IGNORED

Hit the Road Mattrick

Harsin

Poor Mattrick. He can't have been the only person responsible for the vision.

As many others have noted, I'd loved to read a long form article or book about the goings on in the Xbox division during this whole period. Actually a really comprehensive book about the Xbox 360 era would be great.

the thing is... prior to the product unveiling, everyone at the top of MS would've been pumped for it. They all knew the vision, they all believed in it. This was the machine that was going to get Windows 8 at the forefront of home entertainment and lifestyle.

and now it's not.

I couldn't believe this when I just saw it on flipboard. Snort of amusement it was, great combo.

I don't know how it works at CEO level or what have you but surely this must have been in the works before or at least during E3. Or could it have really turned around that quickly? You'd think there would still be some sort of interview process or something...

As I said in the Xbone megathread, I'm surprised. Word was that Mattrick was tipped for promotion in the rumoured impending Microsoft re-org.

Note that Ballmer's email to employees doesn't have any hint of a succession plan. Also, Mattrick was front-and-center during the Xbox One PR campaign right through up to the present day. I wonder if perhaps Microsoft didn't have a lot of warning here, and Mattrick jumped.

So, anybody want to bet Zynga have been paid to head hunt Don so MS don't have to get rid of him, and then dump him during his probation period. It's been done before.

Zynga's boardroom, next week:

post-663-0-31213700-1372717225.png

Mattrick accepts his new position:

post-663-0-73997900-1372717261.png

Fuck, I really want to watch that film again now.

people love bing and Internet explorer?

Sad thing is, they probably genuinely believe this.

From Ballsack's email:

most importantly, we expanded Xbox to go beyond great gaming to deliver all the entertainment people want — sports, music, movies, live television and much more.

:rolleyes:

Any famous instances ?

Nobody is going to admit to this sort of shit, but the low level version is to give good references employees you would like to see leave. A slightly more proactive technique is to pass somebody's details to a recruiter, and the more extreme thing is to pay the recruiter because that costs less than severance pay.

There was definitely a rumour of the more direct version (actually paying a company to hire, and probably fire, one of your employees) in California a few years ago, but I can't remember who was implicated.

I wonder if perhaps Microsoft didn't have a lot of warning here, and Mattrick jumped.

Presumably his contract would have locked him into at least a six month notice period. I'm guessing he told MS he wanted to leave (thus rejecting his new position in the re-shuffle) and they told him to go now.

So, anybody want to bet Zynga have been paid to head hunt Don so MS don't have to get rid of him, and then dump him during his probation period. It's been done before.

An executive of his level would likely want a fixed term contract to prevent that. Which would be very expensive for Zynga to break off that early.

Get rid of Phil Spencer, who on earth thought he would be good on stage, he just sounds and looks like a patronising twat.

And of course Ballmer is the real problem, since he took charge from Gates he's been terrible. I'm guessing his SHOUT VERY LOUD AT PEOPLE style doesn't actually work beyond bullying college weaklings!

J Allard must be angry looking at what his baby has become.