rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Fox

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

The film is also just made badly, if it wasn't called batman and superman and they tried to make that same plot with other DC characters like marvel did with GotG for instance, it would have been even worse.

The Lego batman film is a better batman film and the George clooney one is probably a more enjoyable one.

It makes no sense.

Just now, Matt Defis said:

I have done, not as a result of that though, just because Batman looks cool as fuck

Sure, my point is that both of you aren't as mentally unstable as Bruce Wayne and thus its not the best comparison when discussing if you would be triggered by...jesus what am I typing??!

• Upvote 1

I'm not a huge fan of the goody-goody superman trope, the holier than thou, wouldn't hurt a fly, always happy and cheery superman. 

I think there is definitely room for a more three-dimensional superman who struggles to come to terms with his powers, the expectations put upon him to always be the hero, the constant knowing what destruction he could cause if he just lost his temper. That's a superman story I'd like to see. Man of steel and batman Vs superman wasn't it, though. He was just a miserable git. 

The point is that whether you're familiar with the characters or not, whether you like these decidedly un-heroic grimdark versions or not, the whole Martha bit was a really dumb, lazy, unsatisfying, and unconvincing way to end that fight. Which is even more inexcusable when they have a comic on which the story is based to draw a better resolution from.

Apart from the terrible pacing, confusing and contradicting character motivations, and terrible dialogue, the biggest problem is that a movie called Batman versus Superman is barely about Batman and Superman fighting. Instead of building towards an epic fight the movie is constantly diverting your attention to movies yet to come, and eventually it culminates in a boring drawn-out fight with a terrible cgi monster. If they had focused more on the Batman vs Superman part, had done something to make these characters diametrically opposed to make it interesting - instead of having two un-heroic grimdarks going at it for no good reason at all - , and had thought of a better resolution than "our mums have the same name so now we're best friends", you might have gotten away with all the other problems. Now even switching off your brain doesn't help.

The movie is a jar of piss.

Well this escalated quickly :lol: 

The majority of critics and many many regular movies watchers consider BvS a bad film, and you won't need to look far for the many reasons why (Valid, critical reasons, not just fan boy-ism). Same as Prometheus and Ghostbusters 3. 

If you like this or any of those films, then fair enough. I'd just accept your opinion isn't one shared by the majority, both here and in the wider movie world though. There isn't really a need thought to start throwing out the 'Hive mind' cliche and all that. It's not some conspiracy.

• Upvote 3

There’s no isolated part of the text of the film that couldn’t have worked perfectly well in the right context. And I think that’s true of most bad movies. Even “MAAARTHHA” probably has a perfect analogue in a good movie.

This movie makes it absurd and diabolically overwrought.  

7 hours ago, buizel said:

So having someone shout his Mothers name, at a point of intensity.... are you saying Bruce would have zero reaction to it? 

It's odd that Superan used her name at any rate. You would say "mother" or something.

It's not a well written movie, I don't mind moving away from comic book versions of characters but you have to make then interesting. Superman was not an interesting or likeable character in this film. 

I enjoyed watching the movie but it's not a good movie.

On 02/11/2017 at 15:59, KriessG said:

Well this escalated quickly :lol: 

The majority of critics and many many regular movies watchers consider BvS a bad film, and you won't need to look far for the many reasons why (Valid, critical reasons, not just fan boy-ism). Same as Prometheus and Ghostbusters 3. 

If you like this or any of those films, then fair enough. I'd just accept your opinion isn't one shared by the majority, both here and in the wider movie world though. There isn't really a need thought to start throwing out the 'Hive mind' cliche and all that. It's not some conspiracy.

Speak for yourself mate. I was paid by Marvel to give DC films bad crirism.

On 11/2/2017 at 09:11, buizel said:

Edit:  It's funny, are these people suggesting comic book movies are real brain-scractchers? Like do I have to put my thinking cap on to enjoy the subtlety and nuancy of these brilliantly crafted works like Ant Man and GotG??

Does anyone want a superhero movie to be a brain scratcher? I'm not sure they do. They need to be big and brash and full of escapism. But ultimately, they need to tell a story in a logical, satisfying way. BvS just feels like a load of random trailer friendly moments and soundbites slapped together.

I've no doubt that Snyder is a big movie fan and probably loves all the movies we love from the last forty odd years, filled with iconic moments that stay with us. But he can't seem to get a grip of the story surrounding those moments -- the sense of pace, the logical character arcs, that work hard to make the big scenes really hit home.

• Upvote 1

Snyder’s scripts are literally just cool trailer moments strung together by nonsense. Everything the characters actually say is written to sound cool in isolation, so the actual scenes are fucking bizarre. A collection of what sounds like the last line of a dramatic conversation over and over again, in a way that isn’t dramatic at all because it makes literally no sense. Every conversation Clark ever has in these two movies is someone giving him line after line of important life advice. I started to feel like I’d be that fucking grumpy if every human I ever met spoke to me like that.

On 08/04/2017 at 17:39, George Clooney said:

It feels though it was reworked so that Snyder could fill the film with his "moments".  There was a video posted a while ago which was really good which explained about how it feels like the film is more geared towards showing moments to the detriment of scenes. 

This is a good description of every movie Snyder has ever made, except maybe the one where he filmed his sexual fantasies about teenage girls.

Yeah, it’s not about being somehow audaciously brilliant with some Nolan-esque novelty structure, but about the basic nuts and bolts of competently telling a story.

Snyder is no good at that when he’s not using an existing comic book to storyboard everything out. Great cinematographer (usually; BvS was unusually uneven in this regard). Really knows how to pick the right music for a mood. Does not get structure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don’t think the problems with BvS and MoS are as simple as that really. He can clearly recognise and not fuck with a good story structure - see Watchmen and 300 - but isn’t so good at helping make one out of whole cloth. 

(Or two completely separate D.C. comics stories as the case may be.)