Characters you cant stand in otherwise good shows.

Yeah I really wish they hadn't done the whole joey/Rachel thing. But it's weird, the last time I watched it that their thing together just kind of ended without any resolvement.

That was easily one of the silliest storylines. It was basically resolved in one scene if I recall correctly. They're fooling around, and I think Rachel pulls away and suddenly realises this is Joey and that it will never work between them. I think they try to start kissing again, but the same thing happens and they agree to leave things as they are. Resolved. It seemed to me at the time that they'd introduced the storyline but the fans just didn't get on with it at all, and so they decided to just wrap it up fast. I think after that point it is barely mentioned again.

The first two seasons were excellent, but the Ross/Rachel break up really dragged the show down, made worse by the god-awful Emily storyline. I didn't actually mind the Chandler/Monica relationship, but couldn't be bothered with Phoebe's pregnancy and all that. Though the episode where she realises she has to give the children to her brother, was surprisingly well handled.

There are some great episodes in the later seasons and I was a huge fan back in the day, but I could barely tell you anything that happened in the last couple of seasons save for the big stuff like the finale and Chandler & Monica adopting.

BBC Breakfast, I hate this one:

_45524446_profile_carol.jpg

Far too chirpy for that time in the morning.

My perfect weatherman would be unshaven and hungover looking. (Sounds like I'd be good for it actually)

JD in Scrubs. Annoying, unfunny, useless little prick.

This.

I loved Scrubs back when it was on but by God how did they manage to create a great show with such an unintentionally annoying and unlikeable main character?

The writers try to make him a nice guy so we'll root for him but for some reason give him moments of being an absolute c*nt also, I remember one episode he finds it irritating that his girlfriend says 'thats so funny!' instead of laughing so he ends up being a git and making her cry in which he turns to Turk and says something along the lines of; " You know what's interesting Turk? She's not saying "that's so sad"....she's actually crying..."

Utter c*nt!

A number of people seem to be remarking that Joey got dumber as the series went on, but he actually started out really dumb but they made him a bit smarter as the audiences didn't like it (IIRC from watching a documentary about the series). Likewise, Goose is right that the Joey/Rachel was also cut-short because the public didn't like it.

Friends was great, but does veer in quality; some plotlines were far too drawn-out or poor (Phoebe's pregnancy, Monica & Chandler, Emily); there's a few seasons that are a bit of a slog to get through (5-7 I think, it's been a long while).

I have written rather a lot about Friends on here in the past, but to keep it brief (too late), here are my views on how all the characters changed:

Joey - became much more grounded. Ignore his stupid comments, he became the central friend the whole group and everybody worked off him. Was funny and charming, but also the most stable of the group, I think.

Chandler - I originally loved Chandler. He was sharp, sarcastic and good with quips - he was a lot like me when I was younger. Then I started to realise how there wasn't much substance to him; he was quite selfish and his sarcasm was needlessly mean. By the end I actually started to dislike him (it's no coincidence I guess that I also started to realise how nasty sarcasm could be when I started to feel bad for my brother, who was usually the victim of my 'comedy'.)

Rachel - Starts off as a bit of an airhead but settles down and stays fairly solid throughout and becomes a strong, independent woman in the main.

Phoebe - As has been mentioned already, she was actually quite nasty. There are a number of episodes where she selfish or just rude, whilst trying to keep the moral high ground. Generally picked on Ross. Plus, as I mentioned in a previous post, a lot of the humour behind her character was that she said things you wouldn't expect to hear and so you laugh at the oddness, rather than because it is something amusing. It's a trait I've levelled at Russell Howard in the past, when he says something innocuous but includes monkeys/ninjas/turtles for no reason. I just don't get it.

Monica - Got more and more neurotic and controlling as time went on and after Richard she lacked any real storylines until the Chandler stuff happened. And even then, she didn't really have much outside that; her relationship defined her role for probably the last 3-4 seasons.

Ross - By the end, I loved Ross and Joey far more than anybody else. You may or may not know, but Ross was the first person to be cast for the series (Ross was written with only him in mind), so he was always going to be central to everything that happened. He sure had his downs - I know near the end he wasn't happy with the scripts joking about the failed marriages, the Emily stuff was rubbish and his breakdown was more than a bit silly.

But he had some of the best plots (a lot of it around Rachel, but there's some gold in there), was never outright nasty to others (unlike Phoebe and Chandler in particular) and some of the most warming friendships - his friendship with Joey really blossomed over the last 2-3 seasons and was full of charm. And he was responsible for almost certainly the funniest thing I ever saw in the whole 10 seasons, so well done that man.

Sorry, I love to discuss Friends!

