Dota 2 Reborn. Source 2 is here!

Moz

I think your point about 'series' is a great one. Watching tournaments is so much more involving when you can see the progression through the tournament especially with dota where you can track which team has picked which hero and what counter picks are being made etc. It is a great spectator sport, but especially considered as a whole and not just match by match.

I can see arteezy pushing eg a long way. Not sure how they're playing recently but they are top of the joindota rankings.

I generally love watching teams that can roll any team based on the situation and like teams that can adapt to any tactic not just have one strategy.

I like the DK lineup too so I think they'll do well. A lot can still change before the tournament.

I am very happy that I booked the day after the final off last year, it was great watching it on skype with some friends. Might try organise a party this year or something, got quite a few mates who might be up for it!

Axe and Warlock in a lane is quite fun

We'll have to give that a go moz.

To be fair, I normally get flamed by my laneing partner early game for stealing their farm and being a loon. They usually change their mind when we are 3 kills up within 2 minutes and the opposing heroes have been completely shut down.

Even better when within 2 minutes the opposition mid has bailed out of lane to come and help stop me, leaving our carry to free farm. One of our heroes might have low farm but 2 or 3 of theirs will have very low farm and I will have very high farm.

I was thinking this morning about optimum early game farming tactics. I'm going to try: 30 second easy camp as soon as they spawn, lane creeps, stack medium/hard camp, easy camp, lane creeps, stacked camp. I think that within 2 minutes I could get 2 easy camps, 2 hard/medium camps, 2 entire creep waves and possibly a kill or 2 giving enough gold for boots and an urn, then focus on the blink at which point roaming ganking all the way home.

I'm putting the "solo ranked CD/CM is better" to the test. Some guy immediately yoinked the captain slot, banned Viper (?) and then declared STAY ON MY GUD SIDE OR U WONT GET UR HERO

Edit1: So far he's refused to pick any of the heroes requested by anyone on our team

I had my first game of Captains Mode last night.

It all started well, I was telling him which my preferred heroes were for each role and ended up with Disruptor (not my best or one of my preferred, but a good hero nonetheless). The rest of the team stayed silent about picks and we ended up with Disruptor, Dark Seer, Venomancer, Batrider and Ursa.

I could see that he was going for some insane initiation with Vacuum, Wall, Kinetic Field, Storm with Veno's ult and Bats ganking capability topped off with Ursa's right click damage. But it just never happened. The damage just wasn't there and we ended up losing within 35 minutes. With our Ursa (the captain) only managing 3.4k hero damage :unsure:

Our clinkz hasn't left the base yet except for one suicide run, our Wraith king is 1-6.

I'm not doing much better but I did set up a triple kill for disruptor and take down 3 towers by myself

our clinkz is 1 - 7 now

Game ended 42 -17 with our team captain blaming the supports for "not warding" despite me having wards up almost the entire game. Both our carries (playing heroes they didn't want to play, seemingly chosen at random by the captain) went 1 - 8 or thereabouts.

According to dotabuff:

I had the most last hits on our team (despite trying to avoid last hitting) and more hero damage than our Clinkz. More XPM than our carry who was performing some approximation of jungling (getting killed by neutrals) and more GPM than our Invoker who was mid. Bearing in mind I went 1 - 8 due to everyone staring slackjawed at teamfights this is pretty impressive.

Our disruptor used his mekansm once the entire game.

Captains mode yay

So it was only a bot match (as I have just got a new mouse and need some time adapting) but Axe + rush bloodstone =

post-3736-0-89293300-1397289701_thumb.jp

It was culling blade frenzy time. My biggest problem with axe is normally mana but with bloodstone i didn't get it once all match. I didn't even buy boots and only realised late in the match. If you can keep battle hunger up most of the time, that gives a boost to movement speed and culling blade does too. I think I had 35 charges on the bloodstone at one point.

Not saying it will work as well in a real match but I'm going to give it a go.

make sure you buy boots in a real match ¬_¬

I had a couple of hard bot matches afterwards and did remember to buy boots. I've worked out that if you go bloodstone You really don't need heart and are better off going for assault cuirass or heavens halberd.

In the 2nd hard match I started badly but we still won comfortably and got to 25 before the match ended. Might try an unfair bot match to see how it goes as I've never attempted one before.

The problem is in real games battle hunger will tail off in the mid/late game, roundabout the time that you get the bloodstone up. He's not a mana dependent hero once you take him out of the lane, stockpiling some wand charges is generally enough. You're better off with phase/drums - drums will give you a nice mana boost as well as great movespeed.

The problem is in real games battle hunger will tail off in the mid/late game, roundabout the time that you get the bloodstone up. He's not a mana dependent hero once you take him out of the lane, stockpiling some wand charges is generally enough. You're better off with phase/drums - drums will give you a nice mana boost as well as great movespeed.

I can't agree about the mana. His abilities are all 100+ mana and have very low cooldowns. Wand is nowhere near enough.

Played a unfair bot match and won pretty easy actually. Then went online and my overconfidence showed massively and I ended up feeding badly.

I think Bloodstone is fine on Axe if you're doing well enough to get it, especially now that you need to keep 900 mana in reserve for an opportunistic dunking Rampage! :omg:

The build-up isn't too bad either, you can go Arcane Boots -> Blink -> Vitality Booster then see how it goes - if you're doing well you can disassemble the Arcane Boots and go for the Bloodstone, but if your team starts losing then you can turn the Vitality Booster into a Rod of Atos, which gives a decent amount of HP (350) and mana (325) and a fairly useful active ability. After that you could get a cheap percentage mana regen item like an Urn or Medallion to make the most of the Int on the Rod of Atos.

I think Bloodstone is fine on Axe if you're doing well enough to get it, especially now that you need to keep 900 mana in reserve for an opportunistic dunking Rampage! :omg:

The build-up isn't too bad either, you can go Arcane Boots -> Blink -> Vitality Booster then see how it goes - if you're doing well you can disassemble the Arcane Boots and go for the Bloodstone, but if your team starts losing then you can turn the Vitality Booster into a Rod of Atos, which gives a decent amount of HP (350) and mana (325) and a fairly useful active ability. After that you could get a cheap percentage mana regen item like an Urn or Medallion to make the most of the Int on the Rod of Atos.

Yeah, that's been my build, disassembling the arcane boots to make the bloodstone. On the dunking, there is nothing worse than missing out on dunk kills because of a lack of mana.

I think Bloodstone is a bit expensive to build just for that very rare scenario where you have the possibility of a dunking rampage. I mean if you're stomping face then sure but if it's down to the wire and you have the money for a bloodstone, I think sheep stick or a shivas would probably serve the team better.

Interestingly, dota buff says that bloodstone is the highest win rate item for axe (ignoring aegis and gem) at over 85% (5050 cost) this month. It's obviously an expensive item but I think it works. Heart is at 77% (5500), Shivas at 78% (4700), sheep stick 77% (5675).

Going by that, bloodstone is a relative bargain. Shivas also looks good.

I wouldn't trust the stats on item builds. Building a bloodstone on Axe tends to mean you're doing extremely well because you can afford an expensive item on a hero that's not really considered a farmer.

I wouldn't trust the stats on item builds. Building a bloodstone on Axe tends to mean you're doing extremely well because you can afford an expensive item on a hero that's not really considered a farmer.

Have you read my post fully? Bloodstone is cheaper than some of the other comparable items but has a significantly higher win rate. The comparison is completely valid.

You could argue that people only buy bloodstone when the match has already been won but the same can be said for all of the others as far as I can tell. All would be considered extension items. It would be interesting to get stats on build order and when the item was built.