Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (Official Server: Moogle)

mercenarri

Hohohoho ::adjusts monocle::

How is the dungeon finder then? (apart from it not working properly) Is it cross-realm or same realm? Do you need to have discovered the dungeon beforehand?

Does it have 30min boat trips like FFXI?

An additional seven days playtime is shit compensation when a lot of people are ready to just jack the game in completely.

PS: shut up, Neg.

I don't get this 'jack it all in' mentality. You've* (presumably) bought the game so you've got a month of playtime subsidised, and no MMO ever launches without incident. Yes, the server situation is ridiculous and a half trained honey badger could have looked at the numbers and decided that there simply wasn't enough servers (six EU ones?!) but hopefully, tomorrow's downtime will fix or at least make bearable, the logging situation.

I mean it's only because everyone likes the game that they're threatening to stop playing. If we were all indifferent we'd just slink off and wait for the next MMO on the horizon.

I'll save the real moaning for tomorrow if things aren't immeasurably better.

*used to signify in general, not a particular person.

Guild Wars 2 was fully playable at launch, hiccups yes, but not to this degree.

Same for Star Wars.

Same for RIFT.

The only online game recently that's had major launch issues is Marvel Heroes, and that's not even a MMO! Diablo III before that.

Square have no excuse and simply throwing out the 'well it's free for the moment' is the same exact method that killed FF14 in the first place (not exactly that, but you know what I mean)

Edit. Wizardry Online had log-in issues, but were sorted in a day or two.

Same for Star Wars.

Same for RIFT.

The only online game recently that's had major launch issues is Marvel Heroes, and that's not even a MMO! Diablo III before that.

Square have no excuse and simply throwing out the 'well it's free for the moment' is the same exact method that killed FF14 in the first place (not exactly that, but you know what I mean)

GW2 was non-playable if you wanted to group with friends. The whole 'overflow' server thing was a steaming pile of shit (much like the game itself) and I re-call lots of downtime during the first couple of weeks (not to mention a horrific amount of bugs in the world, something I've yet to see in XIV beside some spelling mistakes).

TOR and Rift worked, because they did exactly when SE are trying to avoid doing: throwing servers at the problem which become ghost towns after the first month and fracture the community like nothing else.

And I never said SE was using the 'well it's free' excuse. That is my rationale, not theirs. I'm sure they'd like to get this fixed and put the game on the shelves again as this is all lost revenue for them, one way or another.

I'm absolutely no SE apologist and certainly have no relationship with the FF online universe (no 'in XI we did this!' posts from me) but this is stems from them grossly underestimating how many people wanted to play this game. You have to remember this is a Japanese company, not some NA dev outfit that is used to pandering and aiming their game to a horde of obnoxious man children from America.

Same for Star Wars.

Same for RIFT.

Couldn't agree more (my god this games making me agree with Neg!)

Its a farce as this is the second launch! They even said in there PR about a month ago that they had half Million pre-orders (or a similar high number). Then they said each server holds 5K people and there are less than 30 USA/EU servers i.e. 5 x 30 = 150K concurrents. They have not even got enough servers to cover half the preorders.

All games at launch have issues, even SWTOR had at least a week of 45 mins+ queues. But this game wont even let me see a server list, or my characters, half the time I can't even leave the title screen as I cant press start. I've played less than 30 minutes in 5 days.

It really is a shame to spend 3 years rebuilding a game and then drop the ball like this. Like everyone has noted we don't want ghost town servers in 3 months, but the current server tech is broken. It cant give me a queue time, it can't kick AFKers, it can't show me a realm or character list without crashing. I'd accept an hour long queue, just click and go make dinner. What I don't accept is a server infrastructure from at least a decade ago.

I'm absolutely no SE apologist and certainly have no relationship with the FF online universe (no 'in XI we did this!' posts from me) but this is stems from them grossly underestimating how many people wanted to play this game. You have to remember this is a Japanese company, not some NA dev outfit that is used to pandering and aiming their game to a horde of obnoxious man children from America.

I do not understand that excuse. There is no excuse to not have a working queue system and a working system that kicks players from the world when they are inactive for 15 minutes.

I can fully understand why they did not go all out on servers (as you mentioned, ghost towns) but not having the two features above stupefies me. It boggles my mind. It is a precaution you have to take when developing a MMO. If a server is full tell me it is full and give me a rough estimate of when I can play instead of showing every server as available, letting my choose my character and then tell me "Nah we're full".

It truly stupefies me. Schoolboy error deluxe. And then you realise this is their second chance (third if you count Final Fantasy XI). Schoolboy error deluxe? More like persistent incompetence.

Very few will quit playing for good over this. The idea that most will is absurd.

Fact is that as much as this issue is a bitch for all of us, the reasons for it have been clearly stated and the mistakes made clearly acknowledged on several occasions by SE. And as much as it pisses us off, myself very much included there, the fastest possible solution to fix the issue properly is currently in motion. SE have said openly that they've been hit with an influx of players far greater in number than they anticipated and far greater in number than their current data centre setups can physically handle.