The amount of times they were just about to get back home, and that stupid fucking unicorn would bleat and they'd all have to decide to go back next week instead. Why fucking bother looking for a way home if that unicorn and the idiot in the Viking helmet are just going to want to stay so they can't be separated? They should have left them both there!

I remember quite clearly an episode in which they could see the theme park through a portal, all they had to do was step through it. They're all getting ready and then....the unicorn bleats and they decide to stay. So why bother looking for a way home in the first place if that is going to happen. Every. Fucking. Time.

You can't write all that and then leave this hanging.

Ha, well I could :P

It's this scene, helped by the build-up throughout the episode - but the narration, physical comedy and the final line had me in tears at the time and again just now looking for it to reply to you.

What was the documentary you watched about Friends? I didn't know that about Joey being too dumb for audiences and his storyline with Rachel being wrapped up early.

I knew David Schwimmer had Ross written more or less for him though. I think he's the only one of the cast to have ever been allowed into the writer's room too, although I'm not sure what if anything he's ever contributed.

I've not seen him in anything else other than Band of Brothers and I think the Paul Bearer(?). Anything you'd recommend? I always thought Matthew Perry was good when he wasn't being Chandler. He was excellent in the West Wing and Studio 60 but I don't know what else he's done post-Friends.

I've not seen him in anything else other than Band of Brothers and I think the Paul Bearer(?).

A biopic of the wrestler? Schwimmer well out of his comfort zone there.

What was the documentary you watched about Friends? I didn't know that about Joey being too dumb for audiences and his storyline with Rachel being wrapped up early.

I knew David Schwimmer had Ross written more or less for him though. I think he's the only one of the cast to have ever been allowed into the writer's room too, although I'm not sure what if anything he's ever contributed.

I've not seen him in anything else other than Band of Brothers and I think the Paul Bearer(?). Anything you'd recommend? I always thought Matthew Perry was good when he wasn't being Chandler. He was excellent in the West Wing and Studio 60 but I don't know what else he's done post-Friends.

I honestly can't remember the documentary (it was a talking-heads thing I think), sorry.

I didn't know that bit about Schwimmer, though I did know he directed some episodes towards the end.

As for Matthew Perry, I find him always to be playing Chandler no matter what he is in. In Studio 60 he was just Chandler with a political bent - all the mannerisms were exactly the same, the inflection on his sarcastic comments was the same, the little bits of slapstick...it grated (though that show had many other problems). I haven't seen him in West Wing, so maybe he was a bit less hyper in that?

That said, I did really like him in Three to Tango, a film where he's more toned-down and is much more likeable.

Schwimmer has done an interesting array of stuff. If i remember he directed the US version of Little Britain. He also directed Trust with Clive Owen about a girl who meets a guy from an internet chat room.

Matthew Perry has been in at least two other sitcoms, neither of which went very far. We saw him in one recently in a group therapy thing. I read it had been cancelled. Go On it was called

Matt le Blanc pretty much vanishd after Joey failed, but had something of relaunch with the show episodes.

Aniston moved into film while Cox also had her share of failed sitcoms before landing Cougar Town, which always seems on the edge of cancellation.

Kudrow also kept a fairly low profile post friends. She did a docu-comedy called The Comeback, about a successful sitcom star hoping for a second shot at glory. She was also in the awful Marci X, in which she inherited a music studio and became a rapper or something.

Schwimmer has done an interesting array of stuff. If i remember he directed the US version of Little Britain. He also directed Trust with Clive Owen about a girl who meets a guy from an internet chat room.

Matthew Perry has been in at least three other sitcoms, none of which went very far. We saw him in one recently in a group therapy thing. I read it had been cancelled.

Matt le Blanc pretty much vanishef after Joey failed, but had something of relaunch with the show episodes.

Aniston moved into film while Cox also had her share of failed sitcoms before landing Cougar Town, which always seems on the edge of cancellation.

Kudrow also kept a fairly low profile post friends. She did a docu-comedy called The Comeback, about a successful sitcim star hoping for a second shot at glory. She was also in the awful Marci X, in which she inherited a music studio and became a rapper or something.

Schwimmer has directed and starred in plays in London, too, as well as dating Natalie Imbruglia.

Perry has certainly done other stuff, and you're correct that everything has been cancelled (none have made a second season I don't think); I imagine that after Friends everybody thought he'd be the next big comedy star, but that didn't really happen.

Le Blanc did just disappear; he made Lost in Space (which I always liked), but when that didn't do well enough to spawn the obvious sequel he went into Limbo. I've enjoyed Episodes (without it being a laugh-riot) but outside of that his career is pretty barren these days.

