Dota 2 Reborn. Source 2 is here!

Moz

You don't half attract them Moz!

I've found that in ranked games the people I play with are generally worse and aggressive than when I do normal single draft games. I'd prefer to do ranked games but I think I'll only do that when I have at least a couple of friends in a group to reduce the risk of getting useful so-and-so's in the team.

I actually saw that last game, Moz. You weren't doing any better than your teammates (worse, in fact, you lost mid hard against Riki when you really shouldn't have), and your last hitting was very bad (maybe because you were trying to do it with Rot and failing). You also started the game by all-chat trash-talking your teammates which naturally isn't going to endear you to them when you start making requests without even saying please or 'could you'. Boots first on most heroes is a bad idea but that witch doctor got a shitload of early kills for the Luna in lane with him - they had like 4 kills to 1 death. But you then continued the trash-talking later on; you were basically being a teammate from hell.

Also, when you abandoned, your team was actually ahead on gold (significantly) and only slightly behind on experience. You're making a rod for your own back here.

I actually saw that last game, Moz. You weren't doing any better than your teammates (worse, in fact, you lost mid hard against Riki when you really shouldn't have), and your last hitting was very bad (maybe because you were trying to do it with Rot and failing). You also started the game by all-chat trash-talking your teammates which naturally isn't going to endear you to them when you start making requests without even saying please or 'could you'. Boots first on most heroes is a bad idea but that witch doctor got a shitload of early kills for the Luna in lane with him - they had like 4 kills to 1 death. But you then continued the trash-talking later on; you were basically being a teammate from hell.

Also, when you abandoned, your team was actually ahead on gold (significantly) and only slightly behind on experience. You're making a rod for your own back here.

I quit that game because I was lagging hard, massive delay on hooks and pudge skipping all over the place, with Steam losing connection every couple of minutes. It was likely the battle.net launcher in the background doing P2P stuff, but I didn't realise that until much later. Unless Steam was just broken as per usual at the moment.

Also, yeah, at this point I was fucked off and probably shouldn't have been playing. +1

Gonna try again tonight...

You're probably better than me JLR! Don't mistake my posts about comedy misadventures as a sign that I think I'm any good. I normally stack with more experienced guys (my regulars are in the 700-1200 wins bracket) but I also play with people who haven't got a clue. I'll play with anyone, I'd rather have someone to talk to for the game than some Invoker or Meepo stomping the enemy team without saying a word.

I also forgot to mention, I played a game of LOL last night, to try it out. I had no idea what was going on, but I got quite a few kills and it was quite fun. I was playing as some awful redhead with massive bazingas. Took me half the game to work out how to buy stuff.

I'm going to whiz through some dota2 co-op botmatches when I get home, to push my win rate and number of wins up a bit and see if it helps. I need to learn to play something else when I have a bad night instead of tilting. I've been mucking about with hearthstone and Diablo 3 as a side distraction. Also I'm probably low prio now as I abandoned my last game. My best solo queue games tend to be low prio, which is weird. The people are usually friendlier, Englisher and sensibler.

I knew it! "muttering in turkish" has sinister overtones btw. The casual xenophobia this game creates is interesting to observe.

Haha no I don't mind Turks, or people of any ethnic origin! It's just annoying when you can't communicate with your team despite picking English as your language for matchmaking. I have lots of Russians and Ukrainians in my friends list who I play with on occassion their English ranges from perfect to terrible but hey, it's better than my Russian.

I love that gif btw :D

I know botchmatches (sorry, botmatches) don't change mmr. Mmr has 4 types, ranked and unranked solo, ranked and unranked group. When I play unranked solo I tend to see higher skilled players than ranked solo, but I also get a lot of disconnects on both teams etc.

