IGNORED

Let's talk about CEX Baby!

Ketchup

Seems their Edinburgh store is turning into a new GAME. I was in on friday having a wee look at the multiple bits of hardware that was more expensive than new (Ouya at £125, Apple TV at £120) and had a member of staff come ask if I needed help. I said no thanks, I'm just looking and with that he wandered off.

Not three minutes later he came over and asked me if I would like to look at any of the cameras and I could try them out if I wanted, again I said no thanks, I am just looking, and he wandered off.

About a minute later he came back and said "All of our laptops have a warranty, would you like me to get one out for you". It was at this point I walked away from him and out the shop.

I was actually planning on buying an apple magic mouse they had in the window, but the fact he wouldn't leave me the fuck alone made me not want to buy from them.

As somebody who likes trading in stuff, I thank God that CEX exists. Imagine if it was just Game, HMV and Blockbusters!

Yes, some of their staff are complete wankers and the Bromley store ( still ) has the worst staff of any shop i have ever encountered (apart from Currys of course), but shopping there is cheap way of buying games and blu rays.

Why didn't you say on first approach that you wanted the mouse?

Because I didn't need help. I wanted to have a look around first. I would have asked for the mouse when I was ready to buy it.

I have to admit, if any of the staff in my store kept on bugging a customer after they had said they were okay, I would have been furious.

My favourite thing about CEX even now, is being able to go onto the website and seeing the trade in and cash prices for everything I want to get rid of so I can practically walk into the store, grab what I want, trade in the crap and be out in record time. No trading in Saints Row 2 for a penny or any other nasty shocks.

They were great last year as well with their cash prices holding for ages. I bought Halo 4, Black Ops 2 and Far Cry 3 from online supermarkets with discount codes and CEX actually gave me more in cash than they cost to buy in the first place. After flogging the DLC tat on ebay as well, I'd actually made about £40 profit!

As well as being able to see the trade-in/cash values on their website, they also list which stores have that item in stock. Very handy, though I don't know how accurate it is. You can also order stuff online and send them your credit note.

London CEX in the 90's was the best ever for imports. Now they are just a Cash Converters for Videogames and stuff.

I remember hanging around there for ages waiting for their deliveries of import PS1 games like Jumping Flash and Air Combat.

As well as being able to see the trade-in/cash values on their website, they also list which stores have that item in stock. Very handy, though I don't know how accurate it is. You can also order stuff online and send them your credit note.

I think the web site is linked to the till system so it should be updated every day.

I remember hanging around there for ages waiting for their deliveries of import PS1 games like Jumping Flash and Air Combat.

The launch day JPN PS1 they sent someone over to Japan to buy some and the people were waiting for the plane to arrive back in the UK to get their console. I think they paid a grand for it.

The launch day JPN PS1 they sent someone over to Japan to buy some and the people were waiting for the plane to arrive back in the UK to get their console. I think they paid a grand for it.

That is pretty brilliant though. Real frontier spirit, or something like that. Days we'll never see again (well, I wasn't aware of it until just now but you get the point, I assume).

How many did they bring back? A suitcase worth? Surely after the air fare and price of the actual hardware they'd have been on for a loss if they didn't bring back a few?

They would have brought back a load of games to sell at a high markup also. I used to have a friend that ran an import game store and would do a little distribution to other indies. We'd always know what time the flight was landing and give a few hours for the games to get delivered only for sometimes the packages to get stuck in customs. I remember him telling me the stories of bringing back suitcases of Sega Saturns from Hong Kong, looking for suppliers at Hong Kongs Golden Centre to get good deals on games. Interesting times.

I remember CEX being this holy grail of computer shops, so I was naturally quite excited when one opened in Gloucester which turned to immediate disappointment upon entering and finding it full of smelly weirdos, selling mobile phones in a slightly more upmarket Cash Converters.

Still good trade in prices though.

Yep, we picked up a launch PS1 for around £1000 from Advance Console in Lowndes Court who did similar, and then flitted between them and CEX for the games.

And to think I baulk at paying over £10 for something on Steam now.

There was a dedicated retro store, tucked away round the back of Goodge St, before they moved it into the basement of the Rathbone Place and the subsequent CEX decline.

Yes, yes there was. I went in there once.

birmingham cex was brilliant during the dreamcast era. loved making the trip and coming back with loads of imports. I even got a mint in box 60hz modded nomad in there for £40 - it's still in the loft. in the days before ebay/yahoo auctions really took off it really was a magic place for gamers.

Retro was in the basement at rathbone, until the flood.

Are you thinking of the CEX near Goodge st. tube that had the pc stuff?

There was a dedicated retro store, tucked away round the back of Goodge St, before they moved it into the basement of the Rathbone Place and the subsequent CEX decline.

Boom. This. And it was amaze. Also, the guy somehow had a US copy of MGS the week it came out above the counter (Must have been a personal copy), and when I mentioned the game he sold it to me for 65 quid. Bargain for the amount of enjoyment I got from it.

further to this, did it use to be here?

http://goo.gl/maps/lG3B3

I seem to recall a bunch of controllers strung up in the window like onions.

No, the door was on the right and the counter on the left. Great staff though Ash, Barry and Graham. All socially dysfunctional in their own way, but they did know their games.

Omg I'd totally forgotten about Lik Sang!! Am pretty sure that's where I ordered my import GC. Good times.

I got Ikaruga for Dreamcast imported from there, so cool! My interest in Import gaming died when Lik Sang closed it's doors... Well they didn't so much close their doors as have them bashed in by an army of Sony's Lawyers #TEAMSONY