Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (Official Server: Moogle)

mercenarri

Just did a run of Copperbell. Good tank and healer. Utterly retarded archer who no matter how many times he was told insisted on pulling every single pack. It wasn't like he couldn't take direction either. I managed to get him under control during the blob fight and the final boss. I guess some people are just special.

Wasn't Flix Biscuit or something like that was it?

Me, Sie and Bert Macklin (St Hubbins?) had an archer just like that in the first dungeon earlier. We let him die after he kept doing it and then he kind of learnt his lesson and held back a bit for the rest. It was really annoying at first but I think it was his first dungeon and we had to explain the numbering of mobs etc. Worked out fine in the end!

Wasn't Flix Biscuit or something like that was it?

Me, Sie and Bert Macklin (St Hubbins?) had an archer just like that in the first dungeon earlier. We let him die after he kept doing it and then he kind of learnt his lesson and held back a bit for the rest. It was really annoying at first but I think it was his first dungeon and we had to explain the numbering of mobs etc. Worked out fine in the end!

Skiz Biscuit was his name. He was an arse. We advised him on what to do after he just steamed ahead, pulling every pack he could thinking he could take them solo. We were told "suck my dick and play the game". We let him die to one of his dumb arse pulls - "heal me?" he demanded. We laughed and didn't res him. I asked him if he was playing the PS3 version - he said yes. It explained everything. Fucking CoD muppet's first MMO.

Why do archer/hunter/ranger classes in MMOs always seem to attract the biggest arseholes?

Because they tend to be quite easy to play and therefore are a load more of them so chances are you are going to group with them more than any other class and therefore increasing the chances you are going to meet an arse! Dunno how many BRDs I have been paired with when using the DF. It's why I levelled MNK. :D

This guy was called Wyatt Hellfire or something and it definitely wasn't his first dungeon. He was wearing loot from one of the others. One thing I've noticed when I've been running dungeons as an archer myself is how easy it can be to take aggro from the tank sometimes if I'm not paying attention. Of course I don't try to pull for the tank either.

Once I open up summoner I might level to scholar and try healing

Here's the list from Reddit

Bard = 30 Archer / 15 Pugilist
Summoner = 30 Arcanist / 15 Thaumaturge
Scholar = 30 Arcanist / 15 Conjurer
Dragoon = 30 Lancer / 15 Marauder
Black Mage = 30 Thaumaturge / 15 Archer
White Mage = 30 Conjurer / 15 Arcanist
Monk = 30 Pugilist / 15 Lancer
Warrior = 30 Marauder / 15 Gladiator
Paladin = 30 Gladiator / 15 Conjurer

Re. your tanking discussion Sharky, I was doing a pug SV group yesterday (I swear, I must be either a masochist or mentally retarded) and the tank, he wasn't a bad tank per sec, but he'd pull a mob with the jumping in the air and a line shoots out and hits the mob (I'm assuming it was flash?) and start hitting it. Problem is, he never took charge of the other mob (when I've seen sharky tank he pulls one mob with a taunt or something and then starts hitting the other one so he has aggro on them both) so the very second I start healing him, I was guaranteed to pull the other mob, because healing in this game generates crazy aggro.

I did try telling him this but it didn't seem to register and surprise, we didn't complete the dungeon :(

The lamentations of Archers is justified but I've found Lancers/Dragoons to be almost universally crap too. They're so obsessed with hitting large numbers that on fights that require movement and positioning, they just let the strat wash over them and do whatever they please; which is odd, because Monks seems to listen and they require proper positioning to get big numbers too.

I have a question for ACN / SMNs out there. Playing as DoT classes in other MMOs my job would be to DoT up all enemies that we pull and then focus my larger casts on the 1st marked mob until it was dead / refresh DoTs if necessary then cast on 2, etc, etc.

Is that the same play style for ACN / SMN? Or should one just focus all attacks as per the sequence of marks?

DOT one mob up with all your poison/disease/miasma and then cast Bane, which spreads the DOTs to nearby enemies. SMN also gets a skill later on (40ish) that hits the mob cumulatively for each poison/disease/miasma DOT on it (Infect I think it's called) but you need to be under Aetherflow to use it, same as you do for Bane.

Otherwise you just do as you would do normally.

My method for tanking is pretty simple, really. I shield lob the priority target to initiate the pull, which usually gets that one running at you. I then use fast blade and, if I have time, savage attack. By this time the rest of the pack as arrived so I drop a flash and then fast attack/savage attack the priority again. Then I gradually tab target between the mobs using that combo on them and throwing out the occasional flash to keep 'em interested. If one happens to run off, it gets a shield lob up the arse and then, once you've got it, provoke. I then run to it and smack it a few times to get it back.

