IGNORED

Edge #256 - why PS4 is your next console – and the titanic errors on Xbox One’s road to ruin (Now with scores)

murray

WHSmith Cheltenham finally had it on shelves today. It feels a little flimsier than usual but then I buy all kinds of magazines so I'm not too bothered (and most of my Edge magazines end up with pages coming loose over time anyway...)

Hmm, I guess I could grab the PSP version for the Vita next time it's on a PSN sale, if it really is a return to the old style of game (or the DS version on 3DS, if it's cheaper and no worse than the PSP version).

It's not really a return to the old style, it's just the new style with a top-down view. It still has the same "watch cutscene, go and stand in this exact spot to trigger each phase of the mission" type mechanics, but with touch-screen gimmicks for every single one (on DS). And a pretty cool drug-running sub-game.

It's not really a return to the old style, it's just the new style with a top-down view. It still has the same "watch cutscene, go and stand in this exact spot to trigger each phase of the mission" type mechanics, but with touch-screen gimmicks for every single one (on DS). And a pretty cool drug-running sub-game.

Eurgh, maybe not then. Stop throwing overly-scripted missions in your sandbox games, you fucks! *shakes fist at Rockstar*

• 2 weeks later...

Edge has always been quite pro-Sony, even at the start of the last gen when it was clear the PS3 was something of a turkey. Makes sense they back the PS4 this gen as it looks to be the console of choice.

Still find it surprising a publication like Edge is as partisan as they are - imagine they think it boosts circulation or somesuch.

Late to the thread, but I'm not so sure on that. I didn't miss an issue of Edge back at the turn of the current generation and it really was the only place I got my gaming news from because I didn't do podcasts or gaming websites at that time but the issue of Edge with the Xbox 360 on the cover sold me on the machine instantly, I don't think I've ever read such a glowing article about a bit of hardware before or since.

He's not exactly the "head of Edge", he's the head of the whole company. Edge always made its money on the industry ads anyway, so I imagine it's relatively safe.

Aye, but I wonder if the ad money is dropping as severely for EDGE - dropping circulation drops the value of the advertising in a magazine (obviously enough - there's less of a market to reach), but when you're aiming for as narrow a market as industry ads, a niche magazine like EDGE might remain as attractive as it's always been. Just a guess, of course.

We all know our piss-taking of Prankster101 stems from our insecurity over the failure of Rllmuk to generate a news website or expo. I know every day I wake up screaming, fall out of bed onto my knees, and rail at the skies, "WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?! WHY CAN THE FORUM I FREQUENT NOT GENERATE A CONSIDERABLE BRANDED EDITORIAL PRESENCE OR THREE-DAY CONVENTION AT EARL'S COURT?! WHYYYYYYYYYY OH MERCILESS GODS, WHY???!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• 2 weeks later...