just go for characters.

At least they didn’t do a sky history and get a neo-nazi on.