Rogue Legacy - A PC Metroidvania about family business

Cheers for the recommendations chaps, added to the list.

One more recommendation, more in the classic Rougelike model, is Pixel Dungeon on Android (gotta be on iOS too, not looked though). Nice way to get a bit of that RNG fix while out and about :)

There's no unlocking areas with abilities is there? I thought that's what a metroidvania was?

Well yes, but this is a metroidvania without the metroid bit. Its a randomly generated Castelvania game with RPG stats/levelling/progression. But no item gating.

One more recommendation, more in the classic Rougelike model, is Pixel Dungeon on Android (gotta be on iOS too, not looked though). Nice way to get a bit of that RNG fix while out and about :)

Well yes, but this is a metroidvania without the metroid bit. Its a randomly generated Castelvania game with RPG stats/levelling/progression. But no item gating.

But you do unlock abilities too. Like the double jump and dash. I don't believe that these are essential to finish the game but they are unlocked abilities.

It kind of has them in miniature, I suppose, in that certain rooms have areas that require certain abilities or traits to access - sections that can seem (and often are) impossible at first. RL obviously draws a lot of inspiration from the Metroidvania genre, but I can see that anyone approaching it expecting a traditional MV experience risks disappointment.

Oh, the dwarf character trait is a bit like the morph ball, isn't it? Again, it's just something that applies to one room rather than the entire world.

That is not the same thing, I'm not sure if you're doing this deliberately or whether you do genuinely have a complete misunderstanding about the basic mechanics which make up a "metroidvania."

Anyway, I think I might be done with this very soon. I've reached the final boss in NG+ (which didn't take long) but I can't really be bothered to go through all the remixed bosses and so there's not much else left to do. You can't brute force them as you can the rest of the game and the mechanics aren't nearly good enough to warrant attempting them at the low levels you're forced to. The remixed bosses are frustrating way more than they're fun. I can't be bothered to try and beat the game in under 15 heirs either, for the same reason. It requires precision and predictability in mechanics which the game simply doesn't have.

Another PS+ player here, it was in my basket for a while so bonus that I didn't buy it....

I have gone through the stage of 'this game is rubbish and i keep getting killed all the time' and i am enjoying it - i find it compelling in the same was as Destiny!

Having just killed my first boss, the eye, it appears to have ramped up the difficulty in the castle - is this the case as I was planning on farming upgrades with castle runs!!??

You're wasting your time farming in the castle, really. Clearing one screen in the Land of Darkness is probably more profitable than slowly clearing half the castle, and if you stumble upon chests there you're going to be rich, or you're going to find a good blueprint.

Ok cheers, i tend to not last that long down there - i guess its just getting used to the enemies!

• 1 month later...

Really getting into this again. I played it on PC when it first came out but had one too many runs where I came home empty handed but the PS+ version has given the game a new lease of life. Two bosses down, can get 4-6k on a decent run. Might start attacking the land of darkness soon...

• 2 weeks later...

I've hit a bit of a wall and despite pumping hours into this and only beating the first boss, I think I've seen most the game has to offer.

I wouldn't say that's true, you have a lot more to see. The more skills and runes you buy and the more you level up, the more the game becomes basically unrecognisable from what's it like for you now.

If you've hit a brick wall boss wise then go explore some of the other areas of the castle. If you are struggling to take down the big skull guy then run around for a bit in The Maya (the upstairs part of the castle) where money drops like it's going out of fashion. Get some runes and armour which return health when you attack and go back for the skull. It's easy when you can just heal yourself by killing the small minions he spawns.

• 2 years later...

Just started playing this yesterday, and am really quite into it. It's very compelling, isn't it? I kept telling myself ok, this is the last go, but ended up playing till 2 last night.

I'm levelled up enough now that I can usually clear out the castle, and I've killed the boss (I didn't expect the boss to stay dead between goes), but the other areas seem a bit beyond me at the moment. Well, maybe I could do the forest.

Anyone have any tips for beginners? What are the best things to upgrade in the early game? I've been spreading the upgrades pretty evenly so far, HP probably the most, which is on level 5, I think. The breakthrough for me, where I went from getting a few hundred gold per run to surviving long enough to get a few thousand, was unlocking the ninja, which can one-hit all enemies in the castle, and getting the vampire rune.

Also, is there a list somewhere of what items do? Every time I pray for help at that statue thing, it gives me an item but I have no idea what it does. And many of the traits are a mystery to me. Never mind, I just found a wiki.

Anyway, great game. I'm going to be sinking hours into this.

• 2 years later...
On 29/03/2018 at 11:46, deKay said:

I was hoping this bump was a sequel announcement :(

This bump isn't a sequel announcement, but that's another issue.

Picked this up on Switch this week and it's very fun. Today I had the exquisite pain of getting within 1 hit of killing a boss (the one in the forest), but getting too greedy. The exact thing you tell yourself you won't do.

The grinding feels a little slow (how am I going to reach level 75 on a stat?) but I also think I might just be playing too slowly and not taking risks to find exciting valuable things. That's my way I suppose. But I really love being the glass cannon Hokage - fave class by a mile, so far.