Last night was a strange one. Again low prio served me a better quality of game than the ranked matchmaking does. I lost a game as lich where I topped every stat on the leaderboard, lost a game as Veno where the enemy pushed one lane hyper aggressively while our carries dithered about chasing enemies with tunnel vision, and narrowly lost a game as Sven where I farmed like crazy but lost out in teamfights. We then discovered our support rushed a mek and didn't cast it once (0 HH in dotabuff lol). He's my real life mate so I gave him a good winding up about it. :lol:

I really enjoyed this game last night: http://dotabuff.com/matches/582463525

It was really close. It felt for a long time like the game was going to be theirs, but with me as Chaos and Loki as lifestealer, we knew we'd have a chance late game if we could stay in and around the right level range/gold earned.

They'd taken our top tower and racks, and we had the other two left standing, and that was it. I think at this point they had their tier two's all in place. Then after two successive teamfights, we completely swung the game. It was just really fun and pretty tight to the end.

Love this game.

Oh, and I can now play ranked matches. Yay! :)

It was an incredibly tight game.

When the Mirana got caught outside of the walls and initiated a team wipe on defence, I thought we were done for. But then we stormed up the middle for a 5 man push after they backed out and literally dominated the next two team fights.

Skull Basher was an amazing pickup for keeping people locked down, me using Infest on you before initiating on the Drow with Reality Rift + Chaos Bolt owned it.

Haha, I put -wtf mode on after doing ten minutes of last-hitting with Invoker (he's my next hero, eek) then just started pressing buttons! :D

The update has something that might help the Moz cause:

• Ranked matchmaking will no longer accept parties with an extremely large MMR spread.

Finally out of low prio after five or six quite fun balanced games. Back to ranked!

XmjiXge.png

(I'm former A star student)

Oh. Then my MMR went down. Guess I need to practice more.

And yeah, most of my deaths were in the fountain camp stage. I wasn't even playing very well, bit drunk, new unfamiliar keyboard, half arsing it. Legion just kept doing his ulti thing on people he couldn't kill, I don't think PA had ever played Dota before, Spectre was screaming "REPORT, CUNT, REPORT" at everyone for the entire game. At one point shaman stopped mid unloseable 2v1 gank to type "whoops wrong button" and got us both killed.

So the next game after this one had the worst lag I've ever seen in Dota, and it was absolutely nothing to do with my end. And then after the game finished I got put in low prio and marked with an abandon, even though I finished the game (we won) and there were no disconnects from either team. And then my MMR went down.

Proof:

http://i.imgur.com/ojDj2XD.jpg

I was Razor, performing terribly due to massive delay on everything.

Ah well, low prio matchmaking is infinitely better than ranked, so there's that.

Four losses as Invoker so far! I got a couple of Sunstrike kills on fleeing heroes in one of my two Quas/Exort games though, that counts for something, right? :(

I had decent farm in one of the games, but I didn't feel like I was having much of an impact with it. I think I need to be more aggressive in the lane with Cold Snap, and I'm not quite reacting appropriately to stuff like Blink Ursa yet ('Tornado him!', I realise, while dead). I keep forgetting that Ice Wall exists, too. :wacko:

What do you prefer playing?

Only had one game as him myself and did the usual Quas/Exort build with Sunstrike, Chaos Meteor and Forge Spirits.

Think I'd actually prefer playing him as a Quas / Wex build now though.

I'm definitely finding Quas/Wex easier, the Quas/Exort build feels very ponderous with his base 280 movement speed. The extra speed from Wex and the ridiculous range on Tornado gives you a lot of reach. Our five-stacks also tend to pick a bit greedily, so having another core parked at middle lane farming up a Hand of Midas (as you do with the QE build) isn't always desirable. That said, I need to work on actually getting in position to repel pushes with EMP-Tornado, in my last Quas/Wex game we'd lost our Tier 1 towers before I knew what was happening.

Quas/Wex being easier is definitely good news for me. In my first game, I completely forgot about Forge Spirits (as an Exort build :lol:). Do you do a lot of Ghost Walk roaming to try and gank seen as you don't have the Sunstrike damage? Or do you just stay in lane and get farmed as much as possible?

