Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (Official Server: Moogle)

mercenarri

Shouldn't teaming up with Rllmukers be the best way to avoid random bumholes?

By the way, I'd fancy playing this with a controller. I hear the controller's great for it, but I've also no intention of speaking to anyone via mic or using a keyboard as my gaming PC's pretty anti K&M friendly. Still possible to have a good time playing the game under that situation?

I've had to spend the week away from this but will be needing to do my first story dungeon run over the weekend if anyone's available to help.

Be warned I'm an inexperienced Conjurer who has an occasional tendency to forget to heal people! ;)

Yep, of course - Clem and I are more than happy to help if we're on at the same time.

Shouldn't teaming up with Rllmukers be the best way to avoid random bumholes?

By the way, I'd fancy playing this with a controller. I hear the controller's great for it, but I've also no intention of speaking to anyone via mic or using a keyboard as my gaming PC's pretty anti K&M friendly. Still possible to have a good time playing the game under that situation?

I'd say no. Most of the fun I have from this is linkshell chat (with rllmukers!) about all sorts of stuff, talking to ransoms in parties, saying a simple thank you to someone who cast a quick cure as they ran by or raised you after stomping over your corpse.

And when you're in a group, you can't say hello! Or thanks! You can't ask what the boss tactics are, it how to do something, or respond to questions. This seems a bit quieter in party chat than FFXI was but it also moves about 50 times faster. Or if someone asks you if you want to join then for a dungeon run, you do of course! But how do you tell them?

I imagine it would be a frustrating experience all round. But then I am a big old chatter box.

Hmm actually Kayin you could maybe use the auto translate feature for simple stuff like hello, yes, no, I don't understand etc. You'd have to select it from a menu though if you really don't want to type. If you type the first couple of letters and hit tab it'll come up with a list of terms that start with them. That might be less trouble than proper typing.

Is there any way I can check this out for a bit without spending money straight away? I want to give it a try but I'm not ready to hand over cash given the history of FF MMOs.

Not at the moment. There was an open beta a couple of weeks back but right now it's generally been on lockdown due to the number of people who want to play.

Simon Parkin wrote a really good piece about this game for Eurogamer.

very good. i got raise last night. i ran past somebody dead, as you do, then realised i had it, came back and brought them back to life. felt good.

i do like healing people as i wander around, but i dont get anything for it do i? no experience? because i feel sorry for the chick in the conjurer story. she's totally right. just wandering around helping people is great.

yesterday while killing fireflies for my hunting log, another conjurer cast some protection thing on me that was much better than the one i had available. so i went straight over to the corrupted pond water thingy i died at before and battered it!

Just quit my first - and hopefully last - DF group. Tank was doing the best he could but the Dragoon and SUmmoner were awful. Pulling every add available with the tank trying his hardest to keep aggro but having no chance and me ending up getting it because I'm having to spam like a bastard to keep everyone up and creating absolute heaps of enmity.

I tried talking in chat asking why we were pulling so many adds (the politest way I could think of doing it without calling the dps idiots) but met with stony silence. So after one pull gone wrong too many, I did the cowardly thing when faced with a majority bad group; I left :(

If the tank or someone else doesn't mark, the first thing I do in a dungeon is make the tank my focus target. Shift and F on the tank does this. At least that way I can see what the tank is targeting quickly and select the same target. :)

Don't worry scruffy. Have done the same thing. I am starting to wonder though, was in a group with my colleague and Spork the other day. He just charged a group of mobs. Like ran right in to them when the tank went in another direction. I told him to wait for the tank and he did. But chatting to him in work the next day I laughed and asked why he had done it. He said that every single group he had been in, randoms, that's what people did. They all just did their own thing! I'm thinking that if people are doing that from low levels then it's why we are seeing such bad groups at higher levels as well. It's no wonder people are struggling with the more complex strategies!

I'll be up for another go at SV with you though. Just give me a shout!

It was just a bit of a culture shock tuts. It was the second, full pug grp I've done in this (first all pug was in SV too and that went really well. Tank asking what to do and doing a good job despite admitting he was wearing level 31 gear from Brayflox still!) and I've ran pug groups in numerous other MMOs and that was the first time I just quit a group, because I could only see wipe after wipe happening. Makes me feel dirty.

I'm always up for some SV runs. Pretty straight forward dungeon and you can get some nice stuff in there (and some shite, shite crafting stuff too!) but Kel should be coming up to doing Brayflox soon so need to heal him through that as well :)

Was there any truth to what that monk said the other night about clearing all the enemies in the halls before opening the chests for better loot?

I got my nice bow from one of them! But do need other stuff as well. Just about to start adventuring on my BRD again, had enough of grinding for the past few days. It has paid off though as I have my Monk now!

If the tank or someone else doesn't mark, the first thing I do in a dungeon is make the tank my focus target. Shift and F on the tank does this. At least that way I can see what the tank is targeting quickly and select the same target. :)

The only problem with this approach is that the tank may tab target a lot to maintain threat on the individual mobs. I'm rarely targeting the same mob for more than a few seconds before I switch again.

Yes, but I stick to the first target he hits. The one he initially pulls a pack with, I wait for the first flash / overpower and then go.

Then for my second target I just go with whatever the tank has targeted when the first one dies. I don't switch every time the tank does. That would be silly.

That should work well. One assumes the tank tries to build the most hate/aggro against the number 1 target, so attacking anything else risks it coming for you :-)

I had my first Satasha run today with the company, thanks guys for that it was aces! As a healer you also generate aggro/hate. I'm loosely comparing my first experience with years of WoW healing but it seemed similar. If you heal a lot of health, stuff comes for you. From what I could see overhealing (ie healing for more than was needed) wasn't so bad. It was very well balanced anyway for me, I only pulled aggro when I expected to. On one occasion I got too close to another little group (duh), and another was an archer enemy who had been mostly left alone but when I healed he went for me. :-)

Yeah, that's the right thing to do. :) When there are numbered targets, you attack them in the numbered sequence. 1, 2 and then 3. If there are three mobs and only 2 are marked then its usually 1, 2 and then the unmarked mob. Sometimes THMs will sleep a target and they will pop a red circle on it meaning for you to ignore it until last. (Which I pop on Hemlock when he disses my dps - yeah that's right I'mma ignore you!)

I think the issue with pugs in this is that the first handful of dungeons are all fairly straight forward, getting slightly more challenging and then BAM! Sunken Temple makes you have to pay attention.

Saying that, me and deefs went in with 2 random DPS last night. Neither of them had done it before. We beat the first boss first time and then me and deefy both said at the same time that we hasn't been any further than that.

We ended up getting to the final boss without any issues, wiped twice and then got him the third time with just 2 minutes to spare.

Felt pretty awesome that.

We make a good team secret agent Spork.

And yes, pugs are hit and miss. I have ran hundreds spread out over WoW, SWTOR and GW2 and some were excellent, some were terrible. I hate to use the following phrase but "deal with it". If you do not like the pug, leave. It is a pug after all; random strangers you do not know, who cares what they think and say about you (and forget once the pug is over) :)