Gran Turismo 6 - (GT Academy Demo Out Now!)

I almost forgot this was coming :)

Should try it out sometime soon. I played GT6 for a bit at E3 and it was actually a great drive! (Ask forumite Jack Walsh's coffee shop.) You can really feel the upgraded handling model, which was already quite good in GT5. I'm just hoping GT6 will have a massively improved gameplay structure, from cut down loading times to less concealed features AND a wider range of racing options.

Anyway, the demo has a great selection of cars, so it should keep us occupied for a while. Looking forward to driving them all :)

Please dear Lord, can we have tyres that grip this time ;)

To be honest I reckon GT does a better job of simulating tire grip than Forza from time to time. The feeling a race car being planted solidly on the track and behaving 'snappily' when cornering is much better emulated here. Whereas Forza tends to feel like 'driving on ice' with some of the seriously fast racing (super)cars, even after a couple of laps to heat up the tires.

The real thing is somewhere in between, some semi-pro racing drivers have told me. But the skiddishnes of Forza (still present, though a bit less, in the Forza 5 demo at E3) remains odd.

Theres certainly some subtle physics changes but sadly in the first two races they feel wasted on the fact theres no tension/tyre effects when i'm pushing the tyres so the game doesn't feel massively different to 5.

The last TT seems more exciting (faster car, duh) but if this is the best its FFB is then its a no go for me. In-Game wheel settings set to 7.

In replay the car movement for the most part looks very good and almost like the "Assetto Corsa benchmark" (crashes obv. look pants) but they need to get the wheels dialled in and the G25/G27 are one of their most important wheels.

Maybe i should turn the FFB up a bit more but without the tyre scrub it feels pretty dull. Rumblestrips are fine but just very little road surface tensions and its in the same mode (PS3/G25/HID mode) i run the PC sims with.

Graphically theres some differences to GT5 but not too many. Still has Shadow and AA issues.

Sonically its "GT sound" so not great really if i'm honest.

All 4 races - well lets face it - they're not, are the same as GT5.

While I'm aware this is GT Academy with a demo tagged on, I'm still somewhat underwhelmed by it all. It's no different to GT5, really and two pairs of races where on pair uses an electric car is just naff. You would think they'd go for something a bit more exciting.

Ehh, it loads in under a week - looks nicer, sound is in a different league to the awful noises in GT5 and the tyres actually squeal now! From the few goes on it so far its a revelation compared to GT5 (i much prefer GT5 to F4) with actual understeer feel and brilliant weight shift - GT was always better with trail braking but now its even better.

While as Dima says this isnt going to compete with PC sims its a step closer and a further step away from the psuedo arcadey style forza has pinned its flag too - im pretty excited about this as a full game!

Had a play on this for an hour or so last night and it's a really nice refinment of Gran Turismo 5.

Although it's all on the hard drive as a download, the loading was surprisingly quick, the menu is so much better, shadows are no longer pixelated, the roll in the cars physics is very noticeable and it still looks so solid at 1080p 60fps. Although I noticed some dipping in Suzuka at the final corner.

As long as the content is high and the refinements make it through to the Blu Ray release, it'll be the best sim racing game out there.

Hopefully the next gen brings much better A.I with it. It isn't only GT that suffers. I've had races in Forza where the A.I cars have stayed stuck at the side of the track for the whole race.

Is there no way to turn off the ghost on the time trial races you get last? I was loving it up to that point but I just can't focus at all with another car drifting out of me on the first straight. It's the same with the driving line, I feel like I'm looking at that instead of the road. The driving line was a quick menu option though, and even after quitting and checking the main options I can't find anything.

It's a shame because I was loving it up to that point and I was really looking forward to the time trials, especially with all those practice sections.

I am loving this the more i play it, how some of the times are set is beyond me - i have got gold on the first one but just over a sec off the best and while on my 'quick lap' i cocked up one corner and did a so so first corner i dont think i could take anywhere near a sec off!

The cars in this are so alive, i love it and its seems leaps and bounds better than GT5 to me!!

Add me, shimmyhill as would love to see some faster times to aim for!

Is there no way to turn off the ghost on the time trial races you get last? I was loving it up to that point but I just can't focus at all with another car drifting out of me on the first straight. It's the same with the driving line, I feel like I'm looking at that instead of the road. The driving line was a quick menu option though, and even after quitting and checking the main options I can't find anything.

It's a shame because I was loving it up to that point and I was really looking forward to the time trials, especially with all those practice sections.

Yep, every GT has had the option of turning off the ghosts but only in game.

It might be Select but go into the button configuration and assign the turn Ghost On / Off to an easy to reach button.

Makes me wish I had a PS3 now! Not played a Gran Turismo game in years. Shame its not being released as a next gen title in some respects as I would like to see a direct rival to Forza 4 (from what I've seen, Drive Club is not that rival).

That lap is nuts.

When I am doing Formula One stuff I look at videos of other hotlaps and think 'ah right, yeah - I could do that'. With that one above I look at it and think 'Not a chance - I can't even fathom getting close to that time'.

Yep, every GT has had the option of turning off the ghosts but only in game.

It might be Select but go into the button configuration and assign the turn Ghost On / Off to an easy to reach button.

I think its up on the dpad by default to turn the ghost off. It's in the configuration for sure though.

That lap is nuts.

When I am doing Formula One stuff I look at videos of other hotlaps and think 'ah right, yeah - I could do that'. With that one above I look at it and think 'Not a chance - I can't even fathom getting close to that time'.

It is nuts, sometimes i take half a sec off my ghost on one corner on the 1st challenge, they i fluff the next corner and average the last meaning i always seem t sit around the same time!!

I guess thats what makes the top guys so much better, they hit each corner every time and when they drop time its only tiny bits unlike my good self! Having said that i am having insane fun playing the 'demo' and it really does bode well for the full game :)

He does run rather wide at one corner, sliding it through, I reckon it'd be a much better time if he hadn't have done that.

Certainly not saying I could do better (I highly doubt it), just that certain lines don't look quite right and theres a fair bit of sideways movement at times that will cost him traction and time. It should be smooth in, smooth out.

Have faith Meerman, I am sure it will come out this year :P

In other news I obtained my second silver in the time trials, I feel so proud but can't beat any of Shimmyhill's times ( yet ).

I really do like this demo and thus I am looking forward to the full game.

The shimmering! I don't normally notice, but that first lap round silverstone looks a generational leap back from what I remember.

And then the first Sunday Cup race is fine, by carefully avoiding having any stands or vertical lines. I'm getting the impression we're at the tail end of the generation.