IGNORED

F1 2013 (360/PS3/PC - 4 October)

djbhammer

Yeah. A lot of the sport, particularly the older stuff, is like that. SH kind of hinted to that in the video there about how many different people you have to go to so as to be able to put a likeness of an older car into an official product.

Well I am very happy with what's been shown. I'd like more info on multiplayer, but I presume that will come in time.

Hopefully the classic version will sell - clearly this is a dip your toe in the water approach, very sensible. If it sells hell maybe we'd get a full blown classic F1 game next time round. They could be smart and release a classic game at the start of an F1 season when excitement is high and that years game (13, 14 etc) in Sept as normal.

The idea of half the Classic content being restricted to the Premium edition or add-on DLC if you buy the Standard is shameful, imo. Unless the standard edition is priced more cheaply than a normal 360/PS3 release and the Premium is at standard pricing, of course. And pigs may fly.

At least it's better than Grid2 where to my knowledge it's still literally impossible to buy the full game.

EDIT : Ah, so you can at least buy it all then?

Still, fuck them. Not paying £55 for a non-next gen yearly update. I dare say the full thing will be £15 in a Steam sale at xmas and I'll just skip the console versions this time.

How would our season regulars and current F1 fans react to a classic-only game?

As for the rosters in sports games, being current with cars and drivers doesn't matter to me and I'd be happy with any era as long as the driving was good and supported well by the graphics and most importantly, the sound. Oh, and the network code! That'd have to stand up!

Oi Dudley, you didn't mention anti-aliasing! :quote:

:D

Are you referring to running on PC there, kiro? You might be surprised how little it'd need. F1 2012's "It's full of stars!" fast too. There's probably no reason why 2013 won't follow that. Woah, and my old wheel works! If only we could all switch platform (and sully Macs with Windows) in this case...

That speed caused me a problem for a long time on Tuesday as my eyes were double-framing, sort of madly looking for the right point to focus on and rapidly flitting from one side to the other, unable to adjust with the immediate switch from my computer to the 360*.

*That hadn't happened so badly before and felt awful.

Note to self: take a break next time! :lol:

McLaren seem to have fairly close ties with Forza - perhaps some kind of exclusivity deal? I know Forza 5 has the M23.

The owners of Simraceway signed a deal with McLaren back in 2011, this gave them exclusive rights to all McLaren race cars. Turn 10 probably got a sub-license off them to include this (and others?) McLaren car.

How would our season regulars and current F1 fans react to a classic-only game?

I like having a game that reflects the rules of the current season (particularly when we follow the real life races) but I would be open to an additional game/s that has classics only, GP2 etc etc.

Really it just comes down to the style of racing. I prefer the F1 games right now because I enjoy having a set number of tracks and cars to master. The likes of Forza and GT put me off because the number of permutations is seemingly endless. I realise that this is what appeals to many, but for me I like mastering every track in the game and playing against like-minded individuals (such as the league we have going on here).

Yeah that's the appeal of F1 for me. A very focused game that is very tough to truly master. Too much choice is why I don't really bother with forza or any other driving games. Classics does appeal to me, I'll be interested to give it a go in this game but I hope it isn't at the detriment of the overall 2013 experience.

I hope it isn't at the detriment of the overall 2013 experience.

This. Lots of chat about the Classic stuff right now (understandably) but the meat of the game as the series currently stands should be in the 2013 season content. Interested to hear more about the incremental improvements vs. 2012. Tyre scaling coming back is a good thing. Weather needs sorting too, but these are both elements that were already sorted in 2011. What else have they got for us?

Just had a quick look on Steve Hood's Twitter feed and he has confirmed no demo for this year. Sticking with only one practice session as well, McLaren not in due to "another company having the rights to the historic McLaren racers at the moment", no major changes to Spectator mode (shame, could do with some better cameras).

... but for me I like mastering every track in the game and playing against like-minded individuals (such as the league we have going on here).

Agreed on that one. The league we have going is really cool; we can sit around and discuss the next circuit we're doing and the relative handling qualities of our cars and we all know from where each of us is coming from. Plus I just find it really satisfying racing the cars too; the rhythm you get into can be hypnotic, especially around Monaco or when racing against other people. The race we had at Silverstone a fortnight ago was a perfect example - I had to really nail every single lap to keep John for latching into the DRS zone.

Plus I am just a fan of the sport, really. Always wanted to be an F1 driver as a kid, but obviously I wasn't in the 0.0001% who had the talent, money and opportunity. Our racing league here is pretty much as close as I will ever get and it's awesome fun, especially seeing as the core group of us have been racing each other for years now.

Some positive stuff in this video:

Like the late braking and the affect the kerbs have unsettling the car. DRS zone marked on the map is a simple but useful addition for those not familiar with the season in general.

Also, cockpit cam in the video below looks great (shame about lack of sound).

The choice of Williams' probably least successful car of the 80s is an interesting one to put it mildly. I wonder if it's because they don't have a Honda or Ford licences and thus the Judd powered FW12 is their best option.

Some positive stuff in this video:

Like the late braking and the affect the kerbs have unsettling the car. DRS zone marked on the map is a simple but useful addition for those not familiar with the season in general.

Also, cockpit cam in the video below looks great (shame about lack of sound).

Is it just me or does it look a lot faster than 2012?

Looks less like a 'game' - the less saturated look isn't as appealing in a teeny YT video (It looks washed out and pale in comparison) but does make it look more REAL.

When we get it on a big screen in game I recon it will look brilliant. So much more trackside detail - really like the packed to the rafters grandstands for instance :)

Very true. I found a few videos last night (VVV has some up) and I was starting to feel quite excited about a new release. Keen to play it, would be lovely if we got invited in for a pre-release session again (hint hint).

2 hopes for this...

(1) They put the weather back to what it was in 2011's version

(2) The price of the full edition isn't £55

Other than that, the historic "older/classic" stuff has been something I've been banging on about for ages. Ever since the excellent Shift2 DLC pack with the classic cars and tracks. I've long wondered why someone hasn't done a racing game just with classic cars and tracks in it (I'd rather race a Capri than a Zonda)

Its going to be another "patchy" ride though I think, initially...

Other than that, the historic "older/classic" stuff has been something I've been banging on about for ages. Ever since the excellent Shift2 DLC pack with the classic cars and tracks. I've long wondered why someone hasn't done a racing game just with classic cars and tracks in it (I'd rather race a Capri than a Zonda)

25+Mar.+12+02.28.jpg

Its a high risk strategy. Its common sense to put it in a modern F1 title. I'd be surpised if they don't rip people off with the old content.

The older F1 tracks are huge - your talking an average of something like 3-4 miles each (many were changed in 1989).

Thats why simmers go to titles like Rfactor where much of it is available - albeit not as graphically good looking.

25+Mar.+12+02.28.jpg

:o Looks like something born from the gates of hell itself!!