IGNORED

Would you buy a cheaper PS4/Xbone without a disc drive?

Haribokart

Assuming it was say £50 less or something and there was still the option of the unit with a disc drive.

I would - PS4, obviously. The reasons for this are that I have a phat pipe, don't watch DVD/BR and am pretty much a casual gamer now; PS+ & 1 or 2 games a year is roughly my usage along with a lot of Netflix. The drive would be somewhat redundant for me.

Ditto on what Uzi said. If I was convinced digital was the way to go at this moment in time on consoles then yes, definitely. Sadly at the moment it's not in any way, shape or form good value (well, PS+ is, but I mean for new releases) so I'll happily stick to physical media for now.

I'd buy a cheaper one that wasn't full of all the TV, social media and sports bullshit.

Edit: Honestly though, I wouldn't buy a Bone for any reason. Fuck those guys. I would buy a digital-only PS4 though, I'm already happily entrenched in a physical media-less existence.

No, because I live in an area where it's still quicker and more convenient to go down the shops and buy a copy instead of downloading it and it appears BT don't plan to change that for the foreseeable future.

No. I really like the idea of digital distribution and being able to have a history of downloads where I can pick out any of the games I've bought in the past and enjoy them again forever, but it doesn't work like that in reality, and even if it did the pricing is still a bit rubbish (with the exceptions of PS+ and Steam Sales), and you'd be missing out on trade-ins, and I like a good manual (erm, despite downloading Super SFIV AE and being rubbish with the new characters as I can't look their moves up...)

No, I'm at the stage now where downloading a 6gb current gen game is fine, but for 30 gig games like uncharted? Forget it.

Also bear in mind original xbox to 360 went from 500-800 megs to 3-8 gigs. Who knows how big next gen games will be?

Hmmm. I would if they removed Kinect also - and it dropped to £200. AS LONG as you could download everything.

In fact imagine that model; with the guarantee that prices would be less than retail, and would also drop in price after release.

That's tempting for me.

I decided to download The Last Of Us which is a full, Blu-Ray sized game (20-something gigs), and it was a surprisingly easy experience, and didn't take much time at all. So I'd totally be up for an online-only console.

Not yet. I can see myself downloading most of my games next gen (even if you have mediocre / shared internet, you can presumably just set it to download stuff overnight), but if you want to watch films or boxsets you still need a physical disk. Besides, I don't think even with the best internet connection I'd want to be downloading an entire season of Game of Thrones.

Can easily see a market for smaller / cheaper / quieter models without a drive though, maybe we'll see this sort of thing eventually when the slim/lite editions come around.

A few months ago I would have given it serious consideration, but we are just about to move from having fibre internet in the centre of Edinburgh to the sticks, where I'll be lucky to get 5mbps, and the thought off downloading 30gb on that sort of connection sounds shit. So no for me.

No. By doing it you're leaving yourself with no option but to pay whatever Sony/Microsoft are asking for in their online stores. You wouldn't be able to shop around and choose the cheapest option, so assuming they stick to the pricing policies they have this gen that £50 saving would soon vanish.

I believe the publishers set the prices, not MS / Sony? Anyway, I think as downloading games becomes the norm, we'll see more flexibility on pricing. Currently the people who use it are assumed to be willing to pay for the convenience, it's a bit like an early adopter tax. The people who hunt for the best deals aren't using these services yet, once they are publishers will have to consider their pricing strategy more carefully. Look at how well games on Steam do when sales are used as a promotional tool, they'd be mad to not do the same.

The size of AE surprised me (20 gig!). Given that most fighting games are between 3 and 6, I'm assuming AE has the data of vanilla, SS and AE on the disc?

Assuming you're talking about downloading it from PSN, it's video files. SSF4:AE disc install is about 6.7GB on Xbox, if my memory serves me right (I deleted the disc install a little while ago to make room for more games I'll never play because I'm busy playing SSF4:AE), but on the PS3 version they didn't compress any of the video files (attract sequence, arcade mode character-specific intros and endings, etc...) because they had a whole bluray disc to play with and therefore the PS3 version is big.

Assuming you're talking about downloading it from PSN, it's video files. SSF4:AE disc install is about 6.7GB on Xbox, if my memory serves me right (I deleted the disc install a little while ago to make room for more games I'll never play because I'm busy playing SSF4:AE), but on the PS3 version they didn't compress any of the video files (attract sequence, arcade mode character-specific intros and endings, etc...) because they had a whole bluray disc to play with and therefore the PS3 version is big.

FFXIII is something daft like 40gb on ps3, 32gb of which is video. Thats double the entire space the 360 version takes for the whole game, and the FMV's do have quite bad compression artefacts on 360 (although IIRC they used a crappy codec). Hitman Absolution is 17gb on PS3 vs less than 8gb on 360, I can only assume for similar video reasons. Uncharted 3 has both 2d and 3d versions of it's videos which are most of the 35gb of the game, and those are recorded from the game engine (albeit with higher res assets).

Ps3 disc sizes are silly, simply because they had the space available and didn't have to be careful over file sizes, plus in some cases it probably helped loading speeds by repeating data. Microsoft on the other hand originally only allowed multiple discs by express permission (I think Lost Odyssey was the first game "given permission") so devs worked to that limit.

As far as digital games go for Xbone/PS4 I think we may start to see differences in the file sizes for disc and for download, or just better usage in general. Partly because both platforms are changing the way games traditionally load data so seek and transfer speeds could potentially have less impact and data can be better compressed and decompressed. 40gb downloads are not really ideal and are rarely seen digitally because of the impracticability.

No. XCOM is still £50 on Xbox Live, Assasin's Creed 3 is £55 on eshop. Any savings on the console price would quickly be negated by greedy publishers' inflated digital prices. And they wonder why we end up buying used games instead.