Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

The Fox

Totally agree about Gadot's look but as ever it's how the character's power is sold on screen that'll be the test. I think a strong looking woman would be a requirement and ideally for me one (like Darwyn Cooke's WW in New Frontier) that physically looks down on Batman and Superman :D

tumblr_mr83khisa91r3h41qo4_500.pngnf8z.jpg

Everyone understands his point, but it's not right. Superman and Batman aren't ripped so they look hot, they're ripped so they look strong. Wonder Woman is hot so she looks hot, and the "but she's magically strong" argument is a red herring.

Wait, who's point are you arguing? I'm lost because we appear to be saying the same thing.

I'm sure it'll all be fine.

Wonder Woman is arguably doing the same but, strangely, not to identify with a visual ideal of strength and power but to match cover shot ideals of beauty.

It's a bit male fantasy, really.

That has always been the contradiction about Wonder Woman, ever since she was first created. (Well, it's one of the contradictions about her; she also has that "warrior/ambassador of peace" thing about her too.)

The whole reason she was created by a polyamorous polygraph inventor was in order to represent early-20th century feminist/suffragette ideals of womanhood, and to show mankind the peaceful utopia we could all live in if only we would submit to the true strength of women... and their bondage fantasies.

Here are two long, recent articles about the character's creation:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/origin-story-wonder-woman-180952710/?all

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/22/last-amazon

From those two linked articles about the character: her creator was someone who said this...

Marston put it this way: "Frankly, Wonder Woman is psychological propaganda for the new type of woman who should, I believe, rule the world."

...yet he put this in one of his scripts:

"Closeup, full length figure of WW. Do some careful chaining hereMarss men are experts! Put a metal collar on WW with a chain running off from the panel, as though she were chained in the line of prisoners. Have her hands clasped together at her breast with double bands on her wrists, her Amazon bracelets and another set. Between these runs a short chain, about the length of a handcuff chainthis is what compels her to clasp her hands together. Then put another, heavier, larger chain between her wrist bands which hangs in a long loop to just above her knees. At her ankles show a pair of arms and hands, coming from out of the panel, clasping about her ankles. This whole panel will lose its point and spoil the story unless these chains are drawn exactly as described here."

That's why the whole female empowerment/male fantasy dichotmy is a more fundamental, and more interesting, aspect of Wonder Woman than it is of most other female comics characters. I know that Grant Morrison, for one, has said that Wonder Woman was never as interesting once her comics stopped being written by people as kinky as William Moulton Marston.

(Chris Claremont and his mind control fetish has nothing on him!)

Some scene descriptions - not massively spoiler filled but just in case -

EW reports that one "comically grim" scene will take place at Wayne Manor and features both a weary Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck) and his butler Alfred (Jeremy Irons) sitting around a burned-out fireplace. In the scene, Wayne Manor is now a "derelict husk" and the pair are discussing Bruce's upcoming confrontation with Superman.

Another scene features the same pair having a discussion in the Batcave: "Bruce outlines his motivations to a skeptical Alfred, a bit of realpolitik reasoning that weighs the morality of a preemptive strike on Superman against even the minimal chance of humanity's destruction."
Yet another one is the extended fight between the two superheroes seen in the trailer. In the fight, the pair are seen "throwing each other through walls and skylights"

One of the issues for me is that Batman just looks too bulked up, like some sort of roid rage bouncer, or one of those ridiculous click bait photos you see for "herbal steroids".

Basically, he doesn't look real. He doesn't look like he'd be able to move quickly enough. Superman looks less built, and he's supposed to have superhuman strength. It just doesn't sit right.

Compare it to Bale's Batman - he at least looked like a guy built to move quickly, but can handle himself. Although Bale initially went too far with his physique and the producers told him he had to lose muscle mass.

This one, it just looks like it's based more on a comic book look than reality.

And then you have Wonder Woman, who just looks like a hot woman wearing a scanty brown outfit.

Summary - they look shit.

I dont think it's so much the size with Gadot, as Jaimie Alexander is hardly a load bulkier and I think she does pretty well as Sif in the Thor movies, more that she just doesnt have the presence the character requires. She looks dainty and fragile, she just doesnt look like a powerful warrior. Maybe the film will change my mind, but the revealed shots if anything enforce my doubts rather than relieve them. I know Alexander and Gina Carano were both touted at various points, and I think both would have fit the role better. Like I said though, maybe it'll be different in the film.

Oddly, the more I see of Afflecks Bats, the more I like the look they're going for. I think he could be surprisingly good.

One of the issues for me is that Batman just looks too bulked up, like some sort of roid rage bouncer, or one of those ridiculous click bait photos you see for "herbal steroids".

I still think it looks a bit like affleck in a padded muscle suit...which I'm guessing is exactly what it is.

The main difference between Iron Man and Batman is that Iron Man can actually fly, and Batman would still win.

They're both supposed to be billionaires with military tech at their disposal. Batman' suit looks like it was cobbled together in a shed.

I'm still not sold on the need for all of that Justice League set-up in this film, with all of those characters chucked in there. The trailer also reflects a lot of the worries I have; the first half 'establishing' stuff looks great and really interesting, but when it gets all smashy and explosiony it looks like it could just be an unfocused mess.

But man am I hyped for this regardless.