But what won't fix any of this, as many have suggested, is enabling queues and coding in AFK kicking before addressing the datacentres. Neither of those things increase server capacity. In fact all they do is stress the servers even more because it causes the servers to deal with increased player rotation.

I do not understand that excuse. There is no excuse to not have a working queue system and a working system that kicks players from the world when they are inactive for 15 minutes.

There is - it wouldn't solve the problem. It would make it worse. Increasing the rotation of players entering and exiting the servers will make them shit their pants for good - that's exactly why they're NOT implementing this before a datacentre fix.

I'm sure I read somewhere they've had 3 to 4 times the number of people they expected. They just didn't expect it to popular given it's a re release of a game they had to rebuild from the ground up and took offline not long after it was out because it was so bad. I'm not sure about anyone else but it wasn't even on my radar until I happened to try it at the end of the P3 beta.

Many of the issues are because of the duty finder falling over in the first few days so they had to put lower caps on realms than they should be able to support. We'll see after tomorrow anyway. If there are still issues then I think there are more reasons to be annoyed but it's not like they haven't said since last week that this is when the new upgrades will be online.

In between all this pressing of the Num 0 key with the game on my left monitor, I've decided to use my right monitor to watch films on netflix. Watching Silent Hill Revelation right now - a film I didn't even know existed. So far, its not very good!

Can you have different characters on different servers? Tempted to set up on a different one and join you guys when it's settled down if you can...

Yes. The JP servers are generally more reliable for getting into. Try them?

I know it's no help to the guys with login issues and queues and whatnot, but as has been mentioned lots of times, Moogle is definitely one of the worst affected. Of the guys I know playing it (on Phoenix and Cerberus) it's been 99% smooth all week. Personally I haven't even queued since launch weekend.

I got into play a little earlier. Nearly at 24 archer. I keep taking breaks to do crafting and gathering though. Fishing is totally relaxing :) I hope the data centre upgrade helps. It's such a good game.

AlsoTakizawa I've been having terrible trouble getting onto Phoenix the last few days. It's definitely not 99% smooth. Not even close.

Can you have different characters on different servers? Tempted to set up on a different one and join you guys when it's settled down if you can...

Yes. The JP servers are generally more reliable for getting into. Try them?

Cool I'll try that to start with, thanks matey.

Very few will quit playing for good over this. The idea that most will is absurd.

Obviously depends on the player but I think you underestimate the number of people that dislike even the notion of a subscription based MMO these days, let alone those put off by so much mess on a 2nd launch of a title. The players that put time off for launch. The players who just want to try this new fangled game out and give up. The players that switch from game to game like sheep only playing because it's currently hot on Twitch.

There are many types of players. The patient or forgiving number is far fewer then some would believe imo. Even with the Final Fantasy tag on the title.

Reminds me of the whole 'Oh, Wii U sales/third party will pick up once titles arrive, just wait!' debacle, in a way.

Edit: in another example, it's been a known fact that the majority of Diablo 3 players disgruntled with the game didn't go back to it despite its improvements in the months and year that followed. Despite 10million copies sold. As a result the expansion is blizzards hope in pulling those who stopped last summer (when Inferno was still hard) back in.

Of all the servers available across Japan, North America and Europe, five Japanese servers are available. All of NA and EU is greyed out. I hope they add a boatload of servers/capacity tonight.

Here is a preview of what I'll be doing tomorrow

fuck-everything-gif.gif

Obviously depends on the player but I think you underestimate the number of people that dislike even the notion of a subscription based MMO these days, let alone those put off by so much mess on a 2nd launch of a title. The players that put time off for launch. The players who just want to try this new fangled game out and give up. The players that switch from game to game like sheep only playing because it's currently hot on Twitch.

There are many types of players. The patient or forgiving number is far fewer then some would believe imo. Even with the Final Fantasy tag on the title.

Reminds me of the whole 'Oh, Wii U sales/third party will pick up once titles arrive, just wait!' debacle, in a way.

I'm not considering numbers. I'm considering behaviours from what has gone before. No popular MMO has hemorrhaged most of its players as a result of shitty launch week or two. After 30/60 days due to a game being genuinely shite or boring yes, but not initial server problems. Precisely why the playerbase at large is all so angry is because they want to play. The game is great and there'd be no noise at all if most had just give up beyond caring. The people hammering the servers right now care about this game.

As for the amount of people who dislike sub based MMOs - there's still plenty of them happily playing WoW, considerably more than any other MMO available despite the mantra that "F2P is the way!". And lots wanting to get involved in FFXIV - its why we can't play properly right now.

Oh don't get me started on WoW ;) For veteran players thats more to do with blind loyalty/investment combined with nostalgia these days, I figure. Not for being immersed in a world or worthwhile gameplay. It affects even me and is probably the reason I find it hard really caring about a whole new virtual world, despite the old one I love being raped terribly.

I keep trying, of course. I also just plain suck at letting go.

(please come out with English PSO2 Sega)

Also before everyone comes raging in here tomorrow after the long maintenance, just remember that pretty much every other mmo has problems after a big maintenance so when the servers aren't working properly don't assume square have done nothing. I know what you're all like!