rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Fox

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Before the the original Man of Steel thread gets too difficult to split from the sequel chat -

On the heels of the worldwide success of "Man of Steel," director Zack Snyder is bringing together the two greatest Super Heroes of all time—Batman and Superman—for the first time on the big screen. The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

"Whilst our ‘Dark Knight' trilogy is complete, we have every confidence that Zack's fresh interpretation will take the character in a new and exciting direction. His vision for Superman opened the door to a whole new universe and we can't wait to see what Zack does with these characters."

The current hit, "Man of Steel," has taken in more than $630 million at the worldwide box office to date, and climbing. Along with its star, Henry Cavill, the upcoming film brings back Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane. The new Batman has yet to be cast.

Snyder is co-writing the story with David S. Goyer, who will then pen the screenplay. Production is expected to begin in 2014, with an anticipated release date in Summer 2015.

Silverman stated, "Zack Snyder is an incredibly talented filmmaker, but beyond that, he's a fan first and he utterly gets this genre. We could not think of anyone better suited to the task of bringing these iconic Super Heroes to the screen in his own way." Kroll added, "We are thrilled to be back in business with Zack and his team on this next movie. The success of ‘Man of Steel' is a wonderful testament to the love and support that both fans and new audiences, worldwide, have for these characters. We are very excited to see what Zack has in store for all of us."

Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment, noted, "Superman and Batman together on the big screen is a dream come true for DC fans everywhere. All of us at DC Entertainment could not be more excited for Zack's continuing vision for the DC Universe."

Zack Snyder, who made a surprise appearance at Comic-Con today, breaking the news to audiences there, later said, "I'm so excited to begin working again with Henry Cavill in the world we created, and I can't wait to expand the DC Universe in this next chapter. Let's face it, it's beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world."

The new film brings back Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder as producers. This time, Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are serving as executive producers, along with Benjamin Melniker and Michael E. Uslan.

Thomas offered, "Whilst our ‘Dark Knight' trilogy is complete, we have every confidence that Zack's fresh interpretation will take the character in a new and exciting direction. His vision for Superman opened the door to a whole new universe and we can't wait to see what Zack does with these characters."

The film is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, and Batman characters created by Bob Kane, published by DC Entertainment.

Hated most things about Man of Steel and I'm very low on Snyder and Goyer because of that (and because of Sucker Punch). But damn, Superman/Batman is one of my favorite comics of all time, and for me I never liked a Superman comic at all until I read that and I genuinely feel that on the evidence I've seen in comics and in animated form the two characters work far better together than either of them do separately (and I fucking love Batman).

So I'm cautiously optimistic. It will probably be awful.

I kinda feel cheated out of a Man Of Steel sequel and would have liked to have seen a full Superman movie expanding his world AND a new Batman franchise movie.

I suppose 'Superman/Batman' is a good '2 birds/1 stone' shortcut but I feel the universe building would have been just as well served with them meeting up in a later film even if that was the Justice League movie.

Christ, after sucking any vestige of joy out of Superman I can only imagine how po-faced and grimdark Batman will be in Visionary Director Zack Snyder's hands. It'll make The Dark Knight look like Blazing Saddles.

• Upvote 5

I don't understand how rubbish like Man of Steel makes so much money. It's just ridiculous. There are so many idiots about.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

Here's how it went -

WB - guys we need to get Justice League going. What do we do?

Exec 1 - Get Batman and Superman in the same movie!

WB - Yes! It can't fail. And the Dark Knight trilogy made a billion dollars, Man of Steel is going to make $600M so that means....

Exec 1 - Superman & Batman WILL MAKE $2B!

Exec 2 - What about Justice League?

WB - Fuck Justice League, we've just made more money than Avatar!

• Upvote 3

I don't understand how rubbish like Man of Steel makes so much money. It's just ridiculous. There are so many idiots about.

I don't really care for MoS but people are idiots for seeing (or liking) this movie? Jeez.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

They really are desperate to get this Justice League movie viable in as short a time as possible, aren't they?