Aniston certainly made the step-up to films, though you'd be hard-pressed to say she's a proper leading-lady; she's very typecast and isn't actually that good an actress on the big screen; she doesn't have a presence.

Kudrow also did some films, but again seemed to be quite typecast as either ditzy or kerrr-razy (or both) in the ones I've seen. Didn't she also do some a series of web-shorts?

Cox, like Kudrow, has a mix of films and TV post-Friends and at least is the star of her own show.

So really varying levels of success. I suppose if I had had to guess which of them would be most successful post-Friends I probably would have gone for Le Blanc (if he'd stayed trim I could have seen him as a comedy-action star), Perry (even though by the end I'd grown very weary of him) and Aniston (because she had a bit of a 'too big for TV persona' about her - though it turns out that it's too small for films, too).

Sorry, I'll stop derailing the thread now!

I've not seen him in anything else other than Band of Brothers and I think the Paul Bearer(?).

paul-bearer.jpg

]

Ah beaten to it by K, still a good excuse to post a photo of Paul Bearer (RIP) :)

In Buffy, I got a bit creeped out by Xander turning into an obviously middle aged man whilst still playing a high school student, and I had no time for Dawn (Buffy's suddenly introduced kid sister).

Edit: wikipedia tells me Nicholas Brendan played Xander from age 25-32; the character was supposed to be 16-19.

Slight derail, but some friends and I were talking about Buffy on Saturday (they'd just done a full-series re-watch) and we talked about lots of stuff, including character-ruining moments. The episode where Xander jilts Anya is almost unwatchable. I can't imagine a writers' meeting where they discussed this and thought it'd be a brilliant idea, or even acceptable in any way. They try and redeem Xander through the course of season 6 and 7, but he's pretty much ruined.

Back on-topic, I didn't mind Dawn. First watch through she's unbearable, but once you know she's the Key (and after The Body, where she grows up fast) she's fine. There aren't many characters in Buffy I can't stand, but almost all of the new ones in season 4 (Maggie Walsh, Riley, Parker, Adam etc. etc) and the potentials in 7 are teeth-grindingly shit.

A biopic of the wrestler? Schwimmer well out of his comfort zone there.

:lol::doh: Knew I should have googled it.

As for Matthew Perry, I find him always to be playing Chandler no matter what he is in. In Studio 60 he was just Chandler with a political bent - all the mannerisms were exactly the same, the inflection on his sarcastic comments was the same, the little bits of slapstick...it grated (though that show had many other problems). I haven't seen him in West Wing, so maybe he was a bit less hyper in that?

He's only in the West Wing for a few episodes, but he plays a lawyer in the White House, so not much room for him to be hyper. I thought he played it well, but then I guess you'll always see a bit of Chandler in him. I think Ricky Gervais said something along the lines of "people criticise me for playing David Brent in every role I do. Well, I look like David Brent and sound like him too, so there'll always be a bit of him in everything I do."

I'd highly recommend the West Wing though if you haven't seen it. I think Perry is in it a bit later though, maybe season 4 or 5.

Vanity Fair had a good history of Friends for anyone interested.

Friends began with a casting miracle—the uncanny chemistry of six up-and-coming actors (two of whom weren’t even really available)—combined with a legendary director, and a pair of writers who nailed the young, single, urban life as never before on TV. In an adaptation from his new book on the rise and fall of NBC’s “Must See” TV, Warren Littlefield, the network’s former president, presents an oral history of its 10-season ratings juggernaut, learning how the stars’ characters were shaped, their lives altered, and their hearts a little bit broken.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/05/friends-oral-history-top-of-the-rock

MARTA KAUFFMAN: It was a fascinating casting experience. We saw a countless number of actors, but things happened as they were supposed to happen. One of the first actors on our list was Matthew Perry to play Chandler, but he was doing a show called LAX 2194 [a Fox pilot about baggage handlers in the year 2194], so he wasn’t available. We brought other people in.

HJWawLk.gif

this thread inspired me to dust off the old Friend's season 1 box set that has been laying untouched in the back of my cupboard for years. I watched the first episode and then the second, in which I switched it off halfway through.... by God it is bad. Maybe its just me or its aged badly but I always thought the first seasons were decent but apart from a few moments when Matt le Blanc and Mathew Perry were on screen it was awful. Just dreadful.

I remember one episode he finds it irritating that his girlfriend says 'thats so funny!' instead of laughing so he ends up being a git and making her cry in which he turns to Turk and says something along the lines of; " You know what's interesting Turk? She's not saying "that's so sad"....she's actually crying..."

Utter c*nt!

Unless you've been around someone who actually does this ( and I was astonished to find that they do exist, first-hand ) you can't really appreciate just how maddening it is!