Had a couple of fun games as Necrophos yesterday too (17/3/17 and 16/4/16). Building a Mekanism and then just going all out on a Level 5 Dagon is quite funny. Had a good little trio going with JLR (Jakiro) and Trigg (Centaur Warrunner).

Yeah, you're pretty good with Centaur.

Been loving the stealth-bastards lately too. Absolutely dominated as Slark in this game. 688 GPM and 872 XPM :D Riki is really good too. Thought I was going to struggle in one game as I was up against Pudge, Axe, Faceless, Omni and Enigma. Turned out Omni metls a little bit. They sucked at warding though.

If you disconnect for a combined total of 5 minutes of game time you get marked for an abandon and will suffer a loss even if your team goes on to win the game.

That's possible, as I restarted the client twice. But I don't think it would have added up to 5 mins. I asked at the dota 2 dev forum and it seems to be a bug that was supposed to be fixed:

- Fix bug incorrectly giving players abandons if the gameserver was unable to contact the Dota 2 Network at the time the match ended and players left rapidly.

So could be that. The server was clearly having issues, both games either side were totally fine and I wasn't the only one suffering.

I've never, ever seen a player get marked with an abandon and then come back to the game to finish, not in hundreds of games with thousands of players. Can you reconnect to a game once you've been marked as abandoned? That seems illogical, though it would be par for the course. I don't really want to test it :lol: I skimmed through the replay and couldn't see myself being marked with an abandon at any point, but it was a skim. They paused while I was reconnecting, so it wasn't the "no XP=AFK=abandon" thing.

Since this match I've had two or three in low prio that were a right laugh. In my first I went as Batrider and got our bane three kills very early on. From there it was an easy win to the point where I was trolling with my lasso, terrifying brittle heroes like Drow and Windranger by dragging them into bloodseeker over and over :lol:

I had a look at the replay. You were out for 5 minutes over multiple disconnects. Your teammates didn't keep the game paused and you could see the messages pop up that you had 4 minutes remaining, then 3 etcetera. By the time you reconnected for the final time on 38 mins you had suffered the abandon.

Ahhhhhhh. Thanks man. I've never seen that before. Surprised it added up to 5 mins. Is there any way to tell after you reconnect that you've been marked as abandoned, does anyone know? Seems odd that you can reconnect to an abandoned game and not even know until the game finishes.

Shame really, did everything I could to stay in the game and get rid of the lag, but must have been server side. Nothing my end helped, and my next game was perfect.

If you click the button in the top left that brings up the menus, I think it should say 'The game is safe to leave' on the Play tab.

Quas/Wex being easier is definitely good news for me. In my first game, I completely forgot about Forge Spirits (as an Exort build :lol:). Do you do a lot of Ghost Walk roaming to try and gank seen as you don't have the Sunstrike damage? Or do you just stay in lane and get farmed as much as possible?

You still need to stay in lane until level 7 or so, and your rune control is initially even worse than the QE build, since you can't send a Forge Spirit to deny the rune. Ghost Walk is awkward to use early on - it costs 200 mana, and having it in a slot limits you to two spells (one prepared and one invoked) during the actual engagement while Invoke is low-level. It's probably better to set up kills for your other lanes by initiating with EMP-Tornado into Cold Snap. You can force towers with it too, EMP's mana drain can completely prevent the other team from contesting a push. Once you've got an Orchid you can start to roam around for solo kills with Ghost Walk and Cold Snap, it gives you quite a lot of damage and mana regeneration.

I definitely had the standard "reconnect" and "disconnect" buttons and blurb, no mention of the game being safe to leave as you'd expect. Maybe because I was the one who had been marked with the abandon. They could implement a pop up to tell you you've been marked as an abandon and why, I had no idea and did everything I could.

Ingy, having never played Invoker and recently picking up a fancy keyboard with macro buttons, would I get any mileage out of setting some of his spells as macros alongside the usual QWER? Would that make life any easier for learning the hero?