rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Wiper

The Greatest PC Games of All Time

As a spin off from a discussion in the Steam thread, relating to how Skyrim is rubbish and anyone who would rate it particularly highly is a big doodie-head, I have created this thread so that we can consult the forum hivemind and come up with a list of the greatest PC games of all time.

Simple rules: this is a top 10 list, with number 1 being the greatest PC game of all time, and number 10 being the 10th greatest PC game of all time, in your opinion. Clearly the games have to be games released on PC - whether exclusives or multiplatform releases doesn't matter, so long as you consider the PC version to actually be worthy of placing in your top 10 - particularly shitty adaptations like Saints Row II will probably suffer due to this.

August 9th is the cut-off point from which I'll start to collect the results, and aim to completely ignore them and put in my own favourites have them published on the 12th. Simple weighting will be applied - 1 point for 10th, 10 points for first, etc., so a game being given 1st place once is worth ten 10th place spots.

Right, that's all the preamble done. Get to it!

A note on franchises: Games will be considered individually, except for annually-released sports franchises. So, FIFA, Champ/Football Manager,* Madden, Pro Evo - any votes for a game in this franchise is a vote for the franchise. There's no point filling your list with Fifa games, as I'll only count one.

*I'm assuming nobody's about to vote for the post-split Championship Manager, here

• Upvote 4

Based on time played more than anything (and ignoring WoW)

Football Manager 2013
Football Manager 2012
Football Manager 2011
Football Manager 2010
Football Manager 2009
Football Manager 2008
Football Manager 2007
Football Manager 2006
Football Manager 2005

Championship Manager 03/04

:lol:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

STALKER SoC

Crysis

HL2

Battlefield Vietnam

Grim Fandango

Day of Defeat Source

Killing Floor

can we put in multi platform titles? Cause I wanna stick Dark Souls in there. PC version is the definitive version.

Also I play too many FPSes

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 - Monkey Island 2

2 - Monkey Island

3 - Day of the Tentacle

4 - Grim Fandango

5 - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

6 - Sam and Max

7 - Full Throttle

8 - Championship Manager 2

9 - Duke Nukem 3D

10 - Half Life

Guess what platform I haven't really played any games on in about 15 years

• Upvote 7

1. Grim Fandango - I am at heart in love with stories and Grim Fandango is story made perfect, with a damn good adventure game to go along with it. If it was made nowadays it'd be something more like The Walking Dead, I imagine, without so much puzzle in it, and I may even enjoy it all the more in such a form, but even as it is, I will always love it. Probably overdue a replay by this time - I haven't played it in a few years.

2. Dota 2 - Fuckin deal with it.

3. Company of Heroes - The best real-time strategy game. Genre-defining with tons of character.

4. Alpha Centauri - The best Civilization game. Miles better than the 'proper' Civilizations and strangely it's one of the best-written games around too, managing to sneak a compelling story into the grand strategy game that it is.

5. The Walking Dead - Yep.

6. Age of Empires 2 - Another definitive RTS game. Still holds up very well and it devoured years of my life.

7. Battlefield 2 - The first game I played heavily online. Never equalled by subsequent Battlefields, although Bad Company 2 came close in a few aspects.

8. Thief 2 - Stealth gaming perfection.

9. Deus Ex - Nothing I can really say about this. Everything after Hong Kong gets steadily worse but even so I love this game.

10. Little Big Adventure 2 - Absolute classic. Off its nut and endlessly inventive. Probably the game that made me think 'hey games can actually do some really unique shit' when I played it at the age of 10.

A strategy-heavy list but one I'll stand by, happily.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1. Thief 2: The Metal Age

2. Planescape: Torment

3. The Witcher

4. Hitman: Blood Money

5. Vampire: Bloodlines - The Masquerade

6. Divine Divinity

7. The Elder Srolls III: Morrowind

8. Outcast

9. Stalker: Call of Pripyat

10. System Shock 2

Now that I actually took some time to think about it, my top ten PC games of all time is, uhm, very much the same as the one I posted in the Steam thread. I had to take out two games of course. Titan Quest and Shadow of Chernobyl would have been numbers 11 and 12 respectively.

That there top five I posted is some of the best gaming you can get on any platform and it would also be my multiplatform top 5 games of all time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1. Half-Life 2

Half-Life 2 Episode 2

Half-Life

Half-Life Blue Shift

Half-Life Episode 1

Half-Life 2 Gold Coast

Half-Life Opposing Force

Half-Life 2 Deathmatch

Half-Life 1 Source

Half-Life 1 Deathmatch

• Upvote 5

Can I vote for a series instead of a specific game? It seems pointless chosing the best Championship/Football Manager or Civ really.

That's a bit of a difficult one - most series it makes sense to distinguish (I'd argue Civ for this - V and III are a bit divisive, while IV and II have their fans, and then there's releases like Colonization and Revolution to change things up further), but others - like FIFA, and perhaps Champ Man, would be more difficult to do that with what with them having a bazillion releases.

As a compromise: any annually-released sports franchise will be considered as a single, 'franchise' title (and can only be counted once per voter). Any other series' titles are considered individually.

can we put in multi platform titles? Cause I wanna stick Dark Souls in there. PC version is the definitive version.

*ahem*

Clearly the games have to be games released on PC - whether exclusives or multiplatform releases doesn't matter, so long as you consider the PC version to actually be worthy of placing in your top 10

(that's a yes)

A good few of the ones on Gerbik's list should probably be on mine too if I could have detached my brain from thinking about strategy games for two seconds. Thief 2 and System Shock 2 for sure. Maybe Blood Money.

Nothing stopping you editing your list!

Note that he still hasn't got System Shock 2 on his list! How dare he!

Don't worry, I'm not counting anyone who doesn't include System Shock 2 votes. So far, it's going to be a pretty easy job to count up!

• Upvote 1

I was a mega pc fan until BF2, i freaking loved BF2 and had a machine just to play it!

My real list would be;

Counterstrike

Half life 2

Transport tycoon

Grand prix 3

GP legends

Unreal tournament

BF1942

Medal of honour - mp with friends was amazing but i forget what one it was, had a church level for mp?

Premier manager - sure they were called something like that, maybe it was champ manager?

BF2

I think i liked FPS and Driving sims on the pc!

It's a tricky one, for example I've got great memories of TIE Fighter, but has it aged? What was it, 640x480? Some things still look and play great, but I've ruined enough memories on other platforms to wonder whether to go back. And without going back, I don't think it'd be fair to base a list just on nostalgia.

1. Deus Ex

2. Fallout 1

3. World of Warcraft

4. Oblivion

5. Arkham City

6. Medal of Honor - Allied Assault

7. Little Big Adventure

8. System Shock 2

9. Battlefield 2

10. Lord of the Rings Online

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually, that's what I'd like on Steam as one of the columns in the list view - original release date, or something. I guess it's a bit harder than the same in MAME with re-releases, differing editions, packages and so on. Plus the oldest PC game I have in there is Half-Life.

1. Deus Ex

2. Fallout 1

3. World of Warcraft

4. Oblivion

5. Arkham City

6. Medal of Honor - Allied Assault

7. Little Big Adventure

8. System Shock 2

9. Battlefield 2

10. Lord of the Rings Online

I think System Shock 2 looked better with the 8) infront of it ;)

• Upvote 1

1. Day of the Tentacle
2. Half-Life 2
3. Grim Fandango
4. Sim City 2000
5. Quake III Arena
6. X-Wing
7. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
8. Command & Conquer: Red Alert
9. Doom II
10. Commandos

1. Lord of the Rings Online