Here's how it went -

WB - guys we need to get Justice League going. What do we do?

Exec 1 - Get Batman and Superman in the same movie!

WB - Yes! It can't fail. And the Dark Knight trilogy made a billion dollars, Man of Steel is going to make $600M so that means....

Exec 1 - Superman & Batman WILL MAKE $2B!

Exec 2 - What about Justice League?

WB - Fuck Justice League, we've just made more money than Avatar!

I don't get this kind of negativity. WB have been trying to get Justice League off the ground a while now, so this is hardly a kneejerk move. Also, a World's Finest movie has been knocking around as an idea (one which fans have clamoured for, myself included) for ages.

After Man Of Steel, this makes perfect sense to me. Whether you like MoS / Snyder / Nolan / Goyer or not, this is the obvious route for WB to take. Marvel have done extremely well with the Avengers build up, but DC have something in their crown that Marvel: A Superman / Batman team up. Of course they are going to use it.

I'm having the displeasure of experiencing Man of Steel right now. No more, thanks.

Here's how it went -

WB: People, someone online is watching a pirated version of Man Of Steel and doesn't like it so far. They have kindly asked that we make no more.

Exec: Sure thing, chief!

Smitty: Aww, you guys!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I agree. The end goal is a Justice League film and this is the best way to get that moving. Batman doesn't need another reboot, so putting him in the MoS sequel is a solid move, which would lead nicely in to the JL. Were they not to have a team-up film, their dynamic would probably overshadow the entire JL movie.

There are rumours of a Flash film in 2016 with JL coming in 2017, which sounds plausible and a pretty solid route to getting the JL movie finally made.

Whilst not entirely sure if Snyder is the man for the job (even though I liked Man of Steel), I'd have to agree this is as best a move as WB can possibly make to set up a Justice League movie. Separate movies for characters like Wonder Woman and Flash just aren't an option after a disaster as Green Lantern.

I don't get this kind of negativity. WB have been trying to get Justice League off the ground a while now, so this is hardly a kneejerk move. Also, a World's Finest movie has been knocking around as an idea (one which fans have clamoured for, myself included) for ages.

After Man Of Steel, this makes perfect sense to me. Whether you like MoS / Snyder / Nolan / Goyer or not, this is the obvious route for WB to take. Marvel have done extremely well with the Avengers build up, but DC have something in their crown that Marvel: A Superman / Batman team up. Of course they are going to use it.

I get that a World's Finest movie is a great stepping stone in universe building but this is like Iron Man 2 being about Iron Man and Thor teaming up for a movie (possibly a bad example as IM2 was overloaded with S.h.i.e.l.d/Avengers build up. I get that we already know who Batman is but it's almost too soon to do a team up movie here IMO. Give the new Batman a movie, let Superman take on Lex Luthor or whoever by himself etc. As for the other Leaguers...

Whilst not entirely sure if Snyder is the man for the job (even though I liked Man of Steel), I'd have to agree this is as best a move as WB can possibly make to set up a Justice League movie. Separate movies for characters like Wonder Woman and Flash just aren't an option after a disaster as Green Lantern.

Hulk and Incredible Hulk didn't exactly set the world on fire, so GL's failure shouldn't stop WB focusing on Wonder Woman, Flash etc.

The sad truth of course is that WB had Joss Whedon eager to do a Wonder Woman film and they turned him away! WB/DC's big advantage here is that they won't let the rights to any of their characters go elsewhere like Marvel had to do before they set up Marvel Studios.

I think bringing in Wonder Woman or Aquaman in a JL movie would be like introducing Thor's world and Asgard etc in the Avengers movie. A good platform to do it but it would be nice to see films based in Themyscira and Atlantis etc before they all team up to fight Darkseid or whoever.

Haha Batman/Superman discussion on BBC News now, news reader chuckling through the item, tells the 'comic expert guest' "You make it sound like they are real!" Cringe......

• Upvote 1