You will only ever lose aggro to a competent tank in one of three situations, ideally (though things can and do go wrong!):

- You attack the wrong target

- You AOE the shite out of everything (*ahem* Spork!)

- The tank is busy dealing with either of the above

Single target, you'd have to work really, really hard to pull aggro from a good tank. Tanking abilities have built in threat modifiers, y'see. It's how devs balance them for pvp - if a tank had amazing damage AND their survivability, they'd be unstoppable, so instead of doing good damage, their attacks generate extra threat- different attacks generate different levels of threat and that's how you know what to use and when, generally speaking. A good tank will know their rotation but also how/when to react to new situations. For a tank, the challenge should come from knowing encounters, leading the group (usually), tactics and positioning as well as knowing what they and the group can or can't handle. It should not be a constant fight for aggro with the dps - that is not fun at all as a tank, unless you're doing if for a laugh with your group.

With regards to knowing your group; when I tank for people I know and group with regularly (Spork, Rikku, Top-cat, who I've been dungeon-running with for a couple of years in various mmos now), I am far more reckless and careless, often running off and engaging the next pack whilst the guys finish off the last one. I'll pull extra mobs, or try daft tactics, or try to 2-3 man dungeons etc with them. I know if we get adds we can handle it because those three are excellent healers in particular, but also great as dps, and I know they have my back. I know if one of them pulls (SPORK), he can deal with it for a minute without panicking. Sometimes I'll even let it slap him around a bit for a laugh (unless he's healing, because then it means he has to stop healing me!). This is my favourite part of mmos by far - I just love the thrill of running new dungeons or doing daft stuff for lols with mates.

On the other hand, if I'm tanking for a pug, I'm a lot more slow and cautious, doing things by the numbers and taking my time to mark pulls, line of sight pull and just generally being a lot more careful (and boring!).

Doing a dungeon with a good team is the best feeling in the game. When stuff just works and just happens and you smash it, even when things go south...there is just nothing like it. And that is why I love tanking. I find it really hard to let other people tank for me unless I know them because I sit there the whole time going 'they did that wrong' or 'I would have done that differently'. It's only when I know they're good that I'll stop worrying and just smash face (and, admittedly, try to pull aggro as much as possible for a laugh).

And Sprite: sorry I didn't see you - I was afk pretty much 90% of yesterday! :(

Any aspiring tank should read that and take notes.

I had to tell Deef to take more than one mob at a time in ST yesterday as it was boring as Hell for me. Eos was pretty much healing him on her own and I was sat twiddling my thumbs. He did comment that was going to switch to Kelsten mode :D

Just in case there's any interest, I have a spare PC key I'm looking to sell - £14 and I'll pm it to you, £15 and I'll post the box as well (the manual is crap).

Tempted by this, but wanted to ask anyone here who can help. I can't get on to Moogle server if I try and play the game at the moment can I?

Fuck it...I'll take it (including the box please) Pm on its way.

Yay, more undergarments for Spork to wear inappropriately :D

You say that Kel, I jumped into a semi-private pool in Camp Bronze Lake yesterday, and it had five Mi'qote?ladies in it when one said "what's the matter, not man enough for five of us?"

I cannot imagine a western dev putting something like that in an MMO.

I'm sure if I wade back through this thread I'll get the answer but, having downloaded the PS3 beta version last month but not then getting a confirming code by email to validate my ID, I tried to go live again last night only to find that the full game isn't available by download. So presumablyI have to buy a disc copy then?

I'm sure if I wade back through this thread I'll get the answer but, having downloaded the PS3 beta version last month but not then getting a confirming code by email to validate my ID, I tried to go live again last night only to find that the full game isn't available by download. So presumablyI have to buy a disc copy then?

Yup. Square have requested all digital downloads of the game be removed from sale until further notice. There's yet another datacentre upgrade to come so perhaps we might see the game become available digitally around that time.

Seems SE have confirmed that PS3 owners will be able to play the PS4 version for free - no repurchase is necessary.

Those currently playing the PS3 version of the fantasy MMO will not have to re-buy the game on PS4, Square Enix said, and will be able to transition to playing on the next-gen console at no additional cost. You'll also be able to carry over your character data and continue playing on PS4.

A beta test for the PS4 version begins on Saturday, 22nd February 2014 - the day the PS4 goes on sale in Japan.