IGNORED

RLLMUK the RPG....Kinda (updated with v2)

George Clooney

Would it be possible to get an evil priest astillius who wipes a villages memory of your visit? So you go there and do a bunch of stuff - and next time you go back in you're like, 'Hey guys! Wasn't all that stuff I did awesome?' and leads to a little subquest battle with astillius when it turns out he's be wiping all knowledge of you from their minds.

Again, great stuff here guys, really given me some ideas on where to take it. Before I reply to specific people though a quick update on what I'm thinking. My idea is to make the story that the main character unexplainedly finds himself in Rllmukland and Graham S's castle, who tells him the way to go. To get home, he must cross the lands of Rllmuk, which are ravaged by war between the Knights of Exbonia, the Soni Defense Force, and the Cult of Nontendi (all names subject to change, I literally just came up with them). You must help people affected by the wars, who will then in turn help you find the dreaded Oftopique pass, with dangerous trolls which will lead you home. I've gotten (what I think) is a good idea on how to end it though. I think I'm also going to use mostly pre-made maps that come with the game at first, just so I can work on characters and story mostly.

As far as what happens with characters in your party, I want them to have a point. So, I'm thinking each one has a skill that will help in some way, or at some point. So, for example, Crispin can lift heavy items, Scott can charm female characters, etc. I'm considering reducing the number and making it so you can have them all in your party rather than having to choose, and putting most out in the world rather than at the start, so you pick them up as you go.

I'm also thinking of putting a "lorekeeper" or librarian or something in the castle to explain the basic story so far - as in, how the war came about and stuff. I'd like it to be someone who isnt CGMF, so any suggestions who would be suitable for such an NPC?

Your "level" should be your "reputation" which can go up and down, depending on your actions (quests?) which when completed can have a positive or negative effect, depending on the mood of the NPCs (i.e. if you've given them things they like, or said what they want to hear at a given moment in time) :) You should need to be a certain level to recruit more advanced NPCs to your party.

I like this idea, though there is a risk of it becoming very complicated if I allow both posses and negs to affect your level. In the game though, its easy to implement - you can grant levels whenever you want, rather than having to do it through battles. I'm thinking of making it so there is a "boss" that you can only defeat if you have so many posses (and thus, levels). I could even make this so that you have to do a battle for the boss, by making you pretty invincible after certain levels. If I do it, I'm likely to do it only one way, with a few story based exceptions, and reward doing quests/helping people with increased rep. I think I can even change it to refer to levels as rep. Hmmm.....

Do you want ideas for quests, or not that far yet?

I'm open to ideas at any time, to be honest, even if I'm not at the stage to implement them soon if I did like them.

Collectable rep points!

A crossbow!

If you attempt to attack CGMF, he should instakill you with an Epic Burn attack.

Ha ha, if I put in Soong, he'll definitely have a crossbow!

There should definitely be a mission to carry a traders days takings through a graveyard but always ends in failure due to a mugging.

The tavern should be Ye Slugge & Lettuce in a nod to the Bath meets.

Like both those ideas. First one depends on if I can script it, but if I can it'll be in. Who was it who posted about that, does anyone remember?

Are there Final Fantasy type battles in this RPG? could we shoe-horn some magic powers called " Bummed In The Gob " in there? ;)

If I go with the "final boss that you need to have a certain rep to beat" battle idea, the uberspecialawesomeonehit attack you gain at the right level will almost certainly be "bummed in the gob". But for the most part, no, no final fantasy type battles. Looking at it, I think it would just take quite a lot longer to balance. Most games I've seen done in RPG maker take a similar approach and are mostly story based/puzzle games.

Crispin the muscular dwarf.

Ramone and his sidekick Stan. They go around and claim things that they do are to save the world but it's actually all for their own personal gain. Stan always carries a story book with him.

An interaction with someone who is in the toilet. All they say is that they are doing a shit. This is Sweetdaddyg.

Velos, a handsome but evil prince from a far away land.

Bastion news!

King Graham s should always be going to sporting events.

To get home, he must cross the lands of Rllmuk, which are ravaged by war between the Knights of Exbonia, the Soni Defense Force, and the Cult of Nontendi (all names subject to change, I literally just came up with them).

The PC Master Race must also be in there somewhere. You could maybe make them live high up in the mountains in extravagant and expensive castles, literally looking down upon the three factions and their petty wars, which are of no concern to them. Layte as their king of course, the Odin of the Master Race Realm as it were, with Moz as his Thor.

Edit: and they worship a god called Gaben, his portrait hangs everywhere.

The PC Master Race must also be in there somewhere. You could maybe make them live high up in the mountains in extravagant and expensive castles, literally looking down upon the three factions and their petty wars, which are of no concern to them. Layte as their king of course, the Odin of the Master Race Realm as it were, with Moz as his Thor.

And they love giving things away.

Said castle should have a boiling moat for water cooling and air con units all over it.

Harlen would be a good lorekeeper as long as the lore was limited to the organising of meets, that time Tony Mott said or did something, or the time a girl was a boy. You could give him the title of Altfinder General.

If robotic technology exists in the world, Cacophanus would make an excellent boss.

I love the look of this, and some of the ideas put forward sound rather amusing. How versatile is RPG Maker? Because itd be a shame if you were forced to m,ake an identikit 16-bit style JRPG and toss out some of the potential ideas you've picked up from this thread because of the softwares limitations.

Harlen would be a good lorekeeper as long as the lore was limited to the organising of meets, that time Tony Mott said or did something, or the time a girl was a boy. You could give him the title of Altfinder General.

If robotic technology exists in the world, Cacophanus would make an excellent boss.

Even if it doesn't, he should insist it does and continually correct people on the correct way to spell roboto.

I love the look of this, and some of the ideas put forward sound rather amusing. How versatile is RPG Maker? Because itd be a shame if you were forced to m,ake an identikit 16-bit style JRPG and toss out some of the potential ideas you've picked up from this thread because of the softwares limitations.

Its pretty versatile. No one has pitched anything yet that I couldnt put in, I dont think. Though some may take longer than others. The only real limitation is graphics. Someone suggested using peoples avatars as their portraits, and while I'd love it, I doubt I could get character sprites that would match. That said, importing is easy, and there are quite a lot of people who have made sets available, so I might get looking.

I've done a bit of an update (not in the download though, might change that) which adds;

- CGMF as a save point system.

- "reputation" added, which are essentially levels. You gain rep by adding people to your party.

- made some custom classes (some are actually in the game - check out Nap or Crispins character screens in the menus) and given the hero the class "adventurer", which at level 3 rep grants the ability to bum your enemies in the gob.

- Added an option at the start dialogue with Graham S to name your character.

- For those that have seen the (rather abitrarily added) ending, I've put some scrolling credits at the end with a message, certifying that it's actually where the game ends.

- There's also an ogre patrolling that area, who is deadly, but you can one shot if you bum him in the gob.

I just wanted to say thanks though guys, there have been some brilliant ideas in this thread, and I've now got a pretty fleshed out main story and how to end it in my head, as well as some really good side quests and inside gags and the like. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with party members joining throughout the story rather than you pick the ones at the start. Maybe. Its just that way I can control conversations a lot easier, as I can control who is present to a greater extent. I might still have "one or the other" choices like Probeater/Shesaid though. I'm going to go away now and map out the main areas I'm thinking of, and who is going to go where.