Goose

Joon-ho Bong's Snowpiercer - Chris Evans, Ed Harris, Jamie Bell

Is there a decent blu-ray release of this available? I was going to get an import copy from Amazon, but the reviews seem to indicate that there are no English subtitles, so that the Korean sections are incomprehensible. Jeongmal gamsahabnida!

Whenever an Asian director decides to make a big English movie they all end up being utter rubbish. And this is no exception. The only decent things in the entire movie are the sets, and that one shot at the end with the little girl was quite nice.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I just watched this and came away convinced it's basically a feverish vision of an Andrea Leadsom premiership. We're one big train, utterly screwed beyond all hope at the mercy of despicable bastards and the only thing left to do is derail the bloody thing and take as many of them with us as possible, and perhaps whoever survives the crash may be able to make a better stab of things next time.

Or get eaten by polar bears, you never can tell. Naturally, I adored Tilda in this and was more than a little distressed that she didn't stick around for the final act.

• Upvote 6

What’s with this movie in the UK?  I meant to watch it ages ago when it was still possible to switch Netflix regions but never got around to it, and now I want to I can’t find it to stream on UK Netflix, Amazon, or iTunes. Has it ever appeared on TV over here even?  I don’t buy physical media anymore so that’s not really any option.

Finally seen this, and going to be in the minority on here who thought it was heavy-handed codswallop. It passed the time, but it was all very silly.

• Upvote 2

I thought it was heavy-handed codswallop and really enjoyable at the same time.  It had that different feel to a mainstream movie that can be fun.  Tilda Swinton was great, as was Evans. 

Annoyingly Netflix it didn't subtitle the Korean?  actors. At first I thought it was a choice, but when they start to have longer dialog realised it wasn't.  I had to rewind and turn on subtitles for everyone. :mellow:

I had the same issue, looking back in the thread apparently that’s how it’s been in general for this movie.

I really enjoyed the efficient writing and visual storytelling which I’d expected after The Host, and thought it was just one big weird allegorical fairytale that worked very effectively. It had a lot of Jeunet about it.

Of course if I had been in the mood for something a bit more grounded with that premise it probably would have come across more as a bunch of hammy nonsense.

I watched this the other day on Netflix. No Korean subtitles. Had to keep switching them on in those sections. Not much missed as this was mostly ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

It had a lot of Jeunet about it.

Dammit! I'd originally intended to post exactly that. 

If you don't treat it as a fairytale from early on I can imagine finding it a lesser experience.

• Upvote 1

Surprised that Netflix would just chuck something up like this without some kind of solution for the Korean dialogue. It's been entertaining enough so far, but I'm probably going to scour the internet for a version with baked subs and watch that. Shame because Netflix is mostly a pretty good answer to the whole "piracy is a superior product" argument.

So far: wacky, fun concept. Tilda Swinton's accent has been the most entertaining thing so far.

Yeah, this is really quite good, once you download a subtitles file and set it to a 14 second delay.

I think I enjoyed the second half more than the first? You just have to be willing to go with it I think. I could see how some might find it jarring compared to the gritty, grounded start. But I enjoyed the wierdness and the